• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

Insoles might help with that, I'm not sure. Orthodics (custom molded insoles) are even better but you'll need a perscription for those, unless you want to shell out 200$. Keep your running feet healthy (I'm being released because of mine).

I got a problem
For anyone who is doing the PT Test to join the army
at least in CFRC Toronto... its REALLY difficult
really stingy on the pushups
i can do about 35 pushups regularly
but the way they want [hands tucked underneath your armpits and chin touching the ground]
i could only do 15....
i need 19 and need help to gain strength fast.... because my retest is on April 25th
i was told to do dips and a static ab exercise to strengthen my triceps and back (respectfully) and i was wondering any other tips

Thanks!

If you want strong triceps there are a number of exercises, I vary mine into pushdowns, overhead extensions, kickbacks and dips. However if you want to get good at the pushups, then you need to do pushups and do them the correct way, the way that they showed you at the pt test. The trick to doing pushups (if there is such a thing) is to get your arms out as wide as you can without being warned by the tester. Shoot for putting your thumbs directly underneath your outer shoulder but don't practice like this, do them the hard way. Also vary your push ups, different positions work different muscles, the closer your arms are to your body the more tricep is involved, try doing diamond pushups. To do this get in the push up position and move your arms close together, now take your index fingers and touch them together and thumbs and touch them together so they form a diamond shape or a triangle depending on how far back your thumbs are. Outside of that, hit the gym and starting pumping iron my friend.  :salute:

I have a question concerning push ups. I have since made them a part of my work outs and have gone from doing 20 consecutive, to around  45-50 consecutive push ups. I try to fit in as many different variations as I can and have noticed much improvement in my ability to do them. Lately, I have started putting barbell plates in my backpack while doing them and pull ups. I was just curious, am I doing more work for little to no gain, or will this greatly improve my abilities in both excercises?

Any resistance(weight) training is good and you will see significant gains. A big mistake that people make when getting ready for the forces is not adding weights to their regime. being able to do 10 v-ups or chin ups is fine, but see how many you can do with a fully kitted tac vest on  8) not the same cup of tea. Seeing as how you probably will never be FIBUA in gym shorts and a t-shirt, adding some weight to your body resistance exercise (Push ups, pull ups, sit ups) is an excellent and profitable idea  :p

Thanks guys, another question. Would it also be benefitial to start running with the extra weight? Also, is there anything specific I can buy or do to do so? I tried it out the other day but with the backpack its not on very firm so unless I ran the entire distance with my hands behind my back to hold the weight, it doesn't work very well.

Don't bother, running is difficult enough on your body besides adding extra weight. However try weight load walking, pack up a ruck sack type deal with lots of weight(cans of soup, I use empty laundry detergent bottles and fill them with water), throw on some boots and have at er, try to WORK UP to 13-15km in a 2hr period, that's what you have to do on course.

For the army fitness test? about 55lbs. In actual fact? More like 75+... start low and increase weight/distance... I like to mix it up... go lighter but faster and farther, or go heavy and hit the hills to work on the leg strength. Whether you run or ruck march, try to get some hills on your route, it's much more challenging and realistic than doing it on level ground...

Thanks Mike.

Theres a perimeter going around the town I live in and it's about 2-3km round. Just need to find the right kind of pack to use. I highly doubt my school bag will last long lol. What kind of bag would I use? One of those hiking/camping packs? I don't have one but I imagine I could get something similiar.

:salute:

A good civy hiking bag would work (M.E.C., North Face etc..), or you could pick up an army bag at a surplus store and get used to what you'll be using once you join.

There are some good bags at Wal-Mart for a damn good price. I got a red/black Canadian hiking backpack that is actually pretty close to the size of the new rucksack system (not as wide but like I said it's close) that I can fill with just as much weight. Even has a waist belt to make it closer to the real thing and best of all it only cost $20. Try looking around the sports section if this interests you any

It does interest me quite a bit, and thanks! That Helps as I'll be leaving town in a couple days and there is a Walmart where I'm going.

:salute:

I use bricks wrapped in old towels in the main bag, normal valise and sleeping pad on the outside. I've used canned food before... it doesn't really matter what ballast you use...

You could use the old Liberal Red Books  :p I use empty laundry detergent containers, you know the big liquid tide ones etc and fill em. I have also used 50lb bags of bird seed, it's cheap too.  8)

Something that I didn't see mentioned (and if it is, I'm sorry, it's 3:40 am before a final exam in University (STRESS! CCRAM! STUDY!... and take a break to check the Army.ca forums ;) ).....

It is the weirdest thing, and I didn't believe it worked myself until I actually tried it. The best thing, apart from stretchin and starting slow with jogging/running....

is pickles...

Dill pickles. o_O  :eek:

Apparently, the combination of the brine and cucumber make a very specific acid that is very beneficial to the prevention of lactic acid in muscles, and having a dill or three 30 minutes before running solved my problems with calf cramps after warmdown after the run. My aikido sensei actually suggested it, so I tried it and BAM! it worked... dumbfounded by it still to this day.

I've got a question mainly just out of curiosity: Say you can only run about 1 km (or not even that), how long would it take you to have your body and heart strong enough to run the 2.4 km? Could you really push yourself for like two weeks or a week and be able to do it by the end of that time period? What would all the ill affects of doing something like that to your body be?

Slow and steady wins the race   :D If you are reasonably fit, then yeah you could probably push yourself and do it in two weeks. However that would increase your risk of injury significantly, try a slow progression course. Heres the one I use, good luck.   8)
http://www.sportmedbc.com/Content/InTraining/Programs/LearnToRun10K%20Program%20New.asp

If you want to increase your speed, consider getting yourself a pair of leg weights. I use these while running. After I run about 2k, I take them off and run home and I feel lighter and faster. It helps strengthen your legs and increase speed.  :D

Back