• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running at BMQ. Do they time you?

• Thread starter Thread starter rormson
  • Start date Start date
Is there a time in the course were they load you up with a heavy pack and combat gear, and send you on a forced march?
Hey Pug, check out the renewed FAQ section, it has really been re-organized for the better! :)

The Army's standard fitness event is the Battle Fitness Test, or "BFT." The BFT is a "Weight-load march" with the requirement
for soldiers to complete 13 km in 2 hours and 26 minutes.

Now, I have a question about BMQ running (I checked but I hope it has not been answered yet or is not in FAQ   :-[)

What kind of surface do you run on regularly during BMQ? I have been having trouble with shin splints if I run on a hard surface or road on a regular basis. I even have special shoes to prevent shin splints, but if i push my luck and run on a hard surface too much I pay the price!   If I run on a field or track, then I never have problems. Anyone here have shin splint problems and can offer some advice?

Faq section reorganized!
Holy CaRp!

Thanx for the heads up PIEMAN I'll check it out now.

Cheers!
P.

Just reading above, 6km in 20 minutes is just a bit slower than a 5:00 per mile pace, which will just about crucify anyone who isn't a very good middle distance or long distance runner.  The JTF-2 qualifying standard is 9:00 for 2.4km, which is a 6:00 per mile pace, and is actually pretty brisk to run.

If you are looking for advice on training to pass the 2.4 km run with a good time, head to a running store and join a clinic, or get a program tailored to what you are trying to achieve.  Probably, it will involve working up to a good base distance (5-6km) and then working on speed from that point using interval training and some moderate speedwork.  Don't increase either your mileage or your speed too quickly if you want to avoid getting injured.  Give it three months, and you should have no problem at all running 2.4 km in less than 12 minutes.  I started from scratch and am not a runner by any means, and in three months I got my time for 2.4 km down to 9:53.  Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Back