• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running at BMQ. Do they time you?

• Thread starter Thread starter rormson
  • Start date Start date
YoungOfficer said:
I'm talking about a reserve BMQ, which we're running in Chilliwack right now.   And no one fails for poor PT performance in reserve BMQ.   As I said, we don't even have the shuttle run PT test.   The test we are going to do for my course is only to see how people improve as the course progresses.   I know some people failed on my CAP(R) course for PT failure, so I'm not sure why some Reservists are evaluated for PT and some are not.  

Alright, now it's all straight in my mind.   I though you were referring to Reg force.

By the way, why does reserves have different standards or ways of going about PT?   In the end, all members, reg or res, should be at the same standard because they are all required to do that same type of work.

Greywolf said:
As for running, if you're running on the track outside, mostly you go at your own pace and if you can't finish 6km or whatever in 20 min...oh well, just try harder next time.  

6 km's in less than 20 minutes you say? Looks like i'll have a lot more to look forward to.

Hey Thaedes, great post. Got alot from it.

Well except for the 'groan' wrt most of the french accents. Don't get me wrong, nothing against the french, regretfully I don't speak it.

There is no PT standard in the reserves.  Because you are only a class 'A' soldier, and are therefore not always under the command of the military, they cannot make you do PT on your own time.  And because they cannot force you to do it, they cannot test it.  That's just the way it goes.  That is why you can see some rather sizeable reserve force members.  Very disappointing.

YoungOfficer said:
There is no PT standard in the reserves.   Because you are only a class 'A' soldier, and are therefore not always under the command of the military, they cannot make you do PT on your own time.   And because they cannot force you to do it, they cannot test it.   That's just the way it goes.   That is why you can see some rather sizeable reserve force members.   Very disappointing.

I read you.  That's undstandable.

i just finished bmq, and you run every morning for about 5k, and if people hang back, you circle around to pick them up therefore adding to the length. Running every morning = borring, wish they woukld throw in some circuit training

YoungOfficer said:
I'm talking about a reserve BMQ, which we're running in Chilliwack right now.   And no one fails for poor PT performance in reserve BMQ.   As I said, we don't even have the shuttle run PT test.   The test we are going to do for my course is only to see how people improve as the course progresses.   I know some people failed on my CAP(R) course for PT failure, so I'm not sure why some Reservists are evaluated for PT and some are not.  

Thanks YoungOfficer. This reply is useful in relation to the question that I started this thread about which was for the Reserves. Is your BMQ course being held on weekends?

:cdn:

y2k, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info bro!

Another clarification needed  :P

If I want to achieve more or less the level they want to see at the END of BOTC, is it enough that I can run 45 min without really big effort or it has to be 1 hr?
So far, I'm just afraid to push for more  :-[

:salute:

nice advice thades
maybe thades or gerywolf can answer this question ...whats PO stand for, is it platoon offficer??
also if you can let us know whats the required amount of pushups during basic PT test??
thx

PARAMEDIC said:
nice advice thades
maybe thades or gerywolf can answer this question ...whats PO stand for, is it platoon offficer??
also if you can let us know whats the required amount of pushups during basic PT test??
thx
Those things even I know (correct me someone pls, if I'm wrong)  :dontpanic:

PO is Petty Officer (navy).
Pushups - 19 at the beginning (same as the first one), 30 by the end of the course (taken from the info booklet that I received just b4 swear in)

:salute:

In BMQ, the push-ups required are the minimum as set out in the CF Fitness standards and this
standard is used in the BMQs fitness test.   No where are you required to do 30 push-ups by the
end of the course. BMQ is not a fitness course.

HOWEVER.   Given the amount of PT and conditioning that you get during BMQ, it is likely the
number push-ups you can do at the beginning and at the end of the course will increase.
Weight-lifters acutally complain about loosing muscle mass though.   When training for the
fitness test, its better to focus on a over-all fitness (strength, endurance, and cardio) program
for the activities you'll be doing once you get into the military.   Training only for the minimum
standard or just for the fitness test won't be useful.

In the military, you may be tasked for long marches, carry heavy loads like rucksacks, deploy
to an area and set-up equipment, maintain combat readiness, move around/over obstacles,
work long hours with little sleep, and being in excellent physical shape is very helpful.  It
can stretch an individual physically, mentally, and emotionally and good physical conditioning
helps to keep one persevering as well as good attitude, teamwork, and drive.  I wouldn't
worry about the number of push-ups or push-ups specifically, just get into the best
over-all shape you can to meet the challenges you may face in the military.

Thanks for the clarification, bert!

I was not sure if what they have in the booklet is the exact level to pass or just an approximate reference  :)

thx tigger for clearing things up .

I know it stands for petty officer but i was confused as to if it would be different in the army as to navy
coz i wasnt sure if navy ranking would be applicable to the army or vice versa.
i was thinking that army PO stands for something completly different than navy PO

thx  :)

Good info Thaedes, thanx!

I'm an older fart (36) so I wasn't looking forward to the running, but now I have a better idea of what is coming up.
I used to run, and do track so It shouldn't be a problem to get back to it, and work off my "married weight". ;D

Time to buy me some Runners...

Cheers!
P.

I'm still curious, what those "reference figures" in the info booklet mean then. The say that you have to do 2.4 km in AT LEAST 12 min.
I can run now 8 km for 52 min, so supposedly I'm ok. But I'm almost killing myself  :threat: and sill CANNOT make these 2.4/12 min. Does it mean I'm at the risk of not passing something (even at the initial PT re-evaluation)?  ???

You don't have to meet that standard on your course.  You don't even have to be close to it.  Mainly the course staff will just be looking for an improvement.  If you start the course doing 2.4km in 16 minutes and end the course doing it in 15 minutes, it'll be noted that your PT standard improved, and that's that.  A low personal PT standard will not fail you off a course unless it's so bad that you're unable to keep up in the field.

Don't worry, Tigger, we can be jogging buddies on course.  I can go far, but not fast.

Is there a time in the course were they load you up with a heavy pack and combat gear, and send you on a forced march?
Or is this Hollywood BS?

Cheers!
P.

Back