• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general

Now, I might be picking fly sh*t here, but it seems to me that the two concepts contradict one another:

You can not simultaneously be "strongly united" in "approach and values" yet have a "range of perspectives" that "represent the range of perspectives of Canadians".

:dunno:

This is the Trudeau quote I like the most (to sarcastically mean the least):

“We know that Canada has to play a strong and effective role on the world stage in ways that suit our capacities and we’re looking to make sure that that happens right,”

Really! "Has to play"! No choice? We'll be the pariah of the world if we don't? The UN will sanction us if we don't?

Come on: We have no specific obligations to the world other than the ones we chose/elect/decide for ourselves to take on. Give me a break!

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Now, I might be picking fly **** here, but it seems to me that the two concepts contradict one another:

You can not simultaneously be "strongly united" in "approach and values" yet have a "range of perspectives" that "represent the range of perspectives of Canadians".

:dunno:

This is the Trudeau quote I like the most (to sarcastically mean the least):

“We know that Canada has to play a strong and effective role on the world stage in ways that suit our capacities and we’re looking to make sure that that happens right,”

Really! "Has to play"! No choice? We'll be the pariah of the world if we don't? The UN will sanction us if we don't?

Come on: We have no specific obligations to the world other than the ones we chose/elect/decide for ourselves to take on. Give me a break!

The current PM does a fantastic job connecting with Canadians on an individual level that totally destroyed Harper. But when it comes to gravitas on matters of substance he comes across as totally inadequate intellectually to see outside of talking points and buzz words. His government is so focused on getting into the UN Security Council that they cannot fathom that our military is quickly becoming unable to deploy from Shilo to Wainwright let alone deploying to Africa. I'm getting more and more disillusioned in our Defence Minister who may be a great guy but seems to be nothing more than window dressing for the current PM.

FSTO said:
The current PM does a fantastic job connecting with Canadians on an individual level that totally destroyed Harper. But when it comes to gravitas on matters of substance he comes across as totally inadequate intellectually to see outside of talking points and buzz words. His government is so focused on getting into the UN Security Council that they cannot fathom that our military is quickly becoming unable to deploy from Shilo to Wainwright let alone deploying to Africa. I'm getting more and more disillusioned in our Defence Minister who may be a great guy but seems to be nothing more than window dressing for the current PM.

That, I believe, is the reason he was hired by the Liberal Party of Canada "Inc." and why he is stumping the countryside doing townhalls and by-elections with the occasional foreign foray.  Trudeau serves the Liberals in the same manner that Her Majesty serves Canada - a figurehead.

Rifleman62 said:
... “I’ve been around the Liberal party an awfully long time, as you all know, and I’ve never seen a caucus as strongly united in our approach and our values,” Trudeau said on his way to the meeting, which was in its second day.

“One of the great strengths of the Liberal party is there is always a range of perspectives that allow us to represent the range of perspectives of Canadians,” he said.
"Until I decide what we do ..."

Rifleman62 said:
If you mean Mr. Trudeau you forgot the smiley.
I did mean same, but I was serious - especially in a majority government situation ;D

Don't bet on much "all of government" support in any mission either. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/congo-un-investigators-dead-1.4045026

It's not a place (UN missions to Africa) we should be sticking our nose into as far as I'm concerned.

Colin P said:
Don't bet on much "all of government" support in any mission either. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/congo-un-investigators-dead-1.4045026

I understand the found a warehouse full of tropical tans and Hush Puppy tropical shoes left over from the Golan.  So there the uniform supply problem solved..............

I love how this thread started in July of 2016 and has 33 pages.

ArmyVern said:
... Or not.

I heard a month ago there was a shortage of things like flying suits and NCDs, and no money for new ones.  Stopped by Clothing today...still a shortage of operational kit.  Can't even get t shirts and socks!  Maybe they are waiting for the year long Defence Review to be complete to decide if military mbrs need uniforms and socks.

:pop:

We should start a GoFundMe page and raise money to get decent uniforms that won't fall apart after 4 months. Oh and don't forget boots as well...

A little something from the DND Info-machine (also attached in case the link doesn't work for you) on what the CAF's already up to in Congo ...
On Operation CROCODILE, members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) are working to help bring peace to the volatile region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

Currently, there are nine Canadian Armed Forces members serving in important leadership, planning, and liaison roles on this mission. Colonel Pierre Huet is the Task Force Commander for Operation CROCODILE, and also serves as the Deputy Chief of Staff Operations and Plans for the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) in Goma. In this latter role, he is responsible for the planning, execution, and coordination of all military operations in the DRC.

Canadians deployed on Operation CROCODILE are providing much needed advice, support, and knowledge to the nations involved with MONUSCO. Although a small group, the Canadians deployed on this mission bring a lot to the table.

“The Canadian contribution has a significant impact on the mission because of our varied experience and education,” says Colonel Huet.  “Our willingness to work hard and our can-do attitude make a big difference with the mission.”

One of the Canadian contingent’s main tasks is liaising with the Forces armées de la République démocratique du Congo (FARDC), offering mentorship and planning assistance to their forces. In the DRC, MONUSCO operations are conducted against armed groups on a monthly or even weekly basis, keeping the Canadian forces very busy with liaising and planning.

Over the course of this operation, the drive and determination of the CAF members and their partners from diverse nations has led to many successes and noteworthy moments.

In July 2016, Colonel Huet assisted with the extraction of more than 750 South Sudanese people who were under threat in the jungles of the DRC. They now reside in the safe custody of UN forces in Goma, DRC.

During his tour on Operation CROCODILE, Colonel Huet has been working to implement two operating concepts that have been approved by the Force Commander and the FARDC. These concepts are currently under development and testing for future use.

The first, Concept Weaponize, regulates how the MONUSCO Force Intervention Brigade conducts offensive and targeted operations against armed groups in the DRC. The second is the Combat Liaison Support Team. This concept will form small teams of soldiers who will mentor the commanders of the FARDC. Mainly, they will assist the FARDC with the execution and planning of missions at the formation headquarters level.

“Canadian Armed Forces members are working to strengthen the Congolese army,” says Colonel Huet. “By providing our experience and expertise to them, we will help them to grow and learn as an organization, making them more efficient on the ground.”

Operation CROCODILE is Canada’s military contribution to MONUSCO. This mission aims to protect civilians, facilitate peacebuilding, and prevent armed conflict in the DRC. Initiated in 1999 under the rubric of MONUC, and later rebranded as MONUSCO in 2010, the mission draws on the support of approximately 17 000 soldiers from 54 nations worldwide.
... as well as a Global Affairs Canada info-machine statement on whazzup in Congo:
The Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today issued the following statement:

“Canada is deeply troubled by the escalation of violence and the worsening political situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

“I am horrified by the continued violence in the Kasaï provinces, including recent reports of beheadings of ambushed police officers, as well as the discovery of the remains of two missing UN investigators and their Congolese translator. Our thoughts are with the families of the victims.

“We condemn these violent acts and remain deeply concerned about the resurgent violence and human rights violations committed in the country in recent months.

“Dialogue between the government and the opposition is now needed more than ever, as is an investigation of any human rights violations to ensure the perpetrators are held accountable.

“We join the international calls for all parties in the DRC to fully implement the political agreement facilitated by the National Episcopal Conference of the Congo (CENCO) on December 31, 2016. This includes the appointment of a prime minister from the opposition and paving the way for early elections, in accordance with the terms of the agreement.”

Attachments

daftandbarmy said:
Belgium has done an excellent job with their former colonies. Almost as good as Portugal. Now we can pick up the mess, or (hopefully) not.

Was Somalia not a Portuguese Colony?

Opps!  I think I am missing the sarcasm......Sorry.

George Wallace said:
Was Somalia not a Portuguese Colony?

Opps!  I think I am missing the sarcasm......Sorry.

Sarcasm or not, Somalia was an Italian colony and the Portugese never made a serious bid for it.

Trying to imagine a "good" place to go, and I'm coming up empty.

Brasidas: There was also British Somaliland:

britishsomalilandmap.jpg

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/maproom/britishsomaliland.htm

Mark
Ottawa

A rare time when I agree with the Crvena Zvezda (PM Justin Trudeau: Ditherer-in-Chief?):

Canada should not promise on peacekeeping and fail to deliver: Editorial
When it comes to peacekeeping, better to deliver on a more modest commitment than to make ambitious declarations and then balk at carrying them out.

By Star Editorial Board

Follow the bouncing ball:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Feb. 16, 2016: “We are determined to revitalize Canada’s role in peacekeeping.”

Toronto Star, July 14, 2016: “Canadian troops will soon be headed to Africa as the federal government makes plans for a new peacekeeping mission.”

Justin Trudeau, Dec. 4, 2016: “We have a dangerous world right now... and we cannot simply sit back and say ‘we’re not going to do anything about it’.”

Justin Trudeau, March 25, 2017: “We have a difficult history in Africa as peacekeepers… That’s a decision we’re not going to fast-track.”

What a difference a few months make. A government so eager to get back into peacekeeping, to have Canada “step up” and assume its responsibilities as a committed member of the United Nations, now hesitates at the water’s edge.

There are plenty of understandable reasons for this. The international landscape has changed dramatically with the election of Donald Trump. UN missions in Africa are dangerous and difficult. They are more akin to counter-insurgency than to traditional blue helmet operations.

Taking time to get it right makes sense. But Canada’s drawn-out hesitation waltz carries its own risks, and they are undermining the very purpose of the government’s original intent.

It was just over a year ago that Trudeau pledged Canada was back as a staunch member of the UN and formally announced his government’s intention to win back a seat on the Security Council at the first opportunity.

And it was seven months ago that the government outlined in some detail the scale of its commitment to peace operations: $450 million over three years and up to 600 troops.

The UN and key allies welcomed the move warmly. France, in particular, is eager for help as its soldiers battle Islamic extremists in Mali. And as far back as November, UN officials were saying Canadian troops were urgently needed in Mali, where more peacekeepers have died than anywhere else in the organization’s long history with such operations.

But now, as the government quite clearly pushes any mission to Africa onto the back burner, it runs the risk of letting down the very allies whose hopes and expectations it deliberately raised. Already, a Belgian general has been put in command of the UN’s Mali mission, a position that was being held open for a Canadian.

What are our allies to think? If 2017 drags on with no decision, they will be hard-pressed not to conclude that when it comes to peacekeeping, Canada is all talk, no action [emphasis added]. If committing troops to a difficult mission was key to making Canada’s case to rejoin the Security Council, surely failing to commit them will undermine that same case.

At this point, it seems better for the government to figure out exactly what it is prepared to do and how much risk it is ready to assume, and then carry through with that. Better to deliver on a more modest commitment than to make ambitious declarations and then balk at actually carrying them out.

The world is clearly ready to welcome Canada back to a more active role in peacekeeping, peace support, and similar operations. The government needs to do a better job of matching its rhetoric with the reality it is ready to deliver on the ground [emphasis added].
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2017/03/31/canada-should-not-promise-on-peacekeeping-and-fail-to-deliver-editorial.html

Indeed, what must allies and friends think?  Donald Trump, if he should notice?  Certainly SecDef Mattis and SecState Tillerson will.

Mark
Ottawa

They need to get used to the idea of the PM promising and reneging, like the rest of us.

It's Trudeau time!.... everybody dance.  And take selfies. 

Back