• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
LittleMagellan said:
And like I said, I will otherwise be picking my nose for two months and would like to make use of my time as best as possible if I am given the opportunity.

First off, I know where you're coming from. The desire for a basic para can eat away at you*

So may I suggest that you don't pick your nose for two months. Wherever the army assigns you at this level of your development, you will likely have free time. Use that free time. Initiative's a good thing.

Spend more time at the gym: (and don't just think bulked-up bodybuilder, but work on infantry-useful fitness: cardio, flexibility, core strength - - chin-ups will help you over a ledge; squats will help you lift that ruck...one - more - damn - time

Read: You're a warrior. There's all kinds of info out there that you should be absorbing. Not just current war stories and lessons learned bitched-about. Read some of the leadership stuff coming out of the CF Leadership Institute. Read the old stuff - - maybe not Clausewitz or Jomini, but maybe the USMC Small Wars Manual, Clutterbuck, Thompson, TE Lawrence, de la Billiere.

Life: While the concept of the "warrior monk" may be cool, it's not practical. Have a talk with your CoC about helping out some local unit - Res, Cadets, Navy League, whatever. It'll broaden your horizons, introduce you to different styles of leadership and the requirements of those being led.

No, really, Life: If you've got time to mellow out, and not be doing mach 3 with your hair on fire - - take it! Soon enough, you will have wa-aaay too many things on your plate. Enjoy some down time while you can. If you have no life, learn some completely non-mil skills: musical instrument; some artform, like painting, sketching (which may prove useful); go see some plays, concerts, public outings. Note: get into mime, I'll kill you myself.

[I assume you'll ignore that last one. But remember, I told you so. Enjoy downtime!  ;)  ]

LM, life is too short. Use it well.

--------------------------
* ahh....but then there's DZ/LZ Ctl, JM, Pathfinder, MFP, MFP JM - - it never ends when you're a jump junkie...or so I've heard  ;D

Thank you, that was the most helpful reply I have received so far.
Would I be able to get on the Lave III gunner course not having done my Phase III?
Basic Mountain Ops is another one that I would like to get done, but those are run by the individual units are they not?

By the end of BOTP, you've done what?  Learned to shine you boots, point the C7 rifle in the right direction, and drill, and the principles of leadership?  I am not to familier with the course names on the officer (dark) side of the army, I but I am assuming that the B in BOTP is Basic....If that is not the case ignore the rest....

Don't get ahead of yourself or build your hopes too high... I dont see the likelyhood of getting on a Mountain Ops/Para/LAV course with 4 weeks in uniform. I totaly encourage you to try to get on whatever you can, but keep it realistic, but the suggestions on the misc. courses or SLT seems like your best (likely) bet.

Mud Recce Man said:
Well they actually cover alittle more than that in the 15 weeks of training currently on IAP/BOTP but I think I know what you meant.  IAP is 9 weeks followed by 5 weeks of BOTP. 

Research before you preach?

;D

FWIW...I had one OCdt (I think) and two 2Lts on my basic para...not impossible but...likely?  Who knows.  All I know is what my buddy who is posted to one of the "3rds" told me when he got back from Trenton on stand-by in late Jan of this year...

I never claimed to be an expert  :-[ and retract the 4 weeks comment... however the FNG factor remains fairly high even after 15 weeks...

BTW... It would only makes sence that BOTP is the first course...  B does stand for basic right?   Wait.... There I go again with what seems logical... I should have know better... Logic....pfffff....

DF/MRM - - are you helping, or on your own personal tangents? That's why god Mike B created PMs.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Actually IAP/BOTP is now a total of 18 weeks.
IAP is 11, and BOTP is 7.
Thanks Journeyman, your post was also helpful.
If I could get on the LAV course that will also take a mod off of my Phase IV I believe as well, which would be helpful.
I think the Basic Mountain Ops course used to be run out of the CPC... but I looked at the LAWC website and it wasn't on the course list... so I just assumed they didn't run it anymore and that it was done out of the units.  As CND Aviator said, I believe they only run the Advanced Mountain Ops course and the Mountain Ops Instructor course.

Desert Fox said:
I never claimed to be an expert  :-[ and retract the 4 weeks comment... however the FNG factor remains fairly high even after 15 weeks...

BTW... It would only makes sence that BOTP is the first course...  B does stand for basic right?   Wait.... There I go again with what seems logical... I should have know better... Logic....pfffff....

It's also BASIC para... I don't see what's out of reach for an Ocdt or 2Lt on that course...

Max

ALRIGHT... maybe I should be more specific in my question.
So, I'll send a memo to my SEM.  If that doesn't work, should I send one to his boss depending on his reasonings? (if they make legitimate sense, then I won't... but if he is just basically saying no because he doesn't want to make the effort to figure it out... then should I?)
Or should I send an memo to the MA for infantry? (and who is it anyway?)

And because I'll be in Ottawa, Trenton is not that far away.  Will I get turned away by the school if I just show up?  Who do I contact to get on a waiting list.
And please, if you don't know the answer to the question, don't just make assumptions.

edit:
Oh yeah, and this does not just apply to the Basic Para Course (although it is my prefered choice)
Who should I contact about the Lav III course, or the Basic Mountain Ops course... or ANYTHING else related to my trade?

Drop the show up unannounced bit... I know not to and it's not exactly what I meant anyway... I wasn't planning on going down there without telling anyone... but never mind anyway.

Thanks for the info on the career manager... that's exactly what I'm looking for because it would be nice to hear what kind of options I have from them... and they could arrange it etc.  I would definitely like hanging out at a btn for the summer, even if it was doing coffee runs because I'd learn a lot by just watching.

Hey, I was just wondering does ROTP pay for residence if u go to a civi university, Thxs.

From:  CFAO 210-13 -- SUBSIDIZED UNIVERSITY EDUCATION -TUITION, FEES, TEXTBOOKS AND INSTRUMENTS

PERIOD OF ACADEMIC SUBSIDIZATION
8.     A selected candidate will be subsidized for that period of time
required to receive a Baccalaureate degree. The candidate must be
registered as a fulltime student and must follow the number of courses for
each semester required to progress normally from year to year. Normally,
the period of subsidy will be four years if accepted from high school or
Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) with the credits
required for admission to an approved programme of studies at a Canadian
university. The period will be five years for those accepted from high
school, secondary school or CEGEP at the level one year less than that
required for admission to an approved programme of studies at a Canadian
university, or if the candidate is selected to attend a university at which
the accepted degree programme takes five academic years to complete. The
period will be three years for those accepted for a general Baccalaureate
programme at a university that will grant such a degree after three
academic years. The maximum period of subsidization is five years. Should a
member be enrolled with part of a degree programme completed, the period of
subsidization will be only that time required to complete the programme
with a full complement of courses each semester.

No.  If you go to civy university then you have to pay your own room and board.  Those that are in military college have deductions from their pay to account for the cost of rations and quarters.

Correct.  You pay for your Room and Board out of your salary (You will more than likely need a loan, as OCdt. salary is often times not enough, depending on how you live and where you live).

angrydevil said:
Hey, I was just wondering does ROTP pay for residence if u go to a civi university, Thxs.
Just an off topic word to the wise, lose the msn speak around these parts, tends to go over not well at all with some.  To be fair though this ones mighty minor compared to others.

I think I actually get some compensation for my rent. Something like 160 bucks a month. It varies depending on where you live, I forget what they refer to it as.

MC said:
I think I actually get some compensation for my rent. Something like 160 bucks a month. It varies depending on where you live, I forget what they refer to it as.

Post Living Differential, or PLD for short. It varies greatly between locales, Halifax is $374 a month while other places are next to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back