• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've SPAMMED this site with your questions.  Once is enough.

This is too much.  Any more and you and your question will be removed.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/67933/post-635880.html#msg635880

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/67934/post-635882.html#msg635882

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/67933/post-636164.html#msg636164

Do anyone know if Memorial University in St. Johns Newfoundland is a CF accredited university. Also, does the CF need a reason to send you away to school, even if the tuition is much cheaper?

stefwills said:
Do anyone know if Memorial University in St. Johns Newfoundland is a CF accredited university.

Yes, there are several members currently attending MUN; the CDS is a MUN alum.

Also, does the CF need a reason to send you away to school, even if the tuition is much cheaper?
What?

Sorry.
I am currently a student in Ottawa, but I will be going to MUN next year, and I was wondering if it was a problem with me going to school in Newfoundland.

Yes, I know this is a necro post, but I don't believe it merits a new thread.

I was looking through medical categories for things like "parachutist" and "submariner", and various traits are listed, like a CF occupation has required traits.  Does anyone know if this means (in the case of a parachutist) that when it says V3, a Vision Category of "3" would be required to take the CF BPara course, or is this the Cat to be employed in a jump position within a Jump Coy?  I'm a V4 and would like to have my ducks in a row before I approach my SEM, etc. with a "stupid" question.

Corps of Guides said:
Does anyone know if this means (in the case of a parachutist) that when it says V3, a Vision Category of "3" would be required to take the CF BPara course, or is this the Cat to be employed in a jump position within a Jump Coy?  I'm a V4 and would like to have my ducks in a row before I approach my SEM, etc. with a "stupid" question.

Why would someone be loaded on a para course if they are unable to be employed as such because they do not meet the minimum medical standard for parachutist?  Basic para is not there to provide adventurous training for those who want it; it is run because there is bonafide need.  If it says a parachutist needs to be V3, that also applies to the training.

I was in a similar situation to yours a few years ago.  Here is what I would suggest:

As already previously mentioned - take care of the OPMEs as soon as possible.  They will be difficult to complete once you are on phase training and equally as difficult once you are at a Battalion. 

In my opinion, doing OJT at a Battalion may not be such a good idea.  I have done a lot of OJT as a commissioned officer awaiting training at the LT rank level (I was a former NCM).  I was left alone because of my rank but I saw alot of OCdts and 2LTs get "the shaft" - from both officers and NCMs.  If you want to do OJT that is fine but be prepared for a potential let-down of expectations.  From my experience, the Battalions are not as busy in the summer (apart from summer taskings, etc...) but summer is generally a more relaxed time - just because of block leave and the lack of company and BN exercises.     

Technically, you do not have a career manager per se, as the official career managers do not have you on their files until you are MOC qualified and off the BTL.  Therefore all your requests are handled through the SEM and ULOs.  Therefore, you really become your own career manager.  You need to figure out what your priorities are and then request through your chain of command assistance to get you where you need to be - be it a para course or registration for OPMEs. 

Make sure you put the SEM and ULO to work.  Ensure that they understand what you want.  Make sure you do all the leg work and research prior to making any requests but make sure they give you what you need.  You may have to accept NO as their response to your requests but ensure that they can give you a reason why.

I hope my two cents worth has been of some help

Good luck       

Well, my friend with the LERs in Edmonton said that the best way is if you know someone who knows someone at the CPC, and they can tell the Adj there to load on the next course. Sometimes calling the Trenton base and just finding extensions for the school might dig up some good leads! Sometimes, the Army helps those who help themselves!

Hoooah!

Oinkoink69

oinkoink69 said:
Well, my friend with the LERs in Edmonton said that the best way is if you know someone who knows someone at the CPC, and they can tell the Adj there to load on the next course. Sometimes calling the Trenton base and just finding extensions for the school might dig up some good leads! Sometimes, the Army helps those who help themselves!

Hoooah!

Oinkoink69

Cutting channels will land you in hot water. Never mind the second hand info and rumours. Just stick with your Ops and CofC. Schools don't like cold calls from prospective candidates.

recceguy said:
Cutting channels will land you in hot water. Never mind the second hand info and rumours. Just stick with your Ops and CofC. Schools don't like cold calls from prospective candidates.

Do you work at a school? Like I said, it worked well for my friend - he had his jump wings on show at the last parade, and it was da bomb!  :salute:

oinkoink69 said:
Do you work at a school? Like I said, it worked well for my friend - he had his jump wings on show at the last parade, and it was da bomb!  :salute:

It wouldn't be the first time, and surely not the last, that a person may have sewn on Jump Wings without earning the Qualification.  Sometimes they simply receive a slap on the wrist and told to take them down; sometimes they are charged under the NDA and face serious financial repercussions.  Whatever the story, even "Legs" have no time for this type of "Poser".

MedTech said:
Also... dont you need some BASIC courses before you can even be considered for Basic Para? I mean... completing your MOC may be a good way to go? I've been waiting for years to get on a Para course. The chances for PRes MedTechs were slim then, and it's even slimmer now, that I'm an HCA.

Actually you don't need to have your moc training complete b4 you do basic para. they will take you moc into account when considering you as a potential candidate for the course. clearly if you are any cmbt arms trade you have a better chance of getting on the course. how ever they may require cap b4 you can even be considered to be put on the waiting list. just keep talking with you sem and use any contacts you may have in an attempt to get on the course.

Shane

R. Warren* said:
I did a search and missed it, IF SO, please delete my thread.

In Canadian Colleges/Universities you have
a 3 yr degree and a 4 yr degree. Im still trying to figure that
out. So my question in relation to ROTP is, Do you need the 4 yr degree
or will the 3 yr degree work as well?

You can do a 3 yr prgm at civ u pending your sem's approval. I just got approval to do a 3 yr general arts degree. however it is not recommended to do a 3 yr program if you are going to attempt to become a sr officer b/c one of the considerations for promotion to maj is your education level. also i would look into doing OPME's before you graduate uni b/c you will have to do them later on in your career.

Shane

When it comes to Civie U some people who take far too many courses in their first year and over their summers can manage to shave off some time off their degree yet still earn the full amount of credits of a 4 year bachelor's degree, however doing so puts significant mental stress on those people and they often become reclusive hermits, which are not the type of people to become officers.

If it is a specific program tailored to be 3 years long i.e. less overall credits, that would be something you would have to ask the CFRC when you apply.

albe8660 said:
You can do a 3 yr prgm at civ u pending your sem's approval. I just got approval to do a 3 yr general arts degree. however it is not recommended to do a 3 yr program if you are going to attempt to become a sr officer b/c one of the considerations for promotion to maj is your education level. also i would look into doing OPME's before you graduate uni b/c you will have to do them later on in your career.

Shane
I always thought university education level was only important beyond the rank of maj. That going to Col and above required a masters degree or PhD.

This site states: http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=23
The Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) comprises a full undergraduate education (to the Bachelor’s degree level) at the Royal Military College of Canada ...
For my honours it's required that I take 6courses a semester instead of the 5 per semester for bachelors(or you can stay a 4th year if you take 5 courses a semester). Would it not be the same for RMC and civilian uni's?

A normal course load at UBC (Which is what I'm going to use as an example since I'm going there and so I know the system) is 5 courses per semester for 4 years. That is the normal amount of time it should take to receive a standard bachelor's degree with a single major. In order to achieve an honours degree, more 300 and 400 level courses are required in order to achieve the degree, which often means the degree can run into a 5th year. It is the same amount of credits (30 per year) however there are only 2 years in which students normally take their upper level courses (3rd and 4th year) which means taking more can create the need for at least an extra semester.

Summer semester courses can remove this extra burden, however for ROTP your summers are taken up with military training which removes that option. The requirements for an honours degree are often the same as those for a double major where the honours degree represents an intense focus in a single subject area, and the double major represents a normal major focus in two.

Diversity is a wonderful thing.  I went to UWO (Go Stangs!) as a UTPNCM candidate.  At Western, a BA was a three year program, with certain academic requirements, and so forth.  A BA (Honors) was a four year program, with higher academic requirements.  As for ROTP, a 3 year degree 'can be done'.  A fellow UT wasn't doing so well, and dropped from a BA (Honors) programme to a BA programme.
As for your rating once completed, a BA = BA (Honors) as far as meriting, etc.

The only benifit of an honours degree comes when you start looking at graduate studies. Many universities want a person to have an honours degree in their major in order to qualify.

I was wondering who else is taking the plunge to attempt to become an officer in the Canadian Forces in this year's round of selection? The selection is in mid-January and entails going to IAP in the summer of '09 if you are selected and then heading out to the institution of your choice the following fall.

I'm curious if you guys are wanting to attend RMC or not, and which 3 trades you are trying for. Personally, I'm an RMC hopeful and I am putting Infantry, Artillery, and Armour on my application, but I'm not 100% certain on the order as of yet.

Post your stuff, and maybe we can keep in contact just in case we meet up at IAP in the summer.  :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back