• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists Job Protection Superthread

BC Ambulance Service, and CUPE 873, have reached an agreement wrt leave for military deployments.  Unlimited in duration, with protection of both seniority and comparable position, is the word I've gotten from the VP (though not seen in writing yet).  With the attrition we're facing in the BCAS due to retirements, it's a win-win situation, as far as I can see.

DF

Geo, I understand from Rumint that such a policy was being considered...Oh, that three year B/A position you've got...might include some time in KAF.

DF

In some situations, it's good to have union support when you go to an employer to ask for time off.  I know that with my union, you cannot negotiate your own terms.  If one were to go to the employer for a leave of absence not spelled out in the collective agreement with or without pay, and plan on having a job without lost seniority when you return runs the risk of having fellow union members laying a grievience. 

Well job protection/security have always been an NDP thing.  The crazies on the left somehow think that if people are treated with respect and given security they're more productive and it is better for everyone.  What a crazy leftist idea  :warstory:  I mean it isn't as though other countries, which we border, have tougher job protection legislation for their reservists ...

(I used to be an NDPer - until they got on that whole Canadian soldiers are terrorist bunk)

US legislation isn't perfect and many US reservists are coming back to their employer to find that their job isn't.......
Some reservists & NG have been activated a couple of times & the employers contend that the multiple deployments weren't what they agreed to.....Legal stance - nope, but "sue me"..... NG & Res are now being "screened" (screwed) at the initial hire date

Spanky said:
In some situations, it's good to have union support when you go to an employer to ask for time off.  I know that with my union, you cannot negotiate your own terms.  If one were to go to the employer for a leave of absence not spelled out in the collective agreement with or without pay, and plan on having a job without lost seniority when you return runs the risk of having fellow union members laying a grievance. 

You should always go to the union first as they OWN the contract; as it is between them and the employer. 

Trust me the union I work is going to be around for awhile look up boilermakers.Don't forget I live in alberta.

I would urge everyone to keep track of any organization (labour or otherwise) who advertises that they support the troops, and then we should get together somehow and figure out how to make them put their money where their mouths are.

A couple of unions here in Edmonton as well as the Alberta Federation of Labour have done exactly that and I would like to see if they are willing to make the really easy first step of ensuring that reservists on their rolls don't loose any seniority if they go on course or on tour.  After that, veterans' affairs and CFLC should make themselves available to trade unions to help with transitions for regular and reserve guys so that people can take advantage of any benefits to cover off training or other things like that.

PM me if anyon'e interested, I sit on the board of directors of my regimental association and I think all of our associatons and honouraries could get this off the ground.

I have received a verbal approval from my employer to go on a tour with a "with out prejudiced Leave".  Um ya.. without prejudice.  Anyway, I think I'll believe it when I see it.  I didn't go through my Union, I went through human resources.  It does seem to be on the level.  They stated they have never had anyone ask to go on a tour before so I guess this sets a precedent.  I have not been told if I will be returning to my present job though.  Keep you posted.

Cheers,

V

Thanks for all of the input.

Reservists in Canada don't need job protection.

When we go on tour it's volentary, compared to the states.
Job protection is a double edged sword. It might save MY job for me but it might also mean 10 other reservists DON'T get hired because their employer doesn't wanna deal with it.

Flawed...

You are right, legislation forcing employers to let a reservist go is a double edged sword that will ensure reservists will need to conceal their weekend activities when they fill out job applications and start out in a new job.

The only way to get it "palletable" for employers is to make it worth his while.  Give him something and make it a win, win situation.
- Give you a leadership course while you are away (employer will benefit)
- Give him a tax credit to write off/deduct the salary of the person he hires to replace you while you are away (including cost to train this replacement)
- Give him a tax credit to allow your wife and kids to continue on the company health insurance plan.

Thanks Geo

Big problem with hiding ones reserve service is that in many cases, myself as an example, military experience is basically ALL i (a reservist) have to bring to the table.  If I couldn't count on that then I'd have a pretty spartan resume from the last 10 years.

Unless the reservist is in a career type job I can't see the employer really caring about a leadership course. I agree it IS a good thing to have but in the greater scheme of things it probably doesn't make much of a big deal.
I don't understand how tax breaks work BUT i do know having them is better than not having them :)  More money in your pocket is always better.
I think a big incentive would be playing on the public support for the Canadian Forces. It's crazy how much support we have. I can't go anywhere without seeing a flag now, seeing support the troops pins and stickers or having someone recognize me from the local news paper and coming up to me shaking me my hand and thanking me.  Companies could get a LOT of good publicity if their seen "supporting the troops".  Getting recognized is good for business (and promotions).  I'm sure with a little work between regiments, businesses/companies and the local media, everyone could benefit.

companies love to get free publicity (as long as it is positive) but no company likes to finance same said publicity.

Business/companies (same thing BTW) and Reg'ts.... unfortunately, there are so few senior leaders in industry who have any kind of military training / background that they don't know enough about it to form any kind of opinion.

Reservists don't need job protection.  What's the point in being in the reserves if you can't be deployed or take courses?  I would hope that reservists shouldn't have to need job protection.  Sort of like how Canada doesn't need the draft or to call up reservists unless there's a declaration of war.  Anyway, I understand your point but "I didn't get dressed up for nothing".

Cheers

V

V said:

Reservists don't need job protection.  What's the point in being in the reserves if you can't be deployed or take courses?  I would hope that reservists shouldn't have to need job protection.  Sort of like how Canada doesn't need the draft or to call up reservists unless there's a declaration of war.  Anyway, I understand your point but "I didn't get dressed up for nothing".

Cheers

V

Because they have families too. Are you insinuating that Reservists who signed the line "get dressed up for nothing" if they believe they should have some sense of job security?

I'd think not. I think they'd like to be assured that when they come back from that deployment or course their job will still be waiting for them so that they can continue to feed their familes.

Sure, it would be nice if they didn't need job security...ie every company employing them in Canada actually supported soldiers who served their country and held their place for them, but the mere fact that this discussion is occuring is evidence that that is not the case. Welcome to the real world.

What are you taking about?  Read the posts...

There are some interesting comments on the subject of job protection, and general reserve policy issues from the Senate Committee on Defence in their latest report to parliment

http://www.parl.gc.ca/39/1/parlbus/commbus/senate/com-e/defe-e/rep-e/RepOct06-e.pdf

good read

V said:

Cheers

V

V said:
  What are you taking about?  Read the posts...

V,

You're either being a very sarcastic troll, which would make me unhappy......to your detriment, or you truly don't understand the situation. Which is it? If the former, I'll take it from here. If it's the later, please explain your thoughts why Reservists don't require job legislation. And please, try be a little clearer in the process and your response.

Back