• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists in AFG (merged)

OK, point taken; Howie Marsh is talking through his hat; I, in turn, should be more careful about agreeing with black hats. ;)   But: I still agree with Marsh that "There's a political dimension to that decision certainly, but there's also a military dimension ...â Å“ It may well be that he is wrong when he says, â Å“... it can distance you from the locals, which cuts you off from the intelligence and all the relationships you are trying to develop with them."

I remain convinced that senior army officers, with recent operational experience, endorsed, even if they might not have originated the idea of remaining aloof, shall we say, from our American friends.   Some of the senior army officers could, with relative ease, have forced a decision to collocate with the Americans if they felt, and were prepared to state, in the relative privacy (no press) of the 13th floor Ops centre briefing room, that troop safety argued for such collocation.

Edward Campbell said:
I remain convinced that senior army officers, with recent operational experience, endorsed, even if they might not have originated the idea of remaining aloof, shall we say, from our American friends.   Some of the senior army officers could, with relative ease, have forced a decision to collocate with the Americans if they felt, and were prepared to state, in the relative privacy (no press) of the 13th floor Ops centre briefing room, that troop safety argued for such collocation.

Yes, but it is just as likely such recommendations would have been dismissed by those who have more political aspirations...

I was also routinely mistaken for an American or Brit when talking to locals downtown.  I think that we Canadians sometimes overestimate the world's knowledge of us! I'd smile and point to the little Canadian Flag under the shoulder pad, but most still did not know what that meant.  Still, a couple of older Afghans did know about Canada through relatives that had come here during the war.  I imagine that the locals know us a little more know after a couple of years but I could be wrong.

The bottom line is that the bad guys will target any Westerners.

2B

p.s. I thought that ISAF and KMNB did a pretty good job, but perhaps I was wearing rose coloured goggles.

2Bravo said:
I
p.s. I thought that ISAF and KMNB did a pretty good job, but perhaps I was wearing rose coloured goggles.

If you were there on ISAF V under Gen Hillier, you efforts are well remembered. As I pointed out in one of my earlier posts, the US forces had high respect for Gen Hillier and his Canadians on ISAF V, and realized that under his leadership (with a healthy salting of Canadian commanders and staff throughout the ISAF structure incl KMNB), ISAF V was at least capable. My disgust, along with that of others like Teddy Ruxpin who served there at the same time I did, was directed at ISAF VI which was a useless shambles "led" (if you can use that term) by EuroCorps.

Cheers.

I was on Roto 0, which I think was called ISAF IV.  We were working for a Canadian KMNB HQ and MGen Leslie was the DCom at ISAF HQ so we were well looked after.  As a Brigade asset we worked with all contingents but the good news was that there was always a senior Canadian officer somewhere above us in the tactical picture.  In addition, ISTAR Coy was based on Recce Sqn RCD and we were working for our habitual Bde HQ. 

I came back with a heightened sense of just how capable our Army is in terms of people, equipment and training.  We could probably streamline our command and service support structure somewhat (along the BRITFOR lines) and there are always things to improve but otherwise I think that we have a lot to be proud of.

2B

2Bravo said:
I came back with a heightened sense of just how capable our Army is in terms of people, equipment and training.   We could probably streamline our command and service support structure somewhat (along the BRITFOR lines) and there are always things to improve but otherwise I think that we have a lot to be proud of.

2B
So did I, and that is more or less the feeling I have come with from every mission I've been on. We have problems: that's for sure-and we need to face that fact and keep working on fixing them. But, my rough guess is that all things considered (not just how much high tech kit, or how many people, but all things...) we are the equal of almost anybody and better than most. The US certainly holds sway over us in a number of areas, but we can fit in and work very well with them too.

Cheers

Over the past year I've read alot of press about the Regular Force units who are ROTO into Afghanistan and almost nothing is being said about the contributions being made by our reserve and militia units.  :salute: Its seems the only time we hear about a reservist is when he is killed or wounded. They are making an important and honourable effort to the war - why are we not more vocal about their involvement?

Which militia units have sent agumentees ? and how many?

These are the ones I knows of...

Lake Superior Scottish, Royal Westminster Regt, Essex-Kent Scottish and Loyal Edmonton Regt.  who else?

Well.....I can say that if you had been reading a lot of the posts on the site since you joined, you would have seen that many Reservists are going on Tour.  Many have posted that they were doing training to go to, or had returned from Afghanistan.  You would have read the excellent post from RHFC_piper that we have posted on the Army.ca Home Page as well as in the Home Front "Dealing with being home from Kandahar".  You seem to have missed the Forest for all the Trees. 

This is a good spot for many others to post their Regiments and Units and what they are doing in this war on terror.

a buddy of mine from the 6th Field Engineering Sqn out here in BC came back not too long ago.

I knew a guy from the British Columbia Regiment who was over there in one of the earlier ROTOs...doing things....

There are also members of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment over there right now, and many more looking to go on future task forces by the sounds of it.  Regular emails suggest they're busy.

Quite a few from many Reserve units are over there really. It is several hundred on each TF, there are about 6 people from my unit, the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, that are either already over there doing thier part... One of them came back on holidays last week and gave us a presentation on his experience thus far. He was involved with Op Medusa etc etc.... Quite the eye opener to say the least.

Goodluck to all those who are 'in theatre' right now...

Non Nobis Sed Patriae!

I've spent quite some time this morning reading various posts and I have found quite a bit regarding this subject.
The front page actually has one story that should be read. It moved me a bit when I read it yesterday.

The are other elements there too...I know NavRes has sent people over in the past and at least 1 NavRes is currently with the PRT. I think he is from HMCS Chippewa? (Might be wrong about that.)

AFAIK....with 1-07.....there will be infanteers from each of the units within 36 & 37 Bde, to augment 2RCR, including at least 20 from the local unit (1NSH) Are there any from the other units going as well?

Back