• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reg.Unit creating a Class B (Not mata/pata related) how to go about it?possible?

justmyalias

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings,

Long-time lurker., first time poster. :)

I'm a reservist who's been with a Reg.Unit for several years now (<5).  My Superior (Capt.) is very fond of me from what I can tell anyway  ;D.  I've been jumping from one backfill Class B to another all this while but with a family it is really becoming an administrative nightmare vis-a-vis Benefits & if the particular backfill is </>180days.  My superior knows this and suggests Regs..but that is not an option right now, so being a Reservist SEEMS the next best (and easiest) solution as a source of income.  I'm quite skilled in my duties here..and coincidentally the posn is the same in this new Class B I've located.  Though he wouldn't want to loose me, it just makes plenty sense to go with that 3yr Posn rather muck around here, on perhaps four or more other backfills, all the while getting screwed out of benefits till someone realizes I'm actually entitled to them after all  ::).

Now my question is...

What/Who/How to speak to or direct a memo to...requesting a comparable in length class B creation to keep me at the unit instead of leaving?

I've spoken informally with two mbrs (Old timer Sgt & one who was an Admin O) who've relayed that only Reserve Units can create such long-term ClassB's-but in the past could create an annotated C contract...but no longer.  RegUnits currently are restricted to only matching backfill opportunities.  Though, I do see though infrequently, a Reg Unit putting out a Class B NOT associated to any backfill...but moreso just like what I'm hoping for.  A posn that needs stability and can't handle the constant cycling dynamics of Postings and Rotos.

Your help and advice is MOST appreciated.

*how do you indent?  or you can't with this forum?

Good luck.  I don't think you will have much success in having a Class B position created to keep you around just because they like you.  I've been there...being a Class B junkie, supporting a family that is.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, and do that CT.  I didn't want to leave my Class B position either, but if I kept it, it would have been difficult to get promoted higher (I was already one rank higher than I should have been for that job) and keep my job.  And of course, the benefits for the family were an issue too.

Anyhow, I would think long and hard, look at your options, decide what is best for your family.  A CT just might be the best option.

Good luck

In order to have a Class B position created for 90 days or more a Regular Force unit must demonstrate a need and have the funding for the position.

Most Reserve positions in Regular Force units are temporary. There are two types of Temporary Reserve positions:

a. Augmentation (up to 3 years)
b. Backfill (up to 2 years)

In any case, have your supervisor read VCDS Guidance Creation of Reservist Positions (1920-1 DFPPC 9 dated 21 Jun 06), A-PM-245 Chapter 19, Personnel Policy - Employment of Reservists within LFC (5323-0 DLPM 3-2-2 dated 30 Mar 06) and CMP Instruction 20-04 for further guidance.

Remember that any Class B over 90 days must be advertised (sometimes nationally) and filled through a competetive hiring process.  You will have to compete against any and all other applicants.

Good Bless,

Those're the startings of the crumb trail I was hoping to glean from this site.  Now to build my case :).

ack. all points as well.

Rather than start a whole new topic, since my question is along similar lines, I figured I'd post here.

I am just looking for benefit information about someone that's on Class B for 89 days and away from family.  Is this person entitled to TD, IR or separation expenses?  I've searched around and looked around in the various orders and haven't found anything.

The reason I'm asking is I'm leaving the reg forces, since my contract is done and I'm after similar civvy employment, however I'm staying with the reserves and the CO wants to keep me here for the summer.  Being the long weekend, none of our admin people were around and the person in charge of that is on holidays all of next week.

Any help/direction is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Well Ill see if anyone replys to this as , it tells me to start a new topic because its over 100 days old. Either way. My questions is that, I am planning on quiting my civy job and doing a class B position.  As a class B what would the pay be. I was told that its 80% of reg force pay. But the WO I was talking too said he wasn't too sure on that number. What is it?

Thanks!

Class B pay = Class A pay (over 6 hrs) same as when you have been on course.

So what your saying. Pay is the Same so Private IPC3 . $104. Working class B every day is the Same as Res P Pay?

Derek said:
So what your saying. Pay is the Same so Private IPC3 . $104. Working class B every day is the Same as Res P Pay?

Yes Class A, Class B = same pay.

Derek said:
Thank you understood!

One point to add is that on class B you'll accumulate two days of annual leave per month, and of course you're essentially on salary, so weekends and annual leave will still be paid.

Actually, as mentioned earlier in this thread it's exactly the same as when you're on any full time course.

Shaun said:
I am just looking for benefit information about someone that's on Class B for 89 days and away from family.  Is this person entitled to TD, IR or separation expenses?  I've searched around and looked around in the various orders and haven't found anything.
Anything below 180 days you are usually entitled to TD, but usually is not a guarantee so ask your Chief Clerk.  You may also be entitle to separation allowance, but as a reservist this is usually only because you've been sent somewhere for a course etc.  IR is something that was created as a cost benefit for the CF so that instead of paying for a $30,000 move and forcing a spouse to uproot from his/her civillian job, the CF member was placed onto IR for the posting period.  Usually it's for a short time, but I know of certain people that have gotten it going on 5+ years.  So with a reservist volunteering for the job, the view is that there is no entitlement for IR since the posting is not being forced onto you.  Consult your local Chief Clerk though as the reserve pay and entitlement system makes the Reg Force one look like a cake walk to understand as there are a lot of caveats.  Something else to note the reason why you would probably get TD for a contract that is less than 180 days is because you are not entitled to any medical/dental benefits etc.  These only become available to you once you hit that 180+ mark on your contract, however since you start recieving benefits at that point you lose the TD.

Also the reserve pay as of this moment is 85% of Reg Force pay.  There is an expectation soon that for Class A/B it's going to increase to 93% of Reg Force pay but I haven't heard a date yet, maybe someone else is better informed.  As was already explained as well, if you get $120/day now on Class A, you'll get that on Class B 7 days a week instead of simply when you sign a pay sheet.

93% is not happening.  Period.  It's a mess rumour that's been spinning out of control for several years.  There is no ongoing review of Reserve Pay; someone somewhere pulled a number out of their nether regions and this rumour began.

IR does happen for Reservists when requested and substantiated, particularly when it is a less expensive option.  Often other benefits are ignored, though; SCA is one example.

Gunner said:
Isn't that how the CF came up with 85%?   ;)
+1 to that
I find it great how I can do the same job as my Reg Force counterpart, but get 15% less pay.  Especially when I do more work since I'm still very active with my unit.  I call shenanigans.

Canadian.Trucker said:
I find it great how I can do the same job as my Reg Force counterpart, but get 15% less pay.  Especially when I do more work since I'm still very active with my unit.  I call shenanigans.

Do you show up to work every year wondering what base you will be posted to this APS ?

Are you required to show up for work 24/7/365 wether you like it or not ?

Do you have the same training ? Yes

Do you do the exact same job ? No

Canadian.Trucker said:
CDN Aviator said:
Do you show up to work every year wondering what base you will be posted to this APS ?

Are you required to show up for work 24/7/365 wether you like it or not ?

Not to mention, you can quit anytime you want.

I will not pretend that I am in the exact same position as one of my Reg Force peers.  However, the exact same expectations are put upon me in the job I do.  There is not a lower standard for my conduct and performance.  And yes, I am required to show up for work 24/7/365 whether I like it or not while I'm on contract.  Quitting anytime I want is not the attitude that I bring to the table.  But lets not turn this into a "why reserve pay should be equalized" discussion.

Canadian.Trucker said:
And yes, I am required to show up for work 24/7/365 whether I like it or not while I'm on contract. 

ONLY if you are on contract and, correct me if i am wrong, on Class C you make the same pay as a RegF member. If you are on Class A and decide you would rather go skiing today then go do drill at you unit, you dont have to show up.

Quitting anytime I want is not the attitude that I bring to the table. 

I'm glad thats the case. But the fact remains that you can quit anytime you want while a RegF member cannot.

I am on contract, so I do have an obligation.  Yes, Class C is 100% Reg Force pay.  Class B is still 85%.
CDN Aviator said:
I'm glad thats the case. But the fact remains that you can quit anytime you want while a RegF member cannot.
So because I can hand in a 30 day notice and back out of my job, I should be paid less?

Back