• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about the "One free flight"

Bzzliteyr said:
Ah, but that's not how it's done.  They don't give you the full amount and say "go".  You can ask to find out what the maximum entitlement is but they will only pay you what you can prove you paid for.

I am pretty sure that even if I buy a $800 ticket but am entitled to a $1000 one the military will only reimburse the $800.  They don't give you free money.

It may not be the way it's supposed to be, but I've seen it happen.

Bzzliteyr said:
To be honest I think I have as well.. but that was back in the day me thinks..no?

Probably.  I just claimed LTA this year for the first time in 15 years.  But I'd be willing to bet it's still done.

I'd be willing to bet it isn't.. they have certainly tightened the belts and are very picky.  I am still sitting on my 168km claim for two veterans week visits in one day as they will probably wonder why I didn't take military transport. I gassed up my car afterwards and it was $14 so I'll probably just claim that.

Pat in Halifax said:
As long as the section of your leave pass is stamped at your NOK location, this shouldn't raise an issue. I was a late bloomer only marrying 4 years ago and visited my mom (at least) once a year claiming LTA (once/yr) until her passing 2 years ago. I visited family/friends around southern Ontario but as long as I had my CF 100 stamped by Burlington Police, I was never questioned and never felt I was abusing this benefit...someone correct me if I am wrong.

My husband's NOK location is Vancouver where I live. He'll be in Halifax and all of our family is in Ontario. If we spend the holidays in Ontario, could he use his LTA to fly just from Halifax to Ontario? He wouldn't be able to get his leave pass stamped in Vancouver, obviously . . .

harriet said:
My husband's NOK location is Vancouver where I live. He'll be in Halifax and all of our family is in Ontario. If we spend the holidays in Ontario, could he use his LTA to fly just from Halifax to Ontario? He wouldn't be able to get his leave pass stamped in Vancouver, obviously . . .

Is the family in Ontario listed as his NOK?  If not then the CF will not pay for the travel to Ontario,  like stated above it is only for travel to the NOK.

The stamp/signature from the VPD(or whoever in Vancouver) is the proof that you went to the location of the NOK,  without it you will not get your money.  If the leave pass says you are going to Vancouver,  and you get an advance payment; but you go to Ontario your husband will need to pay that money back.

I'd pay out of pocket for this visit and save the Vancouver trip.  He has until the 1 Apr for his one time a year.  However if he is in Halifax on course I think there are provision for a trip home (YVR) that doesn't eat the LTA anyhow.

I think you might be referring to the weekend travel assistance, ref CBI 209.31:

209.31 - REIMBURSEMENT FOR WEEKEND TRAVEL WHILE ON TEMPORARY DUTY

209.31(1) (Entitlement) Subject to paragraph (3), if authorized by their commanding officer to travel on a weekend, an officer or non-commissioned member who is on temporary duty in Canada away from their base or other unit or element in Canada is entitled to be reimbursed for travelling expenses to and from their normal place of duty or the place where their dependants are residing, except if any of the following circumstances exist:

a.the member is on temporary duty for the purpose of attending a course of training or instruction; or

b.after completion of the travel, there are fewer than three days of actual duty remaining at the temporary duty location.

209.31(2) (Reimbursement when performing tasks outside of normal duties) If authorized by their commanding officer to travel on a weekend, an officer or non-commissioned member who is on temporary duty in Canada away from their base or other unit or element in Canada for the purpose of performing tasks that are outside of their normal duties is entitled to be reimbursed once during each 30-day period of absence for travelling expenses to and from their normal place of duty or the place where their dependants are residing, if the following circumstances exist:

a.before beginning the travel, the member has served at least eight days of actual duty at the temporary duty location;

b.after completion of the travel, there are at least eight days of actual duty remaining at the temporary duty location; and

c.the member is a member of

i.the Regular Force,

ii.the Reserve Force on Class "C" Reserve Service, or

iii.the Reserve Force on Class "B" Reserve Service who, while on callout, is required to remain on callout and to perform tasks that are outside of their normal duties.

209.31(3) (Rate of reimbursement)The officer or non-commissioned member shall be reimbursed the expenses set out in the Canadian Forces Temporary Duty Travel Instruction, except that a member who is performing only tasks that are part of their normal duties shall not be reimbursed an amount that exceeds the cost of maintaining the member at the temporary duty location over the weekend.

And regarding this:

Bzzliteyr said:
Remembering that the trip is your home to the NOK home minus 800km at X rate per km.

Pat in Halifax said:
You are paid by mileage as eluded to in the previous post..

See CBI 209.50 (7) (emphasis mine):

(Amount – Travel Within Canada and the United States) Subject to paragraph (8 ), if all travel occurs within Canada and the United States of America ("CANUS"), the amount of LTA is the lesser of:

a. the actual cost of return travel by commercial carrier,

b. the amount determined by the formula, .....blah, blah, blah..... (see the link but it's the mileage - 800 kms).

-Skeletor- said:
Is the family in Ontario listed as his NOK?  If not then the CF will not pay for the travel to Ontario,  like stated above it is only for travel to the NOK.

I looked at the link PMedMoe provided (thank you PmedMoe): CBI 209.50

209.50(6) (Authorized Destinations) LTA is authorized for travel:

a. in respect of a member with a dependant,
        i. by the member to their principal residence, to a spouse’s or common-law partner’s place of duty, or to a third location where a dependant is; or
        ii. by a dependant to the member’s place of duty or to a third location where the member is; and

Emphasis is mine. The section doesn't elaborate on what an acceptable "third location" might be, but it seems it is possible to use LTA to travel to somewhere other than the NOK's residence. (Right?)

Does anyone have any experience using LTA to travel to a third location?

(In our specific case, I will be in Ontario, so having my husband travel from Halifax to Ontario will actually be cheaper for the CF than going all the way to our principal residence in Vancouver.)

If you are living in Ontario,  does your husband's PEN form reflect that his spouse/NOK is living in Ontario and not BC?

The only times I know CF members have been able to go to a third location was for HLTA(leave during tour.  Perhaps it has been done before for the regular LTA,  but I do not know of anyone who has used it that way.  I'm sure one of the Admin Savvy types on the site will be able to give you an accurate answer.

Also,  has your spouse been able to speak with the clerks at his school/unit? 

harriet, that's one of the things I love about Army.ca.  I am always learning.

That definitely looks like what it says and in my opinion it actually makes sense and will save the military money VS sending him all the way back to BC.  Although the "Authorized destinations" part might be the kicker.  As Skeletor said that usually applies to the special LTA we get when we are overseas.  The mil will fly the member's wife to XXXXX for a get together holiday and then the member to XXXXX to join her.

in my 20 years I have never done the "third location" unless it was through the technique I described earlier.

I've done a Third Location LTA, so I'll add my experience here.

In a nutshell, the Third Location LTA works by sending both the member and the NOK to somewhere, and travel costs for both are reimbursable up to the Max LTA Reimbursement as below. Bzz, you pretty much described it. As far as an Authorized Destination, I can imagine anywhere in Canada would be authorized, international locations might be a bit trickier. Ask a clerk on this one. 

The LTA reimbursement calculation remains the same, i.e. (Return Driving Distance - 800km) * Low Rate = Max LTA Reimbursement. This is the most you will be reimbursed whether it's just the member traveling, or both the member and the NOK.

When I was on a TD in Comox over a summer years ago, I did a third location LTA in Vancouver. Most of the LTA reimbursement went towards flying my mother from Southern Ontario, but there was enough left over to cover my Greyhound from Comox to Van. It is pretty handy if you can meet in the middle and have a place to stay.

Back