• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

I'm guessing that it may have been around the time of the 1885 north west rebellion, and may have involved a unit on that expedition. RCR maybe or the RCMP?

Sapper Earl: If the EOD business didn't get started until WWII, how were the bombs, naval shells and naval mines that landed in UK during WWI dealt with? What about during previous wars in which explosive siege rounds were dropped on cities, such as the Siege of Paris during the Franco-Prussian War, or the siege of Richmond in the US Civil War? How would these UXOs have been disposed of, and by whom? Obviously somebody must have done it, because life generally returned to normal in these cities after the conflicts.

Given the very unreliable nature of early fusing systems, there must have been hundreds if not thousands of these things lying about after any serious pre-WWII conflict involving HE ammo. What happened? Cheers.

PBI,we had a dsicussion on that topic and no one had a clear answer.
One of my thoughts was they just picked it up as they found it and git rid of it.
Some one else mentioned the Penal battalions that many an Army had in the past and the task might have been given to them.

As for Seamines that's a Naval responsibility and I know next to nothing about them only that they you used to shoot at them to set them off when found.

I've tried searching the net for an answer but have drawn a blank.
I'll try some more and see what I get.

Spr.Earl said:
Which Unit put forth the first suggestion's to form a aviation section in Canada?

It was 6Fd Co.

CANADA'S FIRST MILITARY FLIGHT
The idea of flight to support military operations is in no stretch of the imagination a 20th century concept.  The use of balloons for observation and artillery fire control was used by Napoleon and during the U.S. Civil War.  By the late 1800's the Royal Engineers had established balloon sections and a Air Battalion.  It was these Engineer sponsored units that carried out the experimentation that brought Britain to the fore of Military aviation.  Indeed the Royal Air Force dates it's history back to these R.E. Balloon Sections.
Unfortunately, the suggestions put forth by the 6th Field Company R.C.E. in 1913 to form an aviation section were not implemented in Canada, but the young Corp of R.C.E. did have the privilege to be connected with Canada's first Military flight.  In July 1909 the Corp was tasked to construct a hanger and temporary airstrip in Petawawa, Ontario.  Also on site were two associates of Dr. Alexander Graham Bell and Ex-Sappers of the 2nd Field Company C.E.  On the 23 July 1909, Mr. J.A.D. McCurdy and F.W. Baldwin, with the assistance of Capt. Tyrrell R.E. and Lt. Perrin R.C.E., began to assemble two aircraft delivered by rail from Braddock N.S.

On the 2 Aug 1909, Baldwin and McCurdy made four successful take-offs and landings.  Unfortunately the "Silver Dart" was wrecked on the fourth landing.  With the aid of a Sapper ground crew the second aircraft "Beddeck 1" was assembled and flown before a considerable audience of military and civil officials.  Again misfortune plagued the demonstration and the "Beddeck 1" crashed on its second landing.  As a result of these demonstrations Maj. Maunsell, as Director of Engineer Services, was assigned to observe any new trials carried by McCurdy and Baldwin.  He spent several days at Beddeck N.S. in 1910 and was taken up on two "short flips".  As a result he was convinced that flying had a future in the military and suggested that an aviation section R.C.E. be formed to conduct trials on the handling of aircraft and balloons.

Even though the Militia Council approved his recommendations, the Minister of Militia and Defence vetoed the proposal.  Thus ending Canada's first attempt at forming a military aviation section.  The reasons for the veto are unknown.  Perhaps, with war clouds looming in Europe and the heavy commitments for Engineer services to the permanent Corp, military flight had a low priority.  But, as the bronze plaque at C.F.B. Petawawa states "The first Military demonstration of aircraft flight in Canada" was in fact a Sapper flight.

What city in Canada was the site of a 3 day riot that involved service personal and resulted in the "city of glass"?

Bonus Question-What 2 infantry regiments came from that city that were known as the "66th" and the"64th"and which regiment still exists today?What about the status of the other one?

Was it not Halifax? Sailors were responsible for that one if I recall. Damn sailors, bad sailors. Ex D and Che, you guys can stop smiling!!

Am I right?

I do believe it is Halifax as scott1nsh said. The regiments would be the Halifax Rifles and the Princess Louise Fusiliers. The PLF is still around.

Aye, memory jogged, didn't the Halifax Rifles become the group that watches over the Citadel? Or are they a straightforward Highland Unit?

Correct.It was mostly Navy(they started it!)but there was all elements involved when it was said and done
Good book to read:Open Gangway-Story of the Halifax Riots
Now,any takers on the bonus........

Ps Scott1nsh-when was the last time u were home?

May. And I just might go for X-Mas, if not it'll be May next year. I love that time of year, no humidity. Why do you ask?

My turn, do gun plumbers also get plumbers crack? ;D

Ghezz,you guys are sharp!Yes it is the PLF and the Halifax Rifles-the PLF continues to train to this day while the Rifles were reduced to NIL strenth in the 60's.They are perpetuated today by a regimential association and a cadet corp.....
Hero cookie Question-What role did the rifles assume during WW2?

Got me, Point Pleasant or McNab's duty?

I hav'nt been home in almost 3 years(Halifax)and am just wondering if anything has changed.
We dont get plumbers crack as long as we invest in a belt...

Back