• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Spr.Earl said:
During WWII there were only 3 Dry Docks able too take the Qn. Mary name them.
I'll eliminate one of them because the River was not deep enough for her and that was Gladstone Dock in Liverpool.U.K.
Where were the other two?

Esquimalt

What a great question. John Brown shipyard on the Clyde has to be one. Boston shipyard is probably another and I believe a shipyard in Belfast may be another.

Sapper Earl:- What's the answer to the Dry Dock question you posed on 3 September?  :salute:

Bill Smy said:
Sapper Earl:- What's the answer to the Dry Dock question you posed on 3 September?   :salute:
I have been away and had no net access.
O.K. here goes.
Art I forgot about the Belfast and Clyde Yards,the other two were Esquimalt and the Navy Yard in Singapore.
During the War a very strange object appeared in English bay (Vancouver) ity was the Mary waiting to go into Esquimalt Graveing Dock for refurbishing as a Troop ship.
The Admarlty sent her over for fear of her being bombed in the U.K. Yards while the refurbishing was going on.

When did the Bomb Disposal (E.O.D.) Trade start and by whom?

Who was the first to use explosives to further their cause in the Terrorist sense?

Perhaps some renegade group in one of the out provinces of Ancient China, soon after the Chinese invention of gunpowder.

In all seriousness, I think it will be really difficult to nail this to the board. Should be some interesting replies.

It's common knowledge that the first National Flag of Canada (commonly referred to as the Maple Leaf flag) to be flown atop the Peace Tower on 15 February 1965 has long been missing. On a number of occaisons over the last 39 years the issue has been raised by both Members of Parliament and the general public. But to no avail.

The question, though, is what happened to the last Canadian Red Ensign that was lowered that day? Is it missing too?

Spr.Earl said:
When did the Bomb Disposal (E.O.D.) Trade start and by whom?
The British were the first to start training Bomb Disposal Teams from members of the Royal Engineers in beginning of WWII (Battle of Britain).
Up until then no Military bothered about it until the Germans started Bombing the Industrial centers of Britain and suddenly realising what havoc U.X.B.'s can cause to all.

A good program to watch about it is " Danger U.X.B." it's fact mixed with the day to day going's on of a Bomb Disposal Section in London and the progression of the Trade.

With regard to the last Red Ensign to fly over the Peace Tower.

It is now in the Canadian Museum of Civilization, Item No D-1776, described as "This was the Canadian Red Ensign to be flown from the Peace Tower in Ottawa and was lowered on February 15, 1965 at 10:45 a.m. That day was the day was the day of the proclamation of the Canadian Flag. Flag made of silk. Label sewn on it reads 'SCYCO PRODUCT, MADE IN CANADA' Stamped on side is 'Canadian Ensign' D.P.W. 12 ft. Canadian coat of arms is sewn on separately."

On 16 December 1965, the Secretary of State transferred two "Red Ensign flags for safekeeping" to the National Museum. "The large one is the last Canadian flag to be flown from the Peace Tower and which was lowered on February 15, 1965. The smaller one was used for the ceremony."

I may be wrong but as far as I know the answer I have is correct.... What Canadian Regiment was the last to retire their union jack colour....?

Don't know how many regiments still carry the Union Flag as their Queen's Colour, but The Lincoln and Welland Regiment does.

Ah the thread that never dies.

Ok new question.

What where and when was the last significant ground action of the War of 1812?

Danjanou said:
What where and when was the last significant ground action of the War of 1812?

The Battle of New Orleans happened in January 1815, a few weeks after the Treaty of Ghent was signed which ended the war.

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h511.html

Nice try Clasper but no cigar. There was actually another engagment fought after that one involving about 300 US and 5000 British/Colonial troops.

The taking of Fort boyer was the last battle of teh war only about 25 british casualties but still a battle none the less. :salute:

http://members.tripod.com/~war1812/batboy.html

Back