• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pre-Para Physical Fitness Standards

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I just finished having a conversation with a friend, who happens to know of a particular incident where an individual was fortunate enough to find himself on the para course. he ended up copping out as far as physical standards, yet for some reason was still pushed through the course. He passed the entrance testing, but just couldnt keep the pace on course. I wont go into any more detail for obvious reasons, but this does bring me to a question.

Have the standards on the Para Course in this day and age been reduced, in parallel with the supposed BMQ/SQ declining standards? Or has the course become more leniant? I was always led to believe that, there wasnt much margin for slacking. if you didnt make the grade, you were gone.

Any who have taken the course, you're own experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Note: This incident occured within the last 2 years, and the source that informed me of it is fairly reliable

Theres only one way to see if the standards are falling. That's if the number of DZ casualties rise as a result of poor trg. Besides, if your "reliable" friend had looked around the student lounge @ CPC, he would have noticed a large # of "geritol" crses, back in the 50s, 60s and 70s in which 50+ (age) soldiers passed the course when it was still as hardcore as everyone likes to think.

In addition, th real parachute trg comes when you return to a para tasked unit, and have to do it on an Ex/Op.

Does anyone remember off the top of their head the pre-para physical fitness standard/test?
I was training before the "obligatory" knee surgery, and now my athletic therapist says I can start slowly getting back to where I was...
I don't have access to the DIN right now and couldn't find anything through search function on here.
Thanks a lot!
Shadow

Pre Para PT standard:

1 mile Run - in 7 min 30 sec or less

7 Chin ups - straight arm all the way down and all the way up to your chest on a flat board not a bar

31 Sit ups - arms beside head elbows touch your knees

Push ups are not a entrance requirement but you will do alot of them plus alot of the Fifth point of flight procedure. Basically leg raises without the raising part just keeping them up.

Greg

Excellent, thanks a lot.  I couldn't remember.  Seems the frontal lobotomy has worked incredibly well on me  ;)

The Pre-Para stands for the physical fitness standard you must attain prior to doing your Basic Para course.  There is a cadet pre-para course but I don't know anything about it.  I think it's 2 weeks and army cadets do it prior to the Basic Para which is 3-5 weeks I think depending on weather/equipment for the final jumping.

That's right shadow, the "Pre-Para" an Army cadet thing, it's two weeks at connaught spent doing LOTS of P.T., cultural tours, visiting various museums (particular attention paid to Airborne museums), and of course, a speech by a CF Recruiter.

DELTADOG13 said:
Pre Para PT standard:

1 mile Run - in 7 min 30 sec or less

7 Chin ups - straight arm all the way down and all the way up to your chest on a flat board not a bar

31 Sit ups - arms beside head elbows touch your knees

Im sorry what kind've chin up is that? Flat board?? To you mean its a ledge and not a bar?

BeadWindow said:
Im sorry what kind've chin up is that? Flat board?? To you mean its a ledge and not a bar?

I didn't even notice the last bit of the sentence. It is 7 chin-ups WITH a bar, underhanded, don't know where he got the "flat board" idea from. ::)

At CPC Trenton the chinups are done on a board that is 2" wide instead of a bar. (someone can correct if I'm wrong). That's what he was referring to with the "flat" board.

MikeM said:
At CPC Trenton the chinups are done on a board that is 2" wide instead of a bar. (someone can correct if I'm wrong). That's what he was referring to with the "flat" board.

Ok then thanks for clarifying that Mike.. well at least for the initial test to get onto the course, a bar is used.

The board is a 2X6

IT IS NOT DONE ON A BAR.

*Or it was a BOARD when I went thru CABC.

KevinB said:
The board is a 2X6

IT IS NOT DONE ON A BAR.

*Or it was a BOARD when I went thru CABC.
that being said, practice on a bar. They'll be easier when you get to Trenton and do them on a board, there.

Hmm. I typed "Para" in the search bar, and fifth topic was:

Pre-Para Physical Fitness Standards.....Now you try!

trucker00 said:
Does anyone know the min PT standard for a Basic Para Crse?

It's on page one of this very thread.

Back