• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Political Orientation

What's your political Orientation?

• Total voters

Gryphon

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just curious what the political orientation was of the members of this fine board.

Oh, and please, keep an open mind about things.. people are entitled to their own opinions..

No flame wars, plz!

Tying the notion of "political orientation" to the current political parties in Canada may not be warranted.

For example, I have certain political ideals which I feel are the best way to govern the public sphere.  However, my attitude and loyalty to a political party may change depending on that parties ability to deliver competant and effective government.  The Progressive Conservatives certainly wouldn't have got my vote in 1993, just as the Liberal party never had mine in 2000 or 2004.

I like to call it an educated vote.  During the election I listened to people explain why they were voting for their party (Lib, Conservative, NDP, Green).  The amount of people who voted due to the fact that "because that's who my parents voted for" or "I've always voted X", or "X is going to allow/forbid gay marriage" was kind of disheartening.  Political parties shouldn't be like sports teams, earning someone's permanent loyalty.

I vote based on a man's reputation. Take Brooke Taylor for example, anyone in NS will know him, he is not a lawyer, doctor or teacher, his wife isn't a nurse or any of the others. Brooke is a truck driver and volunteer firefighter. When the Liberal's were in power in NS (Brooke is Conservative) he took the Premier and the Minister of Transportation for a ride on one of the roads in his riding, he asked them if they'd like to travel that road for work or pleasure or just to get home. Within three months the road was paved. That's how he does things, he is straightforward and in your face. I like that. I am not saying he is an honest politician, but I do think he has a good heart. That's the sort of person I vote for.

In Alberta we have Ralph Klein. Love him or hate him you can't say he doesn't speak HIS mind as well. He may be tipsy when he does it but he speaks his mind nonetheless.

Just Thoughts

Cheers

I vote for the man or woman that shares similar views.  I am a conservative and will die that way. 8) The liberals will slip up soon i hope.

canuck101 said:
I vote for the man or woman that shares similar views.   I am a conservative and will die that way. 8) The liberals will slip up soon i hope.
This is where the current system fails. In the recent election I identified most with the conservative party (though certainly not on all fronts). Despite this, the local candidate that came closest to sharing my views was the liberal one, as the conservative candidate is completely... well, let's just say I'm not too fond of his attitude on some things. Now do I vote for the party or the person? Unfortunately they don't always go together.

voting is a exercises in futility till we change to a proportionate democracy.
and we never change the people in the background (diplomats bureaucrats )so things never really change at all

Back