• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot applicant has to wait 1 month just to TAKE a medical exam

I'd be surprised if 2007 isn't half accounted for by now also. Those who finished BOTC in Dec 04 are slated in starting in Jan 06 and there's around 50 of us in that group, and 34 presently in St Jean which should take care of 06 then there's also the RMC grads however many of them will be first up in 07.

Keep in mind this is a lot of speculation from an anxious pilot and depends on everything from the # of seats at Moose Jaw remaining consistent to a low washout rate at PFT. This stuff is a topic of conversation almost daily here.

I'd be surprised if 2007 isn't half accounted for by now also. Those who finished BOTC in Dec 04 are slated in starting in Jan 06 and there's around 50 of us in that group, and 34 presently in St Jean which should take care of 06 then there's also the RMC grads however many of them will be first up in 07.

Based on what was previously mentioned, this delay may also have something to do with the contract negotions in Portage.  Not sure if PFT is affected or not, but since Bombardier runs that too (and it's civvie aircraft) have a funny feeling it may be.

I was in the group of people who finished BTOC dec 17 and yup the only thing we know is that we will start to fly in 2006...will it be during the summer or like november-december 2006... we dont know... we have to be patient.
For me my process was long because I transferred from the reserve to regular forces. It took me a year and an half....
Hope you're patient and ready because the recruiting center told me to go for my BOTC course only 2 weeks before the course  ;)

TheCheez said:

Keep in mind this is a lot of speculation from an anxious pilot and depends on everything from the # of seats at Moose Jaw remaining consistent to a low washout rate at PFT. This stuff is a topic of conversation almost daily here.

Moose Jaw can put 144 (9 courses of 16) pilots through per year, or at least that's the way it was when I went through there.  I'd be surprised if you're waiting that long, I waited 20 months and that was after the CF hired 200+ pilots almost at the same time.

Those are the numbers, I'm not going to play the speculation game, believe me, enjoy your OJT and try not to get too stressed about things you can't control.

Haha not stressed. Winnipeg said that the number they're planning to send through this year is around 73. I'm getting dug in for a good long OJT :) The good part of it is that the longer I'm here the more things I learn to do and can help out more or do courses, base sports etc etc.

Just think people should be aware before they join it is a LONG road, at all stages, and you gotta learn to live with it.

So let's assume I do BOTC in fall 2005. You're saying it's likely that I will wait anywhere from 1-2 years after BOTC until I get sent to Moose Jaw? What happens during that wait period? I'm from Montreal so do I get stationed around here? What would I do?

I'm sorry for sounding impatient, it's just that the recruiter said the whole process, from BOTC to earning my wings, should take around 2 years. From all these posts, it looks more like 4-5 years  :eek:

Sent a PM. It's not that bad. Yes it's a longer road but it's worth it and you keep busy while you're on it.

Don't get discouraged.

So let's assume I do BOTC in fall 2005. You're saying it's likely that I will wait anywhere from 1-2 years after BOTC until I get sent to Moose Jaw? What happens during that wait period? I'm from Montreal so do I get stationed around here? What would I do?

There are loads of things you can do.  You'll probably have to do second language, unless you already have the required levels.  Of course, you can always ask to go to try and get exempt for the rest of your career.  There are also loads of staff-type courses.  Space Applications, Basic Electronic Warfare, AFOBC (Basic staff for junior AF officers), all your OPMEs (like university courses and a requirement to achieve certain levels).  Then there are the trade related courses like sea survival, basic and advanced SERE (evasion, survival and all that jazz).  Your OJT time is what you make of it.  Get all of these out of the way and it really will make your life easier later on when you get your wings.

I got my CFASC booked for March 14-18th.  Apparently, the ones prior are already booked up (so sayeth the wise recruiter).  Just an FYI

T

Looks like I might get to ASC in June â “ that would be great news for me!

Torlyn (or anyone else applicable), it would be great to hear about your experience at ASC once you get back, so I really hope you post again  ;D.

Dave

Bo said:
Ok, I know you've all heard the rants about recruiting before, but I just have to vent.

I took my CFAT on January 19th and was given a medical appointment for February 2nd. Waiting 2 weeks to do a medical seemed kind of annoying but I figured they're pretty busy.

On February 1st, I get a call saying my medical is cancelled because the doctor had a family emergency. Ok..... next medical on Febraury 15th!! Another 2 weeks! Today (15th), as I'm driving downtown, I get a call on my cell and it's someone from CF saying my medical is cancelled AGAIN!! I ask why and she says she doesn't know. I got rescheduled to Friday but boy was I pissed   :rage: :rage:

I gave in all my forms and references 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to do my medical and physical test. I would have thought since the CF is so desperate for pilots that we would at least be placed on some kind of fast-track to get all these tests done quickly. Man, something tells me I'm gonna be waiting a year until I even get sworn in   :crybaby:

Don't mean to burst your bubble but the military doesn't revolve around you alone. A month to wait for an appt is pretty short actually. Once you get in, you could have to wait 6 months.

Well everything went by pretty fast after that medical. The following week, I had my physical test, eye exam, and blood/cardiology exam  ;D.

Now my only problem is that I have to get a civilian medical doctor to clear me since I had knee surgery (torn acl from soccer) 4 years ago. This might seem pretty simple, but the form asks questions like "Is he mentally and physically capable to join the CF"???? WTF? Didn't I just get tested for that? I saw 2 different doctors both of whom said that there is no way they would fill out this form without a full medical exam. They charge a fee for filling out the form as well. It comes to $135 total!!! And the CF doesn't cover it! Plus I have to go get another blood test.

Man, and this is only the beginning....

I know I keep on whining like a little bitch but come on, gimme a break

Bo, I don't want you to take this the wrong way but... quit your whining. There are others among us here who have waited much longer than you and they don't seem to be as vocal as you. Instead of bitching here, be proactive and work on your fitness or whatever. The recruiting process is long for everyone, not just you. Don't think that just because you're a pilot applicant that everything is about you. The military has its priorities, and from what i've seen, works according to these priorities. A month isn't long at all. Read some other stuff in the recruiting forum and you'll find people who have been waiting a year+. Count yourself lucky if you get in in less than 6 months. Be patient and be ready to wait.

Bo said:
I saw 2 different doctors both of whom said that there is no way they would fill out this form without a full medical exam. They charge a fee for filling out the form as well. It comes to $135 total!!! And the CF doesn't cover it!

First of all keep in mind that applying to the CF is applying for a job. Now whenever someone applies for a job sometimes there are costs involved with that. Whether it be doctors signing forms or having to take courses to meet the minimum qualifications, it's all at your own expense. I've had to fork out well over $250 dollars to apply to courses just to get a single box checked and doctors signature. It's not the happiest thing that I've ever had to do, but that's life. Just like it's a fact of life that I had to spend over a thousand dollars for a six day course so i could apply to firefighting school. Come on, seriously, suck it up. If you want something bad enough you're going to do whatever it takes. Plain and simple.

Back