• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot applicant has to wait 1 month just to TAKE a medical exam

Bo

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, I know you've all heard the rants about recruiting before, but I just have to vent.

I took my CFAT on January 19th and was given a medical appointment for February 2nd. Waiting 2 weeks to do a medical seemed kind of annoying but I figured they're pretty busy.

On February 1st, I get a call saying my medical is cancelled because the doctor had a family emergency. Ok..... next medical on Febraury 15th!! Another 2 weeks! Today (15th), as I'm driving downtown, I get a call on my cell and it's someone from CF saying my medical is cancelled AGAIN!! I ask why and she says she doesn't know. I got rescheduled to Friday but boy was I pissed  :rage: :rage:

I gave in all my forms and references 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to do my medical and physical test. I would have thought since the CF is so desperate for pilots that we would at least be placed on some kind of fast-track to get all these tests done quickly. Man, something tells me I'm gonna be waiting a year until I even get sworn in  :crybaby:

Bo said:
something tells me I'm gonna be waiting a year until I even get sworn in   :crybaby:

Dont count your chickens before they hatch, you do not know if they will accept you(I dont know if you are going for ROTP or DEO). I think the worst attitude you could take towards this situation is a cocky one.

Only waiting a month for a medical after filling in your forms?

hmmm..not too bad
Are you annoyed more about the cancellations or the time its taking overall?

Bo said:
I would have thought since the CF is so desperate for pilots that we would at least be placed on some kind of fast-track to get all these tests done quickly.

Hey, the CF are desperate in recruiting, period. And recruiting is for all MOCs, regardless of the trade, it'll take the same amount of time since it's the same organisation running it all.

But, don't be so desperate. I'll tell about my experience. I had to, as well, wait a month from the call to the interview. That just to hear that I'd have to go through a pre-security clearance, which take at least 6 months and up to 2 years and that I feared most. Count yourself lucky no to have to go through that.

Just words of hope is intended here.

From the day I dropped off my application to the day I stepped off the plane in Montreal for BOTC was 11 months, 1 week.

Hurry up and wait.

Right and, don't think you're going to get ANY special treatment because they're 'desperate' for pilots. Things get done when they get done.

Che said:
Only waiting a month for a medical after filling in your forms?

hmmm..not too bad
Are you annoyed more about the cancellations or the time its taking overall?

More annoyed with the cancellations than anything else. I'm going in as a DEO. I know I shouldn't complain considering most guys are waiting about 10 months just to get in. It just seems so long. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Bo said:
More annoyed with the cancellations than anything else. I'm going in as a DEO. I know I shouldn't complain considering most guys are waiting about 10 months just to get in. It just seems so long. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Hurry up and wait!

I am DEO, I handed in my paperwork the end of July and just recieved my offer...be going to BOTC Sept 12th

Member of Parliament or Military Ombudsman - get hold of one of them and RANT AWAY - PLEASE!

I applied for DEO Pilot back in July â “ bugged the recruitment office on a regular basis and still didn't get my medical until January (so 1 month sounds good to me!). Now I've found out that I have slightly high cholesterol which will take a few months to put right. If they hadn't taken so darn long with the blood test I could have fixed it up in time for the â Å“Air Crew Selectionâ ?, but now I will have to wait until the Fall. It is very surprising that the military doesn't fast track people for trades etc. that they say are really required. I believe they must loose a lot of good people this way. For instance, my second choice was get in as a CELE officer (largely computer related stuff), now I have a decent job as a software developer. If I don't get in as a pilot then I doubt I'll bother with CELE just because I've already started to establish a good career in the civilian world.

Dave    PS.  DrSize, how on earth did you get an offer so fast? Air Crew Selection doesn't even start until March, and I believe the board doesn't sit until May. Did they put you through in the Fall and if so you have to wait until this Fall for basic??

Despite what you guys may want to believe, the pilot trade is no longer the worst off in terms of shortage. We're actually recovering nicely towards the preferred manning level (PML). Also, there may be bigger things at work, the contract for PFT in Portage expires this summer and a new contract has yet to be put in place, what's the point in recruiting pilots just to have them sit around and pay them $40,000 while we decide what bid we're going to accept?

If you think the waiting is frustrating, you've got a long and stressful road ahead of you, all along the way people fail out, even a week before getting their wings. So don't count your chickens before they hatch, you may end up empty handed. Even your attitude can sink you.

The RCMP are desperate for new recruits as well but that doesn't mean they will hand over a uniform, badge and gun to the first people in line.  It is a slow and through process to ensure the best candidates get the job.  Especially when the army is giving you their most expansive toys (the planes) they want to make sure the most qualified and intelligent people are flying them.

Be patient...no matter how long you are waiting there is always someone else who is waiting much longer for their shot.

Dave999 said:
Dave    PS.  DrSize, how on earth did you get an offer so fast? Air Crew Selection doesn't even start until March, and I believe the board doesn't sit until May. Did they put you through in the Fall and if so you have to wait until this Fall for basic??

The ASC course schedule is much more frequent then that...  They seem to be running them once a week, every week, all year round.  (I'm waiting for my medical to get back to Calgary from Borden so I can go do my CFASC in Trenton...  Ah, hurry up and wait!)

T

If you think waiting a month for a medical is bad, talk to a pilot graduating RMC this year.  They've just been told that they'll have to wait till 2007 before they go to Moose Jaw.

>The ASC course schedule is much more frequent then that...  They seem to be running them once a week, every >week, all year round.  (I'm waiting for my medical to get back to Calgary from Borden so I can go do my CFASC in >Trenton...  Ah, hurry up and wait!)

Here's what I've been told (everything!):

According to my recruitment officer they are sending some applicants to ASC for the week of Feb. 28 and if accepted they will be considered on leave until they start basic in the Fall. Accepted people will be considered to have joined during the current fiscal year. Then there are applicants being sent to ASC throughout three weeks of March and any accepted will be considered to have joined during the 2005 fiscal year. I've also been told that there is a board that sits in May that will make the final decisions as to who gets offered a spot. I have been told that there won't be another opportunity to attend ASC until the Fall.

Now, I'm not sure that all adds up correctly, and I certainly recognize that I often seem to get a slightly different spin each time I visit the recruitment office. For instance the doctor I spoke with at the recruitment centre said she thought there would be an ASC in May or June, but the Capt. in charge of my file didn't know anything about it and said that was not the case.

Anyway, I just wanted to put everything that I have heard about this on the forum. I am certainly not trying to be rude in any way and in fact I am hoping that you are right in saying that the ASC course schedule is frequent. Has anyone provided you with any dates exact or rough? I'm curious to find out any information I can get my hands on :).

Did you want the course serials as well?  ;)

CFASC Course Schedule 2005

Feb 21 - 25
Meb 28 Mar 4
Mar 7 mar 11
mar 14 mar 18
apr 4 - 8
apr 11-15
apr 18-22
apr 25-29

et cetera...  :D  Hope that helps.

T

Gee thanks! That's really good information! Much appreciated! Maybe I really won't have to wait for Fall!  :)

>If you think waiting a month for a medical is bad, talk to a pilot graduating RMC this year.  They've just been told >that they'll have to wait till 2007 before they go to Moose Jaw.

That's quite a long wait â “ any idea why?

From what I understand (read: I may be wrong here) all the courses until 2007 have allready been filled by NATO pilots we are training.  Lucky for me theres allways room in Gagetown.

Back