• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness

canadianblue

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the physical fitness aspect of the military. In the Canadian Armed Forces what physical fitness activities do you have to do, and if your going in for a military policeman what level of physical fitness would be preferred?

PS: Please be specific, and don't generalize by just saying physical fitness is easy.

Thanks for the info :)

http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

http://army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

This has been posted about so many times and is not hard at all to find..

Did you do a search on "physical fitness" here?

...Did you even check the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre? Because they got it all there in plain sight.

The CF usually does excercises like pushups chinups and situps and they do allot of runningbefore u apply for the forces u should start an excercise regimen. So u could get in shape. I think that it is a great idea seeing as I have a plan myself and it is working beautifully if u need a plan to follow u could pm me and I'll email it to u if u like. hope this helps and good luck :salute:

hey im new to this forum and i was wondering i read alot about the physical fitness of the canadian forces and i read people saying that for doing pushups you have to go down till you're chest touches the ground. but i also read that you should go down but not touch the ground its getting sort of confusing about what i should follow? im 17 and im graduating this year I am hopping to get into the military thats what i have always wanted to do . so any info you guys could let me know about push ups would be greatly appreciated.
THanks

when I did my physical the biggest things the evaluator looked for were my elbows hitting at least 90 degrees and full lock at top. Ive also heard from others that some want your chin to touch the mat....it all boils down to what your evaluator deems is a proper push up, from hand positioning ( to close together, to spread out...to not going low enough etc ). Best bet before heading in for your physical is to be able to do at least 25+ pushups just to make sure you can pump those extra few where you didnt go down far enough etc

hey thanks alot for the info ill get workin on goin down far and holding it then hopefully i should have no problems with how they ask me to do them again thanks alot!

Mischiefz said:
when I did my physical the biggest things the evaluator looked for were my elbows hitting at least 90 degrees and full lock at top. Ive also heard from others that some want your chin to touch the mat....it all boils down to what your evaluator deems is a proper push up, from hand positioning ( to close together, to spread out...to not going low enough etc ). Best bet before heading in for your physical is to be able to do at least 25+ pushups just to make sure you can pump those extra few where you didnt go down far enough etc

The pushups sound like the toughest part of the PT test!
My concern is not the amount of pushups you have to do but will they   be
exactly to the CF standard? ???
I do pushups every day but without someone to evaluate me, I may be incorrect during the test! ???

Veterans son
when you do your fit test the tester will have you lie on face down on the floor. he'll stand over your back and make sure that your hands are under your shoulders with your fingers pointing forward.( this will put the buld of the stress on your tricept).  he will ask you to push up and lack your elbows, he will have his fist on the floor....you lower you body so you shoulder will touch his fist.  that's one push-up.

Thanks for your reply, ab136, as it certainly is helpful! :)

I've been reading over this thread, and I find it worrisome as a prospective member of the Infantry or Combat Engineers, particularly in regards to the PT side of things. I don't expect to have problems with most of BMQ, but the PT is a problem. I can do 45+ push-ups, I've hiked hard trails for ages (20km/day for 7 days), and never once had to fall out of a PT formation.

Problem is, I can only do 2 chin ups....

I guess what I'm worried about is how much is this going to impede my progress. I can swim, run, do sit-ups and push ups, I just can't do chin-ups. Any thoughts?

You will have ro learn how to do more I knoqw its a hard thing ta say but its true. Good luck dude :salute:

Don't worry if your not doing it properly they will tell you once and then start screaming at you how to do it the proper way.

Ah memories  ;D

I held my breath so I wouldn't laugh when the insturctor was screaming at me.

Well, right now my workout plan is as follows.

At least three times a week within a 40 minute time period
3-5 sets of 35 pushups
3-5 sets of 40 crunches

3 times a week running between 4-8 kilometres

So far its been working for me, the most pushups I can do is 50 and I think that number is starting to improve somewhat.

I don't know if this is the right place for this , but how does the CF feel about the use of protein and creatine supplements ? I use them regularly, usually before a workout, as I seem to not function all that well on an empty tummy. would there be a problem on basic with sucking back a protein shake before PT? with a creatine chaser of course!
:salute:

in regards to the protein shake/creatine... you have enough time to get dressed in the morning and pack away your kit.... they say we are supposed to drink lots of water before PT, but we rarely even are given the chance to get that into us... so I highly doubt you will have time to drink down a protein shake or anything like that, without barfing it up during PT.

I share the same view as Sappo I don't think thatyou will have enough time to chug down that shake in the morning. cheers and good luck :salute:

A problem with protein shakes is the storage and supply of the powder.  Assuming your
going to St.Jean, you may want to make sure you are allowed to have it.  Recruits
are not allowed to have "food" in the barracks.

Secondly, BMQ is not an overall fitness course.  It will challenge/develop your physical
and cardio conditioning and endurance, but not bulk you up.  You'd be wasting money
on powder.  The meals served in the St.Jean mess are pretty good and you'll get
sufficient protein from your choices of food.

I'd suggest waiting until after BMQ where you have more control over your fitness training
and get the protein powder then.

Back