• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petition: "Buy a Soldier a Coffee Day"

I haven't seen the online thread/petition thingy, but I imagine that it's froma  civilian.  If someone were to buy me a coffee, i would smile and graciously accept it and say "Thank You."  If someone wants to buy me a coffee, which in the grand scheme of things isn't very much, it would humble me and I hope that I wouldn't have the gall to say "no thank you.  But, if you want to help, here's how".  But, that's just me.

I do agree with others who have said that the Tim's boxes for their summer camps are their favourite place for change.  Same here.  Send a kid to camp across the country for free for when they couldn't otherwise afford it.  But, in the meantime, I'll just do my duty because I'm not doing it for gratitude, I'm doing it for a host of reasons, all of which are personal to me.  But, if someone thanks me, I'll simply say "you're welcome".

Here's another way to say 'Thank you'

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/messageboard/index_e.asp

I agree with the sentiment of the petition. That being said, I think Tim's does quite enough for the CF, and I'm a little uncomfortable asking them for more.

I actually started the original petition of this over a year ago and took things in to my own hands.  Started a website coffee4ourtroops.com and to date have sent over 5000 worth of free coffee to our guys in Kandahar all with messages on the back of them.  Quite flattering to see it spreading though :)

For the record

Tim Horton's waived all franchise fee's in setting up the Timmies in Kandahar
all proceeds from the Tim's over there go back in to family programs and the cfpsa
Tim Horton's donated 9000 in ads to my website and the effort
THey also sent me a Tim Horton's Kandahar hat which I wear damn proudly :)

One More thing too, the Legion has a "Troop Morale" fund too which has sent over 20,000 since Christmas alone in free Timmies Certificates!

Here's the Logo I made for it also!

n2356701626_4959.jpg

Two thoughts

1) When in Winnipeg in 97 during the floods the overwhelming support, pats on the backs, cheers, and even food from
people sent morale through the roof.  It's not Afghanistan I know.  However, as it has been said a coffee is nice but so are/were other
things that were done for us. (including a play put on by the local school)

2)  HOWEVER, buying a coffee for troops (aka supporting the troops) goes both ways.  The people who donate money
feel that, even if in some small way, that they are participating.  For some people maybe this is the only way to participate.
Some military chaplains in 33 Bde collected money at their churches for Timmie's certificates (which I'm sending over).  So
for some members who have no other options this is a way they can participate.  It also serves as an awareness campaign
in different and varied venues which we may not otherwise have access to.

If done properly, we could use this as a way to help educate people about what we are doing and why despite any
minor stigma which may be attached to it.

So yes, we are definitely not a charity case.  But there are other good merits to these types of ideas.

Back