• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Taxes and Premiums

I looked at my pay statement and they just increased the amount of income tax taken. It isn't identified as a separate deduction.

That's because Dalton was hoping that you would forget all about his broken promise and  not notice the extra deduction.

I wonder what the next big money grab is going to be - an air breathing tax perhaps?

He's already admitted it. Photo radar and red light cameras. Hey I wonder if they'll do like the NDP did and tax dirt?

So we're taxed on pretty much everything that we use - does anybody know what other commonwealth countires are like for taxes?

Here is a link to some stats on other nations' income tax rates:

http://www1.worldbank.org/publicsector/tax/personalincometaxes.html

Note that the upper table is just averages for each nation, see the lower table for the range of tax rates in those nations.

But, they're pretty much meaningless numbers without a detailed comparison of what services are provided to the citizens of each country in return.

Kings Town Jimmy said:
I'm going to rant about the average deductions for regular working class folk in Ontario. When it was finally announced that we in Ontario have to start paying into an Ontario Health Premium, I was floored! One reason led to another which then led me here to ***** about it.

Being in the military, my health benefits are covered by a federal budget. My doctor, prescriptions, eyewear and even dental are all covered by a federal \ military budget. My OHIP card was turned over to the military for destruction upon enrollment. Even if I seek civilian medical attention, emergency or otherwise, I present a Blue Cross card and the federal government is billed accordingly.

So my question is, why am I paying $37.50 per month for an Ontario Health Premium?

Let's say for example (I'm unsure of the actual number) that there are close to 10,000 military personal in Ontario. At $450.00 to $650.00 per year for each member, an accumulation of $4,500,000.00 to $6,500,000.00 comes from sources that will not be able to utilize the service.

So does this mean that I can start seeking civilian care? Nope.

This led me to thinking about our other deductions.

If you make between $3500.00 and 67,000.00 you are paying the following taxes in Ontario:
FEDERAL: 22%
PROVINCIAL: 31%
EQUALS: 53%

So, for every $1000.00 that you earn, you get to keep $470.00. Let's not forget about our PST and GST either!

Out of that $470.00, we can effectively spend $400.00 once the GST and PST come into play.

60% of our earned monies is taken for taxes. That would mean that from January to August, we are working for the government. HOLY CRAP!

Isn't this how revolutions, civil wars and guerilla warfare start? Ah but wait, that only happens when governments rape a country that isn't preoccupied with mass media, television, Big Mac's and a passive lifestyle.

Oh! Can't forget about those gas, liquor and tobacco taxes either!

I TOTALLY very much agree with you! Let it be known ..."NOBODY can invalidate the pro-capitalist law of supply and demand" . The New Democrats attempted but failed..... read : Forest loggers, no experience, $21/hr,Classified Ads, Toronto Star, Friday, September 11, 2004. The lesser the taxes, the more investments, the more investments (like Singapore and USA), the more taxes, the more money for health care and welfare"" .National debts stand at whopping 800 billion dollars.Singapore and Taiwan have surplus by the billions. America was able to wipe 1/4 of debt when Clinton was pressured to cut taxes. The reason why America is still indebted is because they have large military expenditure for projects like the effective missile defense system.  I do not want to frighten the public. But what if there comes a time that we default in payment of national debts. and one thing more. I am willing to refuse things that are free just to keep the economy working. Read the The Decline and Fall of the Welfare State by Davidson.That is how patriotic we are in CF.( I wish I am an active member of Canadian Armed Forces. I am disabled.)

Sorry to revive a dead thread and all....  But I think that you are getting hosed in Ontario.  In BC there is a Health Care premium, but members of the CF do NOT pay it.  I only have to pay for my wife's premium (which comes off my pay cheque). 

I would seriously consider talking to the Ontario Government and bringing up your concerns - You are paying for a service that you have no access to:

http://www.gov.on.ca/FIN/english/media/2004/bke-ohp.htm

Since it was just enacted - and the Provincial government is a little young in Onterrible - they may or may not be aware of what they can and cannot do.

Cheers

Don't worry Zoomie....The Liberal Ontario Government  ::) has made several controversial moves in enacting Legislation concerning Health Care in Ontario....Shafting the CF members is only one of them. :-

So far they are batting a thousand.  They have broken......no, done exactly the opposite as what they promised the electorate during the last election.  Dalton McInty doesn't even give consideration to his own riding in all the cuts he has made to Hospitals and Health Care.  Don't think his party will last too long.

GW

You are telling the truth i live in Ottawa south which is his riding. Since the party bought him a house in T.O. i think he does not know where Ottawa is anymore.  There is one good thing to keep hope alive i don't think his partywill get reelected.

George Wallace said:
Don't worry Zoomie....The Liberal Ontario Government   ::) has made several controversial moves in enacting Legislation concerning Health Care in Ontario....Shafting the CF members is only one of them. :-

Not too worried George, I don't live there anymore.  However, as a CF member, I would be calling the Ontario government and demanding an explanation as to why you had to pay the premium.  They would not be able to produce one valid reason.  Getting boned is one thing, but sitting around and doing nothing about it is a completely different story.

When the time zone difference permits, I will make such a call to Onterrible tommorrow and see if I can get a good answer.

Cheers

You know what I think? There is one guiding principle that guides some Liberals like Sorbara and McGuinty [ no no, not Gordon Campbell and centrist-right wing liberals like McLellan and Paul Martin]and closet commie New Democrats into enacting exacting legislation. What? Whines at the workplace like "I'm tired" and "I would not[or I can't] do this. This work is hard"

REPLY:

"WHERE CAN YOU FIND WORK THAT IS NOT HARD. EVEN IN CUBA WORK IS HARD. IT IS HARDEST IF NOT HARDER. YOU TOIL THE FIELDS!!"-centrist-right wing filipino once-a-factory-worker who took engineering lessons at night and ended up being manager of the plant. He TOILS in vancouver and mind you, two shifts a day! But nobody can match the industriousness of Canadian Armed Forces. They wake up 6 in the morning. Do their flag ceremonies. Do their drills like marching, push ups, situps,etc. Then they do surveillance of enemy territory in scorching heat in Iraq and Afghanistan, Bosnia etc. Then the RMC cadets study up to 9:30 pm and then clean their boots, clean the toilets, iron their clothes and then fix their beds, do laundry . It is like working three shifts a day. :salute:

Read the World Almanac. See the Transportation statistics of each country. Compare ours, US's, British's, Australians' transportation statistics[how many cars do a middle-class US or Canadian family own;average 1.5 per family of 3; 4 per family of 6..etc] Compare them with Cuba or any communist country. Paranoia always seep in the minds of the closet commies in the New Democrats. They got that thinking that life is better in a communist country. Wrong! Worst!!

Yard Ape said:
It is funny that the provinces that were most proud of thier tax cutting records have had to subject thier populations to health care premiums (AB & ON).

If everyone has to pay it, why not just raise income tax & keep it simple (one tax).   Oh wait, then we might recognize that premiums are taxes.

All provinces subject their citizens to health care premiums... they just don't realize it because it is included in their income taxes. Alberta believes that if you have a direct understanding of how much health care costs you might be more responsible in consuming it. Regardless, every Albertan gets care even if they don't pay premiums.

As to the original issue... I think that it is fundamentaly wrong for Ontario to demand premiums from CF members. They should adopt a policy like Alberta where the member does not pay for themselves, but for their family. So in my case, I pay for 3 rather than 4 insured persons. Single CF members do not pay.

This looks like a good topic for someone like Scott Taylor (much though I dislike his methods), or some opposition politician. Failing that, a legal challenge might be in order. I hazard that Ontario's stance is contrary to the Canada Health Act. As the Federal Government is a Health Authority and that one Authority can not demand premiums from those covered by another Authority (ie: Ont asking Que citizens to pay OHIP). Added to which, Federal statutes have primacy over Provincial ones.

Its just easier (hence cheaper) to administer the premium by having it blacket every tax paying citizen and having it directly tied to income.

Unfortunately for us....it is the easiest way to initiate a fair system for everyone.

Armymedic said:
Unfortunately for us....it is the easiest way to initiate a fair system for everyone.
But the question at hand is "is it fair to charge premiums to those who don't get their health care from the jurisdiction making the charge?" As such, it is far from fair.

ModlrMike said:
All provinces subject their citizens to health care premiums... they just don't realize it because it is included in their income taxes. Alberta believes that if you have a direct understanding of how much health care costs you might be more responsible in consuming it.
ModlrMike said:
But the question at hand is "is it fair to charge premiums to those who don't get their health care from the jurisdiction making the charge?" As such, it is far from fair.
Should there be reduced provincial income taxes for CF members in provinces without health care premiums?   While we are at it, maybe we soldiers should pay higher federal taxes so average-joe is not subsidising our peacetime health care.    ... or walk away from this can of worms.

Premiums are just another provincial tax.   If the citizens of a province are too idle to look-up where their income tax goes, then the province can send out a pie chart on the back of the annual tax instruction booklet (or mandate QuickTax to provide a link).

How about a flat tax for the CF?

Posted back east, I took a 4.2% gross pay cut compared to Ontario. Provincial income tax out here is ridiculous for the services offered.

Back