• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Health "Premium"

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I guess no military person in Ontario has a family?

Many of them have a family, almost as many without a family doctor.

I am split on this. I feel I should not have to pay tax for something I can not use, and I feel by paying  I will contribute to making Ont health care better. A system BTW, we all use after hours when the base clinics are closed. This was discussed at the LFCA Comd/Surg Gen level with LFCA giving qualified support to the tax.

Unfortunately, around Petawawa, we are so short of doctors many families can not get one. One of the more popular ones is closing her office and can not find someone to take over her practice. Perhaps a prudent polictical move would be for the Gov't make getting doctors into the Pembroke/Petawawa area a priority.

That is not a situation unique to Petawawa, and it has nothing to do with the army. Most centres in Ontario are desperately short of doctors of all stripes. Even in London, where there are large teaching hospitals, there are over 60,000 people without a family doctor.  Entire floors of new hospitals are closed for lack of staff.

Another Liberal government that has peeved me off enough not to get my vote.  Oh and hydro is going up 6%-15% starting May.  Property taxes are rising etc.    Maybe I should ask for a posting out of Ontario?

Property taxes & Hydro increases are not exclusive to Ontario...
grass may look greener - isn't always the case

mudeater said:
John Tory press release 04/05/06

MILITARY SHOULDN’T PAY MCGUINTY HEALTH TAX
McGuinty okay with armed forces paying tax even though feds cover their health care

(Queen’s Park) – Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory today said Dalton McGuinty should not be forcing members of the military to pay his health tax when the federal government pays for their health care needs.

“Ontario doesn’t pay for our soldiers health care but Dalton McGuinty makes them pay his health tax,” said Tory. “Canada’s armed forces put their lives on the line and Dalton McGuinty is making them pay more and get absolutely nothing for it. He promised not to increase taxes and he definitely never promised to ask our military to pay more and get nothing.”

Despite being in the Legislature today, Dalton McGuinty refused to answer questions from Tory about the McGuinty tax on armed forces as well as questions about year-end government spending. Other provinces in Canada such as Alberta and British Columbia, exempt armed forces personnel from health care levies or taxes because their health care costs are covered by the federal government.

“Dalton McGuinty’s refusal to be accountable for his health tax says it all,” said Tory. “Not only did he break his signature promise, he refuses to even answer for the fallout from that broken promise. Our men and women who fight for Canada deserve much better than this.”

Sorry, but as a soldier with a family living in Ontario, I disagree completetely with this. Our contribution towards OHIP helps to ensure that our family members, who unlike US forces are not covered by any primary military health care (PSHC is back-up, not primary), will get the health care that they need. As well, I have civilian extended family members in Ontario, whose health and hapiness I also value, so if my OHIP dollars go towards their care, I'm OK with that, too. Simply being in the military is not a complete release from civil obligations like taxes, etc

Cheers

geo said:
Property taxes & Hydro increases are not exclusive to Ontario...
grass may look greener - isn't always the case

Got that right!!

Anyways, back onto topic.

My husband and I were discussing this same topic a little while ago. We both don't like the amount of tax that is deducted from his pay, but since he has become sick and is using the services of the "public" we have no problems with it now. Just in MRI costs, we would be looking at somewhere between $2000 and $4000 USD per MRI, and he has had three in the last 5 months. His CT Scan would have cost anywhere from $300 to $1,000 USD, and he has had two.

We are very glad that we have the medical system we do and are quite content with the amount of taxes he pays to cover those costs so that we don't have to sell our first born to pay for them.

I have no problem paying into the collective healthcare in what ever Provence I may be in.  In the long run it helps my wife and kids and the system as a whole.  Everyone complains about services and wait times but no one wants to pony up the cash.  Tax me as much as you want as long as I see services being provided and our society improve as a whole.  Countries with higher taxes tend to have good healthcare, schooling and social programs all things that are a falling apart in this country and south of the boarder.

However as a Sailor I be leave taxes should only be deducted when I'm within Canadian waters.  If I was a Canadian working in the oil and gas industry offshore (outside Canadian waters) or on an engineering project offshore for a Canadian company I would get 40% of my incometax back.  This applies to our sailors on Canadian flagged civi ships.  My job changes very little weather I'm in the Gulf or in the Caribian.  A ship is inherently dangerous weather your getting shot at or not.  It would be a big bonus to our sailors and I don't think many people would mind sailing 6 months+ a year if there taxes were cut back. 

The Navy puts in allot of time away. Operational or not we're on the water away from home 4 to 8 months a year.  Forces wide deployed personnel should get a tax Break.  Might help bring that 23000 recuits they need too.
:cdn:

Since the Federal Government pays 100% for mil mbrs healthcare, to say that it would cost a mil mbr a lot of money if they didn't pay the Health Premium is simply not true.  It is true that Alberta and BC do not call it a tax, but they are fees.  Perhaps one of the problems is in the name.  The Liberals in Ont didn't want people to think that they were raising taxes.  Most Canadians do not pay much attention to politics, etc or have a very short attention span.  The Liberals are hoping that Ontarioans will forget about it, like most politicians do (Federal Lilberals).  Calling it a premium instead of a tax was simply political.  Liberals should call it what it is, the Ontario Health Tax.
Also, I think that most mil mbrs in Ontario would accept paying the tax if we saw an improvement in heatlh services.  I am from Ontario (born in Niagara region) and have lived here for most of my life.  Throughout Ontario, doctors are becoming a rarity. 
Personally, I do not agree with paying the tax.  The Ontario Government is double-dipping, taking money from us and from the Federal Government.  So, I don't and would not feel guilty going to an Ontario hospital after hours since I know that the Ontario Government will be reimbursed dollar for dollar.  It is not a case of paying our fair share, but a case of, if I'm going to pay for it, then I should have better access to it and my family should have much, much better healthcare.  Also, has no one thought that we are paying for our own healthcare through our income taxes (where do you think the Federal Government gets the money to pay for military mbrs' healthcare?).
By the way, whether I pay it or not, my wife would if she made enough money.  So to say, "don't military pers have families too?" doesn't wash.  If the family mbr makes enough, they too will pay the tax.
Bottom line, if they're going to make me pay it, then I should legally be allowed to have an Ontario Health Card and be able to have the choice if I want to go to the MIR or to the local hospital.  If not, don't make me pay the tax and I'll gladly go to the MIR.

Scoobs makes some good points.

Question:  Is it fair for DND to deduct Health Taxes from Members in provinces like Ontario, and not reimburse them; while reimbursing Health Fees deducted from Members in Provinces such as Alberta?  Semantics aside, it really is a double standard.  I suppose there are also other instances in the various Taxes put on CF Members throughout the different Provinces and Territories.

Cpl Thompson said:
And the worm can has been opened.... Pardon me while I go put my Asbestos suit on.......

and I cant even begin to list the number of reasons why having them not pay tax is a really really BAD idea.... other then the big ones, like
a) its just not feasable
and
b) no one else in the country would tolerate it

No one else in the country would tolerate it? Persons with native status do not pay tax... yet they still benefit from society. Members in the CF should at least have to pay a very reduced tax if at all. They offer their lives to make sure we infact keep our society.

It would be an amazing recruiting incentive, no one would want to leave, and I'm sure through better money management, the government can find ways to come up with the lost tax money.

Fry,
So what do the LEO of this country do? Hang around do-nut shops all day?

Wow $40 a month that is crazy money. I am sure people are going to plan their lives around a tank of gas.

"I was going to get out but how can I say no to $40 a month?"

I believe its around 45% of your Ontario Provincial Income tax goes to Health Care anyways. Even with the extra $900 tax/fee added, that amount is still lower for most SM than the total provincial income tax rates in NB and QC to name a couple.

Fry said:
It would be an amazing recruiting incentive, no one would want to leave, and I'm sure through better money management, the government can find ways to come up with the lost tax money.

Recruiting incentive? I honestly don't see that happening. Enlisting to save a few $ a month? Maybe I just have to high an opinion of the CF membership, but I don't think people enlist to save $50.00 a month.

Fry said:
Persons with native status do not pay tax...
Uhhh.... Fry - Inuit don't have native status. They are expected to pay GST like the rest of us.

What taxes are you paying if its only 50$ a month?  The Government takes 1/3 of my pay every year.  Thats a pretty hefty chunk of change.

Navy_Blue said:
What taxes are you paying if its only 50$ a month?  The Government takes 1/3 of my pay every year.  Thats a pretty hefty chunk of change.

That's what I was thinking... prehaps I'm missing something here. My apologies if so.

My 2 cents worth;  It seems to me, in a perfect Canadian Forces, this charging for OHIP issue, would be handled quite nicely by DBD/CF by simply reimbursing [the CF mbrs portion only] via PLD.    However, you just know thast it's most likely not ....    :salute:

cheers...Evocatus.

Bravo Zulu to you TMM......we in the forces should pay a flat tax like we would if posted overseas.
I gave up counting how many times me and the family got screwed every time a posting rears its
ugly head.

Andrew Macleod

geo said:
Uhhh.... Fry - Inuit don't have native status. They are expected to pay GST like the rest of us.

That's funny... I know a guy who claims he's 1/8 inuit and has a greencard and claims he doesn't pay taxes...

Back