• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On Killing

Infanteer said:
However, I think Grossman has it backwards - man does not have a natural aversion to killing which is overcome through social factors (training); rather man is instinctively a very proficient killing machine and society and culture have been formed to act as social, artificial barriers which lead to the non-firer.  

I agree.  this is supported by a small group of behaviour pcyschologists who see childhood not as a method of learning communication and social skills, but taming our anger so that we dont kill each other when provoked. 

Just got the book. 9er got the hint.  ;D

Can't wait to start reading.

I had the chance to hear him lecture at the U of S a couple of years ago. He is more impressive in person than he is in his books and that is a hard feat!

If you have read them, do it again, they are so packed with information that you miss some in the first go through.
If you have not and are in the profession of arms, these are a must read, not a If you want to Read

DirtyDog said:
Absolutely, it wouldn't have anything to do with the subject, but the book's relative obscurity means I haven't seen at most popular book outlets and isn't as easily attainable online (amazon, chapters) as some more popular books might be.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/On-Killing-Dave-Grossman/9780316330114-item.html?ref=Books%3a+Search+Top+Sellers

Just after "On Combat" came out, I got my copy via "amazon.com", not "amazon.ca". 

Scants

Roy Harding said:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/On-Killing-Dave-Grossman/9780316330114-item.html?ref=Books%3a+Search+Top+Sellers

DirtyDog said:
Excellent.  Thank you.  i could have sworn thta I've checked chapters.

Now to find a copy of "On Combat".

;)

Scants said:
Just after "On Combat" came out, I got my copy via "amazon.com", not "amazon.ca". 

Scants

Any complications ordering from the US site?

DirtyDog said:
Any complications ordering from the US site?

http://www.killology.com/on_combat.htm

Just higher shipping and customs fees.  In fact, depending upon shipping and customs fees, it MAY be cheaper ordering from the States - don't get me started on having a dollar "on par" with the US, and yet book (and other) prices are substantially HIGHER in Canadian $.

Roy

I didn't have any problems ordering from the States.  I just checked amazon.com and the have it on for $18.30.  With the dollar near par, as DirtyDog pointed out, it's an even sweeter deal. Besides, there's only 1 way to find out if there's going to be a problem ordering it and that's to order it.

Scants

Well, I managed to get On Combat through amazon.ca.  They had 1 new copy in stock.  Combined the order with Storm of Steel which I've been meaning to get to for awhile as well. 8)

Amazon.ca was offering On Killing and On Combat as a "package" - almost enough to get free shipping too.  Amazon.ca's prices are pretty fair exchange wise when you factor in the 2.5% minimum a credit card will charge you for a USD order, plus the shipping charge from the US.  A $39 order from amazon.ca ships free.

I spend about $100 a month minimum on books to build my library, parity and amazon are lifesavers.

DirtyDog said:
Well, I managed to get On Combat through amazon.ca.  They had 1 new copy in stock. 

Because I have the other new copy.  ;) I had no problems with amazon.ca

Just an FYI - Signed copies of On Combat and On Killing can both be purchased here:

http://www.lwcbooks.com/

I found the link searching eBay after Wes said he got a signed copy off eBay.

I have got into about half in the book now.

All I can say is "wow".

It really opens your eyes a lot.
Can't wait to finish the book off soon.

Regards,
TN2IC

Sgt  Schultz said:
I have got into about half in the book now.

All I can say is "wow".

It really opens your eyes a lot.
Can't wait to finish the book off soon.

Regards,
TN2IC

If you think the books are good, you should here him Col Grossman speak.  I had the opportunity to sit through a PD session with him on the psychology of combat and I was completely engrossed in everything he had to say.  I had read 'On Killing' years before and couldn't put the book down.  I have yet to read 'On Combat' but he quoted it frequently during his session.  It's on the top of my to read list.

I finally had the chance to sit down and read this book fully twice. And all I can say is wow.. It really opens your eyes a lot. I won't go into details about it due to I don't want to ruin it for anyone else. But it's sure worth every penny.

Regards,
Schultz

Back