• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No delivery to CFB Esquimalt

Back in my Navy days I had an OS that liked the bottle, maybe a wee bit too much (young kid though and apparently he's grown out of it) and came to work late, alot, after a few verbals, (4) for missing flash up or just being late he was finaly charged (once the coxn found out) he got a fine the first tiem, next time was in a foreign port on the way to the gulf, that one cost him 10 days confined to ship, MUP musters and the like, the next one, in theater cost him 500 bucks and 20 days confined to ship. This kid saw I think a whole 13 Hours of shore time on a 6 month trip.  Funny thing the CO at the time had a sense of humour, or duty. And only had time to hold summary's the day before we went alongside,  I think there was a reason (sarcasm) for it don't you?

ArtyNewbie said:
Back in my Navy days I had an OS that liked the bottle, maybe a wee bit too much (young kid though and apparently he's grown out of it) and came to work late, alot, after a few verbals, (4) for missing flash up or just being late he was finaly charged (once the coxn found out) he got a fine the first tiem, next time was in a foreign port on the way to the gulf, that one cost him 10 days confined to ship, MUP musters and the like, the next one, in theater cost him 500 bucks and 20 days confined to ship. This kid saw I think a whole 13 Hours of shore time on a 6 month trip.  Funny thing the CO at the time had a sense of humour, or duty. And only had time to hold summary's the day before we went alongside,  I think there was a reason (sarcasm) for it don't you?

Sure the CO had a reason for it -- and good on him. But, really, should it have come to that?

I'm confused as to what exactly your reasonings were for 4 (four !!!) verbals? And, what exactly did the coxn think about that 'lil number? Holy crap over -- the way I look at it -- if the kid's sorted out NOW, he'd have been sorted out sooner if you dispensed the verbal as appropriate and then followed it up IAW regulations the second time instead of procrastinating a further three times. That's not discipline. That's letting people become used to the behavior knowing shit isn't going to result from it because their leader's going to yell at them for 10 seconds and be done with it.  Nothing like a step up the disciplinary ladder to either ensure they sort themselves out -- or get the hell out.

My thoughts? Perhaps, proper discplinary processing of this individual in the first place by his leadership would have resulted in a much more professional soldier on that deployment who would actually have been useful to the Ship's Company and who may have actually gotten to enjoy some foreign ports of call as well. Leadership won in the end -- but it failed miserably in the beginning.

"...Secondly, the barracks Nelles Block at Work Point, CFB Esquimalt, is named in honour of Admiral Nelles."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_W._Nelles

TCBF said:
"...Secondly, the barracks Nelles Block at Work Point, CFB Esquimalt, is named in honour of Admiral Nelles."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_W._Nelles

???

I must've missed the episode of "Frontiers of Construction" where they dug up Nelles Block at Naden, and moved it down Esquimalt Road to Work Point.  ;D

Bloody Wikipedia....

ArmyVern said:
Sure the CO had a reason for it -- and good on him. But, really, should it have come to that?

I'm confused as to what exactly your reasonings were for 4 (four !!!) verbals? And, what exactly did the coxn think about that 'lil number? Holy crap over -- the way I look at it -- if the kid's sorted out NOW, he'd have been sorted out sooner if you dispensed the verbal as appropriate and then followed it up IAW regulations the second time instead of procrastinating a further three times. That's not discipline. That's letting people become used to the behavior knowing crap isn't going to result from it because their leader's going to yell at them for 10 seconds and be done with it.  Nothing like a step up the disciplinary ladder to either ensure they sort themselves out -- or get the hell out.

My thoughts? Perhaps, proper discplinary processing of this individual in the first place by his leadership would have resulted in a much more professional soldier on that deployment who would actually have been useful to the Ship's Company and who may have actually gotten to enjoy some foreign ports of call as well. Leadership won in the end -- but it failed miserably in the beginning.
At the time I was a very jr LS and rather out of power to do anything other than an a#% chewing on the flag deck, my reccomendations to my immed supr were either ignored or tempered, I have no idea what the swain thought when he found out about the multiple admin attempts to correct his actions but I personally thought the disciplinary should have come alot sooner and it might not have gotten to 4 Verbals, my thoughts of course. (being on the recieving end of a couple in my younger days)

"Vice-Admiral Percy Nelles, CB, RCN, after whom the Nelles Block in Esquimalt is named;"

http://www.vanguardcanada.com/Honouringourpast

Sorry for the error in my previous post.  'My Bad', as they say...

TCBF said:
"Vice-Admiral Percy Nelles, CB, RCN, after whom the Nelles Block in Esquimalt is named;"

http://www.vanguardcanada.com/Honouringourpast

Sorry for the error in my previous post.  'My Bad', as they say...

No apologies, my friend.  Only those who served in Esquimalt years ago would know that, and an old salt like me avoided Work Point like the plague - 'cause it wasn't sailor-friendly, to put it mildly.

Back