• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need help tracking an email origin

navy-nesop

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is a special request.  Long story short...13 years ago my girlfriend at the time got pregnant.  It's basically when I decided to transfert reg force.  While in BMQ, she cheated on me and ended up leaving me.  (Basic military story).  So when my son was born, I was in Halifax and she put on the birth certificate "unknown father".  I have tried to fight for my right a few times at the beginning but it was difficult and ended up giving up for the time being.  (sorry it's getting long but it's a long story...)

Now, 2 days ago my sister found is blog on internet.  She contacted him and so I did.  I made sure not to be direct, did not want to screw his mind up.  My sister  talk to him on MSN.  Turned out his step dad found the firs email and posed as him writing.

Now, I got two different emails where the content and tone where different than what my sister experienced.  I' am thinking that it might be really him writing.  So I need a way to find out the location where is email was sent.  I' am hopping that if he use a computer in school, the IP address might be different than from his computer at home.

Does anyone know how to do this?

My second questions would be.  Could I legally have problems from contacting him.  His step dad threathed to adopt him so I can't do anything.  Would this wave any of my rights?  I know I should probably talk to a lawyer but with 2 kids that live with me and a wife on and OS salary incentive one, kind of feel the pain money wises.

Thanks for taking the time for reading this.  You guys are great.  I' am sure I can find help within the military family.

regards, navy-nesop

To check out the originator of an email message you'll have to view it's headers. If you scroll through it all you'll see a section like this:

Code:
Received: from host.name ([ip.add.re.ss])
	by email.server.com
	with MailProgram ; Date Time

Basically, the from line indicates the hostname and IP address of the originator followed by the by line which lists the name of the email server they used. Finally, you have the with line that indicates the name of the mail daemon and the date and time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

They are using Hotmail so the originating IP address is from Washington.  I was trying to find where he logged on to use hotmail.  I probably  can't know this info from a Hotmail.

Sometimes web based email services will add the

X-OriginatingIP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

header which will show the IP of the originator. I can't say whether Hotmail does this or not.

Email originating from a Hotmail account will contain the header line "X-Originating-IP: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]", which refers to the IP address of the sender.  I just tested it.

Once you have an IP, you can use a site like this:

http://www.arin.net/whois/

to see (if I'm not mistaken) where the internet service provider is for a start.

Got it.........

Found him...spent 3 hours on MSN with him.

Thanks for your help guys.

this is navy-nesop (the happiest man alive), out

navy....
His step dad threathed to adopt him so I can't do anything.  Would this wave any of my rights?  I know I should probably talk to a lawyer but with 2 kids that live with me and a wife on and OS salary incentive one, kind of feel the pain money wises.

You aren't the 1st military dad to have problems with an ex and the kids... nor will you be the last.  Try using the family resource centre on your base.
They should have legal aid - lawyers who can answer your questions at little or no cost to you.

Get it off your chest & clean the air - you'll feel better for the effort.

Good luck!

Also, I think most provinces should have the equivalent of Ontario's Family Responsibility Office which might be able to offer some non-legal, process-related advice for free as well.

Take care, N-N, and good luck!!!

I hate to be the "wet blanket" of reality, but have you considered a DNA test to ensure you are indeed that father?
I am not trying to suggest otherwise, I've just known too many people who paid a lot of child support for a child that wasn't theirs.

Back