• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCM & university degrees

5parta

Inactive
Reaction score
I see a couple of NCM trades I like, but I already have a bachelor & masters degrees related to the trades, does it mean I cannot apply for those trades?
If I can still apply, then how will the degrees help me in any way?

Thanks

You can apply for those trades. You recruiter may try to convince you to join up as an officer, but you certainly have the right to insist upon applying as an NCM. Having a degree may help you, or it may not help you at all. This will vary by trade and degree and whatever regulations / policies may change from year to year. At the very least it might "help" by making it easier to become an officer down the road if you don't like being an NCM. The not statistically insignificant chances of this happening down the road after having spent all the time to train you as an NCM is why I think you'll be likely to get pressure to apply as an officer instead.

Does having relevant degrees help one progress a wee bit faster through, or skip, a rank? Especially the Private rank?

If you apply for and are granted a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), you might be able to skip some or all of your training. Again, it depends heavily upon the trade and degree in question. But, for example, I have a mechanical engineering degree. While what I learned in school may have prepared me to undergo the military's training, absolutely nothing I learned in school would have resembled the training that any of the NCMs in our branch undergo.

To get the result you're looking for, honestly you pretty much have to be looking at some sort of technical or community college. PLAs seem to be all about knowing how to do hands on work. Not knowing the theory behind the hands on work.

I can perhaps think of one or two examples where a degree might involve enough hands on work to allow for a successful PLA for their NCM equivalent (Bachelor of Nursing for Med Tech Training perhaps? Maybe?) but I don't think you're going to get much luck getting out of entire courses. You might get out of aspects of a course. If they have a math course designed to bring people up to speed from the Grade 10 level, and you have a BSc in Math, then you might be able to get the occasional afternoon to go to the gym.

Of course, if you tell us which degrees you have and which trades you're thinking of, we might be able to give you a better idea.

Oh, and having relevant degrees might help for promotions at later ranks too. Again, depending upon the scoring criteria for promotion boards in that trade in that year.

5parta said:
Does having relevant degrees help one progress a wee bit faster through, or skip, a rank? Especially the Private rank?

You won't bypass the Private rank.  You are considered unskilled; or if you are lucky, semi-skilled.  That means that you have absolutely no knowledge, training or skills as a soldier and need to be taught these skills.  Your courses may help you later in your career, but not at the beginning.

Back