• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National military physical-fitness test fails 1,000 people: report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely, there is a Crossfit solution to this? 
assimilate.gif

thduck.gif
beat.gif

MedTech said:
Ruck or die. Regardless of element and trade. True that a Navy pers will probably never ever have to ruck or dig shell scrapes, but one standard for all. Thaks the Army me talking though.

Always believed that myself.  As for the navy, even the navy guys have to make port somewhere. 

Cheers to the 2007 doctrine and Hilliers direction to enhance physical training.  But this is a line for further comment:

"The new results suggest a relatively fit military, though almost 1,300 were excused from testing for medical reasons and another 15,000 remained untested for various reasons, including overseas postings."

15,000 remained untested???  Isnt that about 20-25% of the forces?  I'd be interested to hear what excuses they had 'for various reasons', not everybody is away overseas... 

I'm surprised nobody picked up on this yet:

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
OTTAWA - More than 1,000 military members flunked the first national physical fitness test the Canadian Forces have conducted in a decade, a newly released report shows.
[...]
The report, obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act, shows 286 sailors failed to make the grade.

This is what happens when a news outlet gets a hold of a report without knowing the full picture.

The first national fitness test in a decade?  Scandalous!  ;D

yak said:
it's bloody hard to maintain, let alone build fitness while deployed on a ship.  Not impossible, but hard.

The same holds true for soldiers on operations; especially ones who spend weeks outside of the wire.  Is there no time between ships cruises for Navy pers to do PT (honest question)?

ArmyVern said:
I'm interested to know whether you completed the whole Army Fitness Test or just the 13km BFT portion? Did you do the trench dig as well?

In my almost 6 years in Infantry units (Reg and Res) I've never done the trench dig.  It's always been the 13km ruck and the fireman carry.

As for the PSP push-up Nazis, +1 to that.  Is there really a difference in upper body strength when a guy is an inch off and doesn't get 'em counted?

Greymatters said:
Always believed that myself.  As for the navy, even the navy guys have to make port somewhere. 

Damn right! But I had another officer, who had the gull to tell me that no one should really expect him to take out his sidearm and fire it, so proficiency really isn't that critical! But that's for another thread all together.

Infanteer said:
In my almost 6 years in Infantry units (Reg and Res) I've never done the trench dig.  It's always been the 13km ruck and the fireman carry.

+1, I did my first trench dig this fall... (for a fitness test  ;) )

zipperhead_cop said:
Surely, there is a Crossfit solution to this? 

Of course there is!  ;D Combat Fitness Program

What Is the Combat Fitness Program?

The Combat Fitness Program (CFP) has been developed in response to Chief of the Defence Staff guidance on the requirement for CF members to be more physically fit than ever based on the current operational environment. This Land Force Command program provides a progression from the “Fit to Fight” Army Fitness Program described in the first six chapters of this manual by providing a more functional and intense physical fitness program option.  The CFP derived its origins from the CrossFit ® training method which has been adapted here to meet the special needs of the Canadian Army, by incorporating many of the widely accepted general principles of fitness training taught in the Canadian Forces.    Understanding Canadian Forces fitness fundamentals as well as the background of the CrossFit ® program will help to better appreciate the Combat Fitness Program’s blended design.

CrossFit® is a strength and conditioning system built on constantly varied, if not randomized, functional movements executed at high intensity. Developed by Mr. Greg Glassman, the fitness that CrossFit advocates and develops is broad, general, and inclusive.

More then anything I hate getting injured due to training on my own time as a reservist...with goals of improvement.

Yet, those that dont do anything outside parade nights are allowed to coast by even as bags of shit

Popnfresh... that is a sticking point at the moment.  Lots of paper flying trying to deal with that very subject.

Prior to doing any training for the service - whether organised or individual training - get your physical activity approved by your CO.
If you have a civy job,  get hurt on your own time while working out for your reservist fitness, you are elegible, if all else fails, for provincial workman's compensation.  Small potatoes if you are a student but a fair bit of change if you have a civy job.... also - workman's comp payhments are non taxable.

While sitting at anchor in East Timor one could see the Kiwi's doing circuit training on their flight deck, it was mandatory for them.

There is no reason why the Navy can't incorporate some sort of fitness program at sea (mandatory, not voluntary)  Other than the obvious reason of rough seas.

Perhaps they can take some of the 3 hours of cleaning they do in a day and shift some time into fitness.

Have seen ships company doing laps on the flight deck in Canada.
Is it prevalent?.... probably not but, it can easily be done.... if they want it!

From my personal experience I would say a good portion of the ships company does some sort of PT while on ship/ashore, I feel that a mandatory PT regime would get that 4.6 who fail to the accepted CF level... 

The fitness standards in our military are really low its kinda of pathetic that people can not pass a basic fitness test, the beep test is easy to pass its barely a run at the passing level and the bft is just a boring 2 hour walk. People should take more pride in being in the military and workout on there own and maintain fitness at all times so when you do go on operation or long training you got a good level of fitness to carry you through to the end. We should start having remedial PT sessions for people who fail there pt tests, just my two cents.

geo said:
If you have a civy job,  get hurt on your own time while working out for your reservist fitness, you are elegible, if all else fails, for provincial workman's compensation.  Small potatoes if you are a student but a fair bit of change if you have a civy job.... also - workman's comp payhments are non taxable.

Worker's Compensation would not cover someone for an injury that was not related to his job, plus his civilian employer would have to have coverage.

From the Ontario WSIB  (all the provinces have similiar rules)
To be eligible for WSIB insurance benefits, you must: Have a worker-employer relationship with an employer covered by the WSIB
Have an injury or illness directly related to your work.
Promptly file a claim with the WSIB
Provide all relevant information requested by the WSIB to help us determine your benefits.
Consent to the release of functional abilities information to your employer by the health care professional treating you.

I know here in BC, Workers Comp changed their name to WorkSafe. Why? because they don't compensate anymore. well they do, but they will do anything they can to try and not give you money.

Blackadder1916 said:
Worker's Compensation would not cover someone for an injury that was not related to his job, plus his civilian employer would have to have coverage.

From the Ontario WSIB  (all the provinces have similiar rules)
Well, I work in LFQA and, though the CF does not pay premiums, the CSST can and will treat claims for reservists & CIC who are injured in service related injuries but who, for one reason or another, are not covered by the Reserve Indemnity program.... they pay the individual and bill the Government of Canada for the cost PLUS 20% service fee.

If you have a written directive from your CO that you must do something - even on your own time, then it is, service related... not my interpretation - but that's how they interpret it.

WRT the civy employer... as I said, not 100% true.  so long as you are a reservist then the Gov't of Canada is on the hook....for both

geo said:
If you have a written directive from your CO that you must do something - even on your own time, then it is, service related... not my interpretation - but that's how they interpret it.

So why dont all CO's of reserve units write up mass letters stating the members must do PT on their own time to maintain a form of physical fitness?Wouldnt that cover everyone.
Its been a while for me....

I am not anti-Reservist, but this is a primarily a Reg F issue. Guys and girls who are supposed to meet the minimum fitness standards are not. As it stands, if you do not pass, you can not get promoted...

Do we(the CF we) need to have more options;

-recorded warnings and C&P,
-denial of career courses in addition to the loss of ability to be merited for promotion,
-madatory 1 hr supplemental pt for the next yr....

what more?

As for the navy pers not having room...you can do a crossfit style workout in a closet with a chinup bar, a mat, a skip rope, and a few dumbells. Not having facilities is not an excuse.

As for pers not having time...the CDS' direction is pretty clear...perhaps you need to add an hour onto the workday to fit it in.

Many COs do just that.  Include a statement in it's annual training directive to that effect - there for everyone to see.

Note that many in the gov't don't like the idea of paying the additional 20% fee but "what the hell".

Each province has it's own labour laws and workman's comp... some are more generous than others.  Some are downright stingy...

Let's face it, a reservist who has a full time job elsewhere - gets hurt while training, is entitled to be compensated to his regular earnings AND his part time reserve salary if laid up for a while.  If he was out on Ex then there shouldn't be a problem with getting covered by the Military system BUT, if he is doing his PT on his own time, then the Military system still has a huge problem dealing with it.

It sucks, but there you have it.

MedTech said:
Ruck or die. Regardless of element and trade. True that a Navy pers will probably never ever have to ruck or dig shell scrapes, but one standard for all.

And where does that silliness end?

A goodly portion of the CF is not even issued rucksacks or any other loadbearing equipment. Should every single member be issued it? How much does that cost?

And if it's "one (fitness) standard for all", then it should be "one (medical) standard for all". I nominate Pilot medical standards. That should knock a bunch of you out. Of course, aircrew (equivalent) selection will add a week to the recruiting process, there'll be a little extra cost for all of the extra medicals and eye exams etcetera, and we're a little short of doctors to do it all, but hey...

How about "one (educational) standard for all" as well? Nobody at all gets in without a degree.

There are different elements, components, units, and trades for reasons. A CF-wide cookie-cutter approach does not work, for anything. What is necessary for one is irrelevant for another, and a time-waster.

The EXPRES test is a reasonable pan-CF measurement. BFT only applies to those who carry or may carry their houses on their backs.

X-mo-1979 said:
So why dont all CO's of reserve units write up mass letters stating the members must do PT on their own time to maintain a form of physical fitness?Wouldnt that cover everyone.  Its been a while for me....

There was a push for regular force soldiers to get this done back in the 2000-2003 period (cant remember exactly when).  Everyone in our unit had to write up a letter saying what sports we played or activities we engaged in as part of our exercise programs, and it covered us if we were injured outside of work hours or doing PT 'on our own time'.  Im surprised so few other units seem to do it, and as GEO implied, it shouldnt be a practice that surprises anyone.  Its something that every Sergeant and WO should be making sure gets done. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back