• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National anthem

Do you like/prefer the English or French version of the Canadian national anthem? Est-ce que vous p

• English/Anglais

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • Français/French

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Same/Pas de difference

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters
it is the official flag of the United Kingdon

Hmmm...now you've forced me to try and find all my old crap from IOT (BOTC here). I know we were taught that it isn't the "official" flag of the UK, although it is the flag of the Union. I might just be misinterpreting something here. It confused me then, as it does now. Where's a Monarchist when you need them.

No No, OneWing.You are right! Each country has its own flag, and the UK has the union flag... Scotland has the St Andrew's Cross, England has St. George, Ireland has St. Patrick. Wales was left off because we hate the cross concept and went with a honking great griffin! (yay us). Put 'em all together and you get a union flag.

the Welsh are a strange and perverse race!  :warstory:

Pronto,
thank God! I was beginning to wonder how I ever passed IOT if I couldn't remember that. Thanks for the confirmation, you have just saved me hours of digging through musty, old boxes in the cellar. :salute:

As for the Welsh, having spent a short holding stint at RAF Valley, I'll confirm your view. 8)

Unfortunately, it has been adopted as the "official" emblem of skinheads in the UK. :threat:

Good info guys, thanks.  You mean there may have been someone involved in the design of the maple leaf flag that not only wasn't a Liberal, but was also **gasp** in the military?

Shocking!  ;D

Interesting concept, re: MLF tune and O Canada words....

And thanks for Mr. Doucette's name.  He could really belt that thing out, couldn't he.  Wonder how he would do with Maple Leaf Forever?

pronto said:
No No, OneWing.You are right! Each country has its own flag, and the UK has the union flag... Scotland has the St Andrew's Cross, England has St. George, Ireland has St. Patrick. Wales was left off because we hate the cross concept and went with a honking great griffin! (yay us). Put 'em all together and you get a union flag.

the Welsh are a strange and perverse race!  :warstory:
Yeah,but we just won the Six Nations Grand Slam!!
Go the Dragons!

CHIMO,  Kat

onewingwonder said:
Probably great. But I'm not about to dig him up to ask. ;D

Yes, there I go mixing my tenses again.  Speaking of tense, I suspect he would choke on the words, at least at the dress reheasal, but being the showman he was could probably get through it without retching.

Intelligere said:
Note to M. Dorosh:
I am every bit as agitated as John Galt about "our beautiful maple leaf flag".

PM Trinity, sounds like you need a padre to me.

quote]Speaking of tense, I suspect he would choke on the words, at least at the dress reheasal, but being the showman he was could probably get through it without retching.
Actually, my understanding was that he was a heavy-duty Federalist.

Quote from 2CDO,
Also received your PM and would like to know if you received my reply as my computer was acting up earlier today.

...that would be my PM and no I did not recieve it, can't wait though.

...and as far as our flag and anthem, I love them both with every fibre of my body.  My life is the here and now, not lamenting for some long-lost "glory", what can I say?

Quote from 2CDO,

Once again , more PC nonsense. The fact of the matter is that the British and the French settled Canada, took it by force from the natives and then the British defeated the French. Other cultures came to Canada AFTER the fact in order to do better for themselves than their old country could offer.
Revisionist history is becoming more prevalent in society and seems to be creeping onto this forum. History is history and cannot be changed, regardless of peoples intentions.

......you got one thing right, history is history, society's who chose to live " in history" are probably going to be just that.
The world does spin........

pronto said:

the Welsh are a strange and perverse race!    :warstory:

where is the griffin on the union flag? how is that included?

if i am not mistaken isnt the griffin also a sign of Scotland? they have that one flag that has the griffin on it.
well anyway when i think of a griffin i think of Scotland.

Thought that the great, red beasty on the Welsh flag was a dragon? As to the Scots flag being referred to by Hutch, you probably mean the golden yellow one with the Lion Rampant on it. Represents the original Scottish Monarchy, which now "belongs" to QE2.

Unnh - if you read my post carefully, you will see I said Wales was left OFF the union flag.

The actual welsh flag has a dragon on it, and the welsh griffin, well, it is a symbol of guardianship of the Faithful,(half lion and half eagle), is an ancient symbol used by the Celtic peoples of Great Britain. Some say that the Red Dragon was originally a griffin on the standard of a Roman legion headquartered in North Wales, but early came to be associated with the fighting dragons imprisoned by Lludd and Llefelys.

Anyway - off topic, and probably boring the shyte outa the others.

-Hutch- said:
where is the griffin on the union flag? how is that included?

if i am not mistaken isnt the griffin also a sign of Scotland? they have that one flag that has the griffin on it.
well anyway when i think of a griffin i think of Scotland.

That would be the Rampant Lion of Scotland.  And no, the griffin is not on the Union flag, as was stated.

pronto said:
Unnh - if you read my post carefully, you will see I said Wales was left OFF the union flag.

The actual welsh flag has a dragon on it, and the welsh griffin, well, it is a symbol of guardianship of the Faithful,(half lion and half eagle), is an ancient symbol used by the Celtic peoples of Great Britain. Some say that the Red Dragon was originally a griffin on the standard of a Roman legion headquartered in North Wales, but early came to be associated with the fighting dragons imprisoned by Lludd and Llefelys.

Anyway - off topic, and probably boring the shyte outa the others.

The Griffin was also worn as a divisional inisignia by the Wessex Division in Normandy, wasn't it?   The Welsh Division had the letter "w".

43rd (Wessex) Division patch - http://britmods.freehosting.net/43divpat.jpg

53rd (Welsh) Division patch - http://britmods.freehosting.net/53.gif

Sorry dude 43 div was a dragon. the "Wessex Dragon" under which the English fought at Hastings.

:)

Aw crap - I have just been informed that the Wessex dragon was really a Wyvern. Apparently the diference is two legs versus four!  Who knew? :rage:

Back