• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MP in the Navy

George89

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Around 2 weeks ago I received word that I have an offer for me for a 5 year contract as a Military Police. The Captain at the recruiting center told me that I will be assigned to the Navy after training.

I thought that the MP's were a unified unit and went wherever needed. So being told Navy, I was a bit confused.

If I am in fact destined for the Navy, does anyone have any tips on what it is like more particularly for the MP trade. My basic training will be late April, so I don't even think I will be ready for duty for around a year. Does anyone have any idea why I was assigned a specific element (Navy).

Thank you

Eric

You have to have a Distinctive Environmental Uniform besides patrol blacks - just happens you got the Navy element.  It's just a uniform, doesn't mean you're going to either coast...yet.  I wouldn't get all wrapped around the axle about it - lots of non-Navy folks here on this Navy Base.

MM

Okay that makes sense. So when I am promoted to Corporal after training, I will technically be "Leading Seaman" no matter what base I'm on?

Also does that mean I get to wear the famous White dress uniform?

George89 said:
Okay that makes sense. So when I am promoted to Corporal after training, I will technically be "Leading Seaman" no matter what base I'm on?

Why not concentrate on just passing training first.

George89 said:

But in answer to your question, yes, you will be promoted to leading seaman and you will get a white uniform to wear - not that it's really practical for chasing bad guys over fences  ;D

Pusser said:
But in answer to your question, yes, you will be promoted to leading seaman and you will get a white uniform to wear - not that it's really practical for chasing bad guys over fences  ;D

Thank you !!

Will I always be under the ranking of the Navy? Or can that change at some point? Also..any pros/cons of Navy compared to the other elements?

Actually, MPs have their own back patrol dress, since apparently wearing the same functional clothes as any other CF trade harms their egos due to the lack of look-cool factor.

Also..any pros/cons of Navy compared to the other elements?

Yes this way everytime some PTE or OS calls you corparal... you can say "Do I look like a F***ing Corporal to you?"
Ussually gets some pretty funny looks on their faces.

dapaterson said:
Actually, MPs have their own back patrol dress, since apparently wearing the same functional clothes as any other CF trade harms their egos due to the lack of look-cool factor.

I was not expecting this from you, or did I miss a smiley somewhere? This is rather underwhelming, especially since very valid points have been made by others regarding this topic.

Yes, perhaps there should be a smiley  ::)

I am of the opinion that we now have mPs, where we really need Mps (or, better yet, a provost corps).

Many initiatives over the years have served to de-militarize the Military Police and covert them into police who happen to wear military uniforms, to the detriment of the CF.

dapaterson said:

Actually, I wear OPD because im ordered to wear OPD....not because it "looks cool" or strokes my ego and makes me "any better" than the rest of the forces......because believe me, it doesn't.  Personally, i'd much rather be wearing CADPAT but I do what i'm told......period.  So I wear black...big deal.  You seem to have a bigger issue with it than anyone I know..again speaking personally, it's just another uniform that I have to keep clean and iron, one I can do without.

On re-reading what I wrote, I should clarify (or possibly risk inserting my other foot into my mouth, but that's enver stopped me before).

My complaint is not with the MPs doing their job; it is with the senior leadership of the MPs that have shifted focus and, to my mind, lost focus on what an MP capability should be delivering to the CF.  The MP patrol dress (demanded by that senior leadership) is a symptom of that mindset.

There is always going to be a tension between the M and P in the MP branch; to my mind, though, the emphasis on P is providing a capability to patrol the PMQ patch, at the expense of the M support capability needed.

understood DAP but I have to disagree with the P providing capability to patrol the PMQ patch as they sure don't patrol our patch too often.  Maybe between the Tmmies down the road and the office they forget to swing through the Q's? ;D

Thanks for all the info guy's.

Went a bit off topic but, interesting to read nonetheless.

Being a MP with a NAVY element, and being "Leading Seaman" instead of Corporal, is there any fallbacks or disadvantages that can have on you? Are there things you cannot do that a "Corporal" MP can? Other than possible jokes...

Actually as a LS you will be able to look down your nose at army and air force types and remind them that you are in the senior service and they are not. ;D

George89 said:
Being a MP with a NAVY element, and being "Leading Seaman" instead of Corporal, is there any fallbacks or disadvantages that can have on you? Are there things you cannot do that a "Corporal" MP can? Other than possible jokes...

George, there are no advantages or disadvantages.  As a Navy Leading Seaman, you may find yourself in a field platoon, or an air force base.........it doesn't matter.  Nor does it matter that your a Leading Seaman and the other guy is a Corporal, your still the same rank.  You'll be doing the same thing as the other guy......don't get wrapped around your rank sounding "different" than everyone else.  Believe me, nobody cares.

just me... said:
George, there are no advantages or disadvantages.  As a Navy Leading Seaman, you may find yourself in a field platoon, or an air force base.........it doesn't matter.  Nor does it matter that your a Leading Seaman and the other guy is a Corporal, your still the same rank.  You'll be doing the same thing as the other guy......don't get wrapped around your rank sounding "different" than everyone else.  Believe me, nobody cares.

Thanks for the information. Appreciated.

Back