• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MP in the Navy

sledge said:
Actually as a LS you will be able to look down your nose at army and air force types and remind them that you are in the senior service and they are not. ;D

Funny thing.  My Regiment and its sister Regiment in the Infantry, celebrated their 100th Anniversary's in 1983.  If you are the senior service, why are you only turning 100 in the past year?  Someone's math is off.

Mtl432 said:
Yes this way everytime some PTE or OS calls you corparal... you can say "Do I look like a F***ing Corporal to you?"
Ussually gets some pretty funny looks on their faces.

Uh.....this where that same Pte or OS probably graduated from the same BMQ as the LS MP a week ago?  haha

The Navy rank slip-ons worn by all three elements of MPs in patrol dress doesn't help with figuring out the proper rank differentiation either (for badged members on duty obviously).

Edited for clarity

GW, the military inherited its traditions from the UK. hence the navy is the senior service.

George Wallace said:
Funny thing.  My Regiment and its sister Regiment in the Infantry, celebrated their 100th Anniversary's in 1983.  If you are the senior service, why are you only turning 100 in the past year?  Someone's math is off.

The Navy has always been the senior service - says so in A-AD-200-000/AG-00 (The Honours Flag and Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces).  It's also important to note that the Navy claims seniority on behalf of the service, while the Army claims it by individual unit.

However, to "show the math," understand that the formation of the Navy in service to the monarch dates back to the 14th Century.  The formation of a standing army (what we would now call the Regular Force) only dates to the 18th Century.  Prior to that, army units were largely privately raised and usually only for specific campaigns, after which they were disbanded.  Although much has been made of the establishment of an independent Canadian Naval Service in 1910, it really wasn't that independent.  The Admiralty was still in charge of many aspects and considered the fledgling RCN merely an adjunct of a larger Imperial Navy (one of the reasons a proposal for a Canadian naval ensign was refused at that time).  In fact the Navel Service Act specifically passed direct control of the RCN to the RN under certain circumstances.  As a result of all this, the Navy claims a heritage going back at least 700 years.  That trumps the Army by quite a bit.

George Wallace said:

Also regiment's are individual military units, not an organized 'service' in the traditional sense per se.

(Pusser beat me to the punch, also his explanation is much more detailed)

Snakedoc said:
The Navy rank slip-ons worn by all three elements of MPs in patrol dress doesn't help with figuring out the proper rank differentiation either (for badged members on duty obviously).
Edited for clarity

That's why I look at their name tag before addressing them - like the combat nametags, there's an elemental indicator on it.

MM

Pusser said:
.......  As a result of all this, the Navy claims a heritage going back at least 700 years.  That trumps the Army by quite a bit.

It is so kool that the Canadian Navy predates the discovery of the Americas.  >:D

I guess we can forget about the Crusades.

George Wallace said:
It is so kool that the Canadian Navy predates the discovery of the Americas.  >:D

I guess we can forget about the Crusades.

I just looked it up and I seem to have made a small mistake.  The Navy can only trace its direct lineage back to the 16th Century (what's 300 years between friends?).  Nevertheless that's still two centuries ahead of the Army.  Today's Army cannot trace its lineage back to the Crusades.  As I said before, prior to the 18th Century, there was no standing army.  Units were raised privately and for specific campaigns, not for permanent service.

Dolphin 35

Back