• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Missing Titanic Sub

Okay, who the fuck allowed a commercial entity to provide this service?

Well it is the high seas so they don't need anybody's permission just a bunch of idiots with death wishes and lots of money.

If not commercial, for-profit money, then public money - and I think we can all agree that public money has no place in this type of activity. A lot of space activity is going that way as well.

I read today at those depths recovery isn't even possible.

I believe I read somewhere about another incident where another submarine was able to attach some type of line to it and surface craft were able to pull it to the surface. But, I'm sure there are a ton of difficulties involved.

Know nothing about hunting subs other than what I saw on Hunt for Red October.

But questions here

I see the US Coast Guard is searching , do they have sonar for sun hunting?

Second line of thought would this not be a good navy exercise to have their sub hunters out there looking or are these robot type subs too small to show up on sonar?

Last question if you had $300 000 to spend and no guilt would you buy a ticket on a mini sun to see a sunken ship? Not like you get to see it with your eyes , just video screens is my guess , windows would pop at the depth.

Just curious

I believe I read somewhere about another incident where another submarine was able to attach some type of line to it and surface craft were able to pull it to the surface. But, I'm sure there are a ton of difficulties involved.

It sounds like Apollo 13 would be an easier, and safer, rescue situation:

'Tiny sub, big ocean': Why the Titanic submersible search is so challenging​

David Marquet, a retired U.S. Navy submarine captain, says there are many factors that make this search and rescue mission particularly challenging: It's a "tiny sub, big ocean and extremely deep water and several hundred miles away from the coast."

"It's basically imagining a spacecraft disappeared on the far side of the moon," he says. "A, you have to find it. B, you have to get to it. Even when you get to it ... you still need to somehow get the people out of there to safety."

The way to do that, he says, is to tow the submersible — whose hatch is bolted from the outside — back to the surface where a team can open it up.

Marquet says that's theoretically possible, but the odds are low. Whatever it is that happened to the Titan, he puts the chances of its passengers' survival at "about 1 percent."

"I'm hopeful, but I think the families should prepare themselves for bad news," he says.

That was the Pices III incident from 1500'

Okay, who the fuck allowed a commercial entity to provide this service?

Well it is the high seas so they don't need anybody's permission just a bunch of idiots with death wishes and lots of money.
This sort of adventure tourism has been slowly expanding. I suspect this is the incident that is going to force the creation of some sort of industry standard for sub tourism. There has been a lot of it in shallow waters using larger tourist subs built here in BC for decades. the big question will who is responsible for the accident investigation.

International waters, so country of registration? 🤷🏻‍♂️

This sort of adventure tourism has been slowly expanding. I suspect this is the incident that is going to force the creation of some sort of industry standard for sub tourism. There has been a lot of it in shallow waters using larger tourist subs built here in BC for decades. the big question will who is responsible for the accident investigation.

There are alot of parallels with the Everest Adventure Tourism market.

I like the term 'Ego-Tourism' ;)

Ego-tourism and Mt. Everest: The hidden costs of the highest climb​

Anyone can try to climb Mt. Everest. That's the beauty of the goal — and one of the problems​

Why do I get the feeling that in that conversation .Nobody has mentioned rescue once.

Why do I get the feeling that in that conversation .Nobody has mentioned rescue once.
I suspect the dive tender has no backup sub or rescue capable ROV and they lost the signal early on, so have a huge search area and likley no other sub/ROV can get there in time to start the search.

I suspect the dive tender has no backup sub or rescue capable ROV and they lost the signal early on, so have a huge search area and likley no other sub/ROV can get there in time to start the search.
Based on the BBC reporting last night the USCG is being joined by CCG, RCN and USN craft as well as RCAF and USAF assets.

There are capabilities in Virginia that could affect a rescue at most of the potential depths- if the submersible is located.

The PAX are probably dead from the cold now.
There are a lot of potential outcomes.
Based on the reports the Tender/Mother Ship lost contact 1.5hrs into the start of the dive.

Assumptions being if it was just a comms issue the craft would have resurfaced and affected a repair - so it’s likely a larger issue.

The search box isn’t incredibly large - but does get larger the longer it is missing

There are a lot of potential outcomes.
Based on the reports the Tender/Mother Ship lost contact 1.5hrs into the start of the dive.

Assumptions being if it was just a comms issue the craft would have resurfaced and affected a repair - so it’s likely a larger issue.

The search box isn’t incredibly large - but does get larger the longer it is missing

This guy almost didn't come back from the same dive in 2000, apparently:

Man Recalls Sub Getting Stuck Under Titanic’s Stern During 2000 Dive​

A former ABC News correspondent has said he nearly died while touring the Titanic wreckage in 2000 when his submersible got sucked under the ship’s stern.

Michael Guillen on Tuesday shared a video clip from his trip on Twitter while recalling how the accident “almost claimed my life.”

In the video shot for ABC News, Guillen says a strong underwater current pushed their vessel up to the ship’s propellers along the seafloor. When they tried to back out, they found themselves stuck beneath the stern.

Guillen also recalled the harrowing incident in his 2021 book, “Believing Is Seeing,” according to the Daily Mail.

In his book, he said his vessel slammed into the ship and it took them 30 minutes to break free.

“I felt the shock of the collision: rusty debris showered down on our submersible, obscuring my view through the porthole,” he wrote.

Just when he thought they would never escape, the watercraft broke free after extensive “forward and backward” rocking by the team.

That was the Pices III incident from 1500'

Pisces III was a Canadian submersible. Involved in the 1973 rescue was CCGS John Cabot (a cable ship that was docked in Swansea at the time) from which the US Navy's rescue submersible (CURV) was launched. According to my brother (who was serving on Cabot at the time) it was quite the intricate operation.

Back