• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

yeah I want to join the army but I have terrible grades and im gonna probably end up in adult school can this effect my chance of joinning the army once im done with adult school?

Do well in adult school and apply for the CF. You'll find out if you're good enough if you pass the CFAT...

We need warriors, NOT nerds.  They look at a well rounded person, you will be doing a lot more than studying at RMC, and if you can't cope with everything, you will have a lot of trouble.  Don't let anybody say your marks are not good enough, I got in with 65% average. That was 5 years ago, mabye things have changed since then... It depends also what program you want to study there, and what amount of work you will put into it... I know engineering students who barely pass their tests, and history students who work a lot more than them to only get 80% average, so it all depends of you motivation...Remember that the passing grade at RMC is actually 50%, it's really a joke, and if you fail, mabye you should find another job! They will look at all your grades, so don't worry, if you actually put the effort to get a higher average, in their minds, that equals MOTIVATION! And RMC needs all the motivation it can get, trust me!!!Nonetheless, I wish you GOOD LUCK with everything!!

cheers 

Its true that grades aren't everything. During my time at charm school I had a good chat with one of the members of the selection committee and he said they look at everything including the usuals like grades, leadership potential and extracurriculars. What surprised me was that a weighting was used depending on what province the applicant was from (IE a 90% in Math from Ont is given more/less weight than a 90% from say, Nova Scotia). This weighting was based on historical failure rates and provincial averages. Furthermore the selection board tries to maintain a relatively good spread of cadets thats in line with Canadian demographics. This isn't a quota system per se, just that they try to maintain a 30% from X province, 10% from Y province type of spread. There are no hard-caps. The percentage of applications received from each province tended to fall within these boundries naturally anyway. Finally they try and maintain a "good" ratio of men/women. Due to the numbers involved, this was like a 3:1 ratio (when I attended). Given the far lower amount of women that sign up for the program, it stands to reason that all other things being equal (in leadership potential and extracurriculars) someone with a 65% average would get in.

All this information is dated (lets say, circa 2000), and I'm sure they've refined their entrance criteria and selection process since then but should give you an idea of what they are looking for. If you are a visible minority women from BC with good grades and leadership potential you are in for sure. Not to mention you will be on all the recruiting posters for the next 10 years :)

Also feeverte, the place must have really changed since my time if your average history student is working harder than the engineers  ;)

Im kind of in the same boat as you. Due to lack of motivation, laziness, and not caring my marks have suffered. Im just about to finish grade 12 and will hopefully be sitting at a 77%ish, but my math mark bombs. I'm going to do summer school math hopefully to crank 'er up, attend a community college, and join the militia, then apply for RMC in Januraryish of 08, or around then.

I'm 19 years old and I'm interested in becoming an imagery tech... would this be difficult to do with just a GED and limited work experience?

hexa said:
I'm 19 years old and I'm interested in becoming an imagery tech... would this be difficult to do with just a GED and limited work experience?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

In addition to the invaluable information provided by the venerable CDN Aviator I would like to add this important bit of advice:

You want to be an Imagery Technician which is a highly sought after job by applicants and usually does not have a lot of open positions each year.  So what do you think your chances are when competing for a position against applicants with higher education and experience? A GED doesn't cut it for most trades and if you are applying at a recruiting centre that has a heavy processing load you may not even make past the initial screening.  Perhaps a trade with more openings such as combat arms may be more suitable then you can build experience and vastly improve your educational level.  Good Luck.

I hate to ask another question but I have searched about this one and I doubt it's that common an answer.

I DO realize I need Bio and one of Chem/Physics for Med Tech.
I DO realize I need those because they're a requirement for the PCP training in BC.
I DO realize that if I have some kind of higher-reaching academic/medical training they'll let me by without the credits.

What I don't know is if there is some where in the CF or not where I could sit a test and be granted an equivalency if I don't have the test or higher education?

I'm not concerned about the credit itself, but rather the time commitment. I honestly believe that with my current level of knowledge about Biology and Chemistry that I could pass equivalency tests for them, but I'm not aware of anywhere that would run such a test or whether the CF/JCIB would accept it.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

dustinm said:
I hate to ask another question but I have searched about this one and I doubt it's that common an answer.

I DO realize I need Bio and one of Chem/Physics for Med Tech.
I DO realize I need those because they're a requirement for the PCP training in BC.
I DO realize that if I have some kind of higher-reaching academic/medical training they'll let me by without the credits.

What I don't know is if there is some where in the CF or not where I could sit a test and be granted an equivalency if I don't have the test or higher education?

I'm not concerned about the credit itself, but rather the time commitment. I honestly believe that with my current level of knowledge about Biology and Chemistry that I could pass equivalency tests for them, but I'm not aware of anywhere that would run such a test or whether the CF/JCIB would accept it.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Uh...NO. Not in the CF, and NONE for the CF/JIBC unless already stated that you've got a Degree in Bio/Chem or Microbi or Org Chem or something something... nothing? Get your time commitment and do your credits.

Well... hold on... ask your local school board if they offer "challenge" exams which allow you to challenge the course you want to in highschool level. But you've gotta have read the material, done the course to do that. Oh well...

Well... hold on... ask your local school board if they offer "challenge" exams which allow you to challenge the course you want to in highschool level. But you've gotta have read the material, done the course to do that. Oh well...

I know that you can challenge a provincial exam in BC without taking the course, however I don't know if it will translate into what you are looking for [if it's accepted as a pre requisite or not].
Best bet is to call the recruiters..and a school...

deej96 said:
I know that you can challenge a provincial exam in BC without taking the course, however I don't know if it will translate into what you are looking for [if it's accepted as a pre requisite or not].
Best bet is to call the recruiters..and a school...

I see.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Most provinces offer HS courses by correspondence.  If you take the credit that way, you can probably breeze through the course work without having to spend hours in a classroom (if as you say, you already know the material).  That could be a route if the challenge exam doesn't pan out.

You need the Grade 12 credits (as opposed to grade 11) or grade 12 equivalency (the ACE program offered by Ontario Community colleges).  I got this straight from CFRC Toronto (as currently I need to upgrade in order to continue my CT). 

I agree, courses by correspondance is a good option for you, they offer them in Quebec, but I don't know for Ontario.
You might even be able to take them as fast as you want and do the exam very soon...

the_girlfirend said:
I agree, courses by correspondance is a good option for you, they offer them in Quebec, but I don't know for Ontario.
You might even be able to take them as fast as you want and do the exam very soon...

for ontario www.ilc.org

Hatchet Man said:
for ontario www.ilc.org

Thanks.

My best bet looks like going in as another trade for my first BE and then trying to remuster in 3 years after getting the prereqs out of the way and all that jazz.

Back