• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

Finish High School.

If you decide to leave the military, then what? you don't have anything.
Finish school, it's only 2 years

lol its 7-1 because of one reason.....when he had first posted the poll it showed up as:
Grade 10
grade 10

one was capatalized other wasnt, I voted at random then the poll was somehow changed.....voting again with what poll is currently at Id say stay in school,grade is becoming, if its not already, the bare minimum in society today. Try and apply for almost any job, even minimum wage jobs ( unless still in school, ie: 15-18 etc ) such as mcpukes etc and they want at least highschool.

As a recruiter, I'd have to say finish school.  You only require to have 15 credits (Prov of Ont), however if you're looking to go Reg force, CFRC is looking for grade 12.  Even the infantry is a competitive trade (not intended as a slight to the "Queens of the battlefield").  The more education you have, the more competitive you'll be.  As a turned around "Young, know everything punk" I would also have to say.  With out a highschool education, you'll get no where on civie street either.  My advice.  complete the 15 credits, join a reserve unit, get some crses and experience, finish highschool (maybe even college) and then go reg if that's your plan.  Always have a back up plan.  The military is not a job for everyone.  Saying that though, if you do feel it's for you, it can be the most rewarding job/career any one can ever have.

Heres what you should do, join the reserves when you are 16, and finish school by the time you are done school you should have been in the reserves long enough to see if you want to do that for a career

umm yeah i am 16 turning 17 in july  i am going to be done in the year 2006 but i was wondering do i need any special classes to get in or any hig level of grads? I wanted to become a Weapon Tech-land!an i also wanted to know how much does this cousre cost??

shawnzy said:
umm yeah i am 16 turning 17 in july  i am going to be done in the year 2006 but i was wondering do i need any special classes to get in or any hig level of grads? I wanted to become a Weapon Tech-land!an i also wanted to know how much does this cousre cost??

You will find a few threads about the Wpn Tech land trade in the Trades FAQ - http://army.ca/forums/threads/17703.0.html

The Recruiting FAQ covers education requirements and the Recruiting process. Also you may want to review the threads on the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (compare discussion on that topic to the requirements and expectation of the trade you're considering to have a better understanding of where you should focus on doing well in school) - http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101/post-77933.html#msg77933

You may also wish to review the Wpn Tech Land info in the CF Recruiting Site, select it from the NCM trade selector at http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/army/jobs_e.aspx

The training won't cost you anything. Once you are enrolled, the Army will be paying you while you train.

Finish high school!  If you get injured or quit or get fired from the army at least secondary school will be available to you to pursue another career.  You never lose with education.

I don't know if this was the website you had but if you click on "High School Path" on the left side, it gives you some recomended(sp?) courses in each year of highschool to join the army.  You can also get recomended courses for all kinds of other careers.

http://www.ilc.org/cfmx/CM/Careers/cm_career.cfm?career_id=605

Quote,
Members who are not educated are not as useful to the Canadian Forces (Res or Reg F)

A little condensending, no?  I did and I'm doing just fine with my 11 Ontario credits, thank you very much.
Try thinking outside the box a little and stop equating education with "smarts" because I will take the "smarts" everytime.

....and come to think of it, could you please show me some examples of how you think this statement may be true.

2Lt_Burgie said:
My statement was not unintended to offend nor insult anyone who has made the CF a career without completing High School.

My statement was drawn from the fact that the Reg F currently only accepts Gr. 12, and that it is beneficial for people to finish their High School Diploma.

They accept gr 10.  However to make one self competitive, they advise someone to have grade 12.

2Lt_Burgie said:
My statement was not unintended to offend nor insult anyone who has made the CF a career without completing High School.

My statement was drawn from the fact that the Reg F currently only accepts Gr. 12, and that it is beneficial for people to finish their High School Diploma.

Your statement, regardless of what you meant is rather insulting.  BTW, in ref to your profile, you are NOT a R081.............you are a R81 ( i look on the dnd web site to be sure)..............if you were a R081 that would make you a reserve airborne electronic sensor operator of which i'm sure you are not.

Best thing is to read up on the Recruiting website: recruiting.forces.gc.ca

Eligability requirements are here:
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/howtojoin/eligibility_e.aspx

Also, speak to the recruiter in your area CFRC office.

Good Luck!

Some MOC's also dictate that you must take, sertain high school courses. I plan to become a med tech 737, but you require biology 30, and another 30 level science course (Chem, or phys). So now my file is on hold, until may, because, I need to upgrad my chemistry.

What i think he wants to know is if he failed grade  10 math and is back a year in that course but is still a grade 11 with 15 credits  in other courses can he join, id like to know to. (Sorry if it sounds confusing but its hard to describe.

This is something that will/is  effect(ing) me.  I'm actually pretty smart and did quite well up to Gr. 9.  I finished Gr. 9 and started Gr. 10 but had still had no idea what I was going to do after school.  I had no motivation to do good in school and complete the work.  I ended up getting quite bored and fed up with school so I just stopped going.  That's was when I started considering the Army. 

I had always been interested in military stuff. I was out of school, not knowing what to do with myself and I naturally started thinking about the military.  The more info I read (alot from this fine site :D) the more I wanted to join up.  Before that all I had heard about the Canadian Army was people making fun of them on tv.  I realised that the Army wasn't a joke and has done and is doing some incredible things for people around the world, and I want to be are part of it.  I found out that I needed atleast Gr. 10 to join.  So through a combination of night school, summer school and correspondence courses I only need two more credits to finish Gr. 10.

I probably will end up joining without graduating highschool.  Graduating highschool or getting the GED is something I would like to do later on.  Even if I make an entire career out of the Army it's still something I'd like to have in order to fall back or just to be a good example for any kids I may have.

Someone mentioned that recruiters are looking for highschool even for infantry (the trade I hope to get into).  Hopefully a good score on the CFAT (like I said above I'm actually pretty smart) and them seeing that regular school wasn't my thing but I was still determined and worked hard to finish atleast Gr.10 when other people would've just dropped out completely will make up for that.  Hopefully :)  :salute:

Why dont you just finish highschool? Why does everyone think they need to join at 18 or as soon as possible or their chance is wasted?

Honestly, finishing your highschool is the best thing you can do for yourself right now.  The military will still be here in 2years and if you want in then it leaves you in a lot better position and as was previously stated it leaves you with a backup plan in the event that you decide the military isn't for you.  I know that it is one of the first things a lot of employers will look at before anything else and why would you want to limit your options.

Back