• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Technician ( MARTECH )

I m fully grateful for all member of this site for your help and clue that i got from here once again thanks so much,

dapaterson said:
82776011_0_640x640.jpg

you forgot about the lash...

Hey everyone. I'm currently serving as a combat engineer in the army, but I'm looking at putting in an OT for Marine Technician. I'd love to pick the brains of some mar techs and ask a few questions. I know the BPSO is a good place for info, but I'd rather ask people who are in the trade and knowledgeable about it. I went to a BPSO open house a few months ago here in Gagetown, but I honestly didn't find the officer overly informative. He was Navy (not mar tech) so I figured he would know lots. Unfortunately, that wasn't really the case. Nobody can know everything, of course. I have a pile of questions about the trade and I figured who better to ask than members of trade and those who work alongside them on the ships! So, without further ado.....

How long does your initial training take? The forces site just says "several months."

I understand that mar tech is an amalgamation of a bunch of previous trades. Does your initial training cover the basics of all the old legacy trades (mar eng, hull, electrical, etc).? Afterwards, do you move on to specialize in an OSS, based on one of the old legacy trades? How does this work and at what point do you begin to receive spec pay?

I hold a current combat diver qualification with the engineers. I'm told that having that qual will make me basically a write off for ships team diver. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Obviously there would need to be some cross training in order to get me up to par with the unique things that they do, but I'm told that I wouldn't have to do the actual dive course. I love diving and that's something I'd like to continue doing if I move on to the Navy. Also, would I still keep the same level of dive pay? I'm currently level 2 and will be level 3 in January. Would I keep this or have to start back at level 1? I'm also curious about sea pay. I currently receive level 2 land duty allowance and I'm well on my way to level 3. Would I receive the same level of sea pay once I'm qualified in my trade and posted to a ship?

I'd like to know a little more about boarding parties as well. I'm told that they like ex-combat arms guys, for obvious reasons. I'm also told it's harder to get on a boarding party with certain trades. Is it common or even possible for marine techs to be on boarding parties?

I only have a GED, which doesn't make the cut for this trade. I'm finishing up an academic grade 10 math course right now in order to rectify that. I'll be done long before the VOT process opens up in July. Still, that only puts me at the minimum education requirements. If I have time, I'm going to try to complete a physics course as well, which is considered and asset. Is the trade in high demand and will these credentials put me in a good, competitive position where I can reasonably expect to be accepted? 

Last but not least, can someone who has OT'd before and relocated tell me a bit about how that works? I'm currently single and living in a PMQ. Would I be able to retain my PMQ while I'm away in Esquimalt, or do they expect you to vacate? I'd be happy to be posted to either Esquimalt or Halifax, but I'd prefer Halifax. Is it difficult to get a posting preference usually?

I apologize for the bombardment of questions and thank any in advance who can provide some insight. If anything I'm asking is not fit to be discussed on a public forum, please disregard and feel free to inbox me.

Thanks!

feetfirstintoheck said:
I'd like to know a little more about boarding parties as well.

All Things Naval Boarding Party (training, badges, etc. - merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/16991.175.html

That is a shit load of questions.  I'll PM you, feet first.

jollyjacktar said:
That is a crap load of questions.  I'll PM you, feet first.
Hey jolly, I'm hoping you could post some of the answers in here. I have primarily the same questions and would like to know the answers to them.
Thanks.

I have heard rumours that MarTech won't be a trade that ex service members will be able to challenge a red seal after their service. Can anyone confirm this?

Cwes said:
I have heard rumours that MarTech won't be a trade that ex service members will be able to challenge a red seal after their service. Can anyone confirm this?

Like anything credit will be given towards the civilian qualification. Equivalencies still need to be worked out.

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/sources/pdfs/forms/military_trades.pdf

The old Marine Engineering Technician QL5 used to qualify for your Millwright and Machinist Red
Seal tickets. Would be disappointing to see this lost...

With the watering down of training standards that is coming, that will be worth less as legacy tradesmen depart and new MarTech become the norm.

Inspir said:
https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/sources/pdfs/forms/military_trades.pdf

The old Marine Engineering Technician QL5 used to qualify for your Millwright and Machinist Red
Seal tickets. Would be disappointing to see this lost...

For the time being the QL5 is still going on until the new coursing is in place. It is possible that a direct equivalency won't be possible although the intent is to move towards DOT standards in relation to Marine Engineering tickets.

I am currently a 4th year steel fabricator applying for martech i failed to pass my inter-provincial exam to receive my red seal does anyone know if this will affect my application. i also have lots of experience in welding and as a millwright.

hicks22 said:
Most of the stokers are fine with it.. I mean nothing’s changed for them. They might get landed for a helo crash course or to learn welding. Nothing to be upset about.
You’ve got a MS HT whose now section base 3 IC the senior fire fighter, hull shop master and reports to OD stoker on his off time  :rofl: i’d want to be a bosn too.
Been a while...I know
Actually, I find there are two groups seeming to be adamantly against it and they are NOT HTechs!!! One rank group of MS and another at the PO1 level. The HTs seem to have accepted it in a form of self resignation. Many of us did not agree on the implementation nor reasoning and many left because of it (I was 2 years short of my 35) That said, my speech to the trades was then (as it is now):"You can either be part of the process or get mowed over by it and left behind" I look at the guys who fought the WEng amalgamation and they are now the LS and MS. The ones who become part of it and took an active role in doing the best they could under the circumstances are now the leadership of that trade. I guess it is bound to be different for everyone. The sad thing on this was that those against it fought our first Mar Tech Mess Dinner last spring.
As for the stokers not having to do much different. Walk a mile in someone's shoes before you criticize. Where I work in the school in Halifax now, I see near daily struggles with all three legacy trades trying to grasp new knowledge but I also see many successes as well-Again, to each their own. For those reading this and not being part of the group accepting this, please don't take it out on your peers in the form of boycotting this fall's dinner-Emails and messages should start coming out soon.

Hi guys and girls,

I'm just looking to get a little info on the Mar Tech trade, and the training in either Esquimalt or Halifax.

Just a little background on myself for reference here. I had spent just shy of 10 years in the Army reserves as a Sig Op releasing in 2013. No foul reason, I simply thought it was time to move on. I loved it.... and now really miss it. I started as soon as I could when I was 16 and right now I regret not sticking with it.

My application is in and I've passed the fitness test, as well the tsd-pi is scheduled for a few days from now.

Near the end of my time as a Sig op I attained my Red Seal as a machinist, and am now 3 years into my millwright apprenticeship. As well, in the meantime, I will be back in college shortly for a 5th class power engineering course (I think some provinces refer to this as "stationary engineering", and intend to continue until I have my 4th class. Through all this I've stuck with the same company that specializes in Gas turbine overhaul (even LM1600 which isn't the LM 2500 the navy uses but similar), which is where I've had both my apprenticeships so far. I used to machine everything from tooling to the production work on gas turbine engines and the obvious bench work that comes along with it from cold working to heli-coils or just simple chasing threads. Now my days are all over the place. I could be machining pillow block bearings on a test stand for engines, diagnosing a dyno, doing regular maintenance and oil changes on machines, troubleshooting air make up units (when it's -30 of course), running generators, and just generally fixing whatever comes along. Big variety.

I do have quite a bit of experience with a lot of different machines but these ships are very seriously drawing me in, especially the new Harry Dewolf class arctic patrol vessels. Well that, and the fact that they will be heading north, which has been a goal of mine to see. I feel real strongly about getting back into the forces in a trade using my skills, but that obviously is up to me to make happen through the re-enlistment.

Anyways, what I'm looking to find out is more info in regards to;
-Routine tasks for the Nav Res Mar Tech's while at home units (for me it would be HMCS Chippawa)
-Routine tasks for the Nav Res Mar Tech's while on ships
-typical machine breakdowns on ships
-what machines are you usually working on?
-working conditions on the current ships (safety wise, I have a family)

I included some of my experience (not to inflate my ego, that's not my style) just to ask how relevant my background is to this trade...? I've seen this trade crosses over to Millwright/Machinist in the civilian world, (the apprenticeship branch of Manitoba even recognizes it and allows you to challenge with specific Mar tech qualifications completed) but that and the brief bits of info from the CAF website doesn't truly paint a picture of what I imagine the job is. I'm a country boy from the prairies, and will obviously have to learn to be a sailor.

Also, I like a good Mechanical challenge. Are the reserve Mar Techs usually kept away from troubleshooting and repairs or does it more so depend on the person involved?

I never thought I'd miss being in the forces this much, but...it's just been eating away at me more and more until I finally caved and sent in the application just after the 5 year released point. My fingers are crossed I get (back in at all, obviously) my BMQ waived, ha ha.

Thanks for the help

It'd be great to hear from the Reg force side of it too, whether you know what the reservists are doing while training and working on ships...

Just to clarify. Really any info on the technical job would be awesome.

Thank you!

[quote author=SigMar]
Anyways, what I'm looking to find out is more info in regards to;
-Routine tasks for the Nav Res Mar Tech's while at home units (for me it would be HMCS Chippawa)[/quote]

You fix what the Bosuns break (small boats)

-Routine tasks for the Nav Res Mar Tech's while on ships

You push buttons in the MCR and do rounds. Don't forget your drawings.

-typical machine breakdowns on ships
-what machines are you usually working on? 

You fix what the NWO and Bosuns broke.

-working conditions on the current ships (safety wise, I have a family)

Thank you.

I'm assuming by pushing buttons you mean it's an "operator" role to run a PLC in an engine control room?

Sounds like the Bosn's are hard on stuff, lol. I like it.

If anyone else has some info too that'd be awesome. Thanks.

Just because you asked, safety wise it is a joke.

When I was there a few years ago no one did any sort of lockouts, large unguarded shafts, tons of places to get injured or killed (and I am amazed no one has had the second one happen to them yet), lack of proper tools and equipment (never even heard of a comealong there, used ratchet straps instead), lack of proper rigging, etc. Unless there has been some massive change (which I doubt) it is not a safe environment.

Honestly I am doing a millwright apprenticeship at the moment, and looking back in my time as a Stoker, I can tell you its a joke. I learned more about what not to do from the Navy than what to do. From the sounds of it you are doing much more interesting work where you are, and you will likely feel more rewarded doing what you are doing currently. Nothing like not having the parts or tools needed to actually fix something to make you hate your job.

Back