• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M113 Fire Support?

Tango24B

Inactive
Reaction score
I recall reading in Janes Defence about a Canadian M113A2 fitted with a Delco 25 mm turret for trials.

Does anyone have any information or images about this trial vehicle?

Tango24B said:
I recall reading in Janes Defence about a Canadian M113A2 fitted with a Delco 25 mm turret for trials.

That might have made a wonderful follow on to to the old Cougar for the Militia .A lot of our people had either  M113  or Lynx experience .
And you could teach them the joys of track maintenance

Quite possible, the Aussies had Saladin turrets installed on thiers.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

I'll Take 10 now and 9 more in 2 years, sooner if it means I don't have to be Recce any more.

Australia also used the Cadillac Gage T50 turret, and the turret from the FV101 Scorpion light tank. They also had/have the M113AS4 - upgraded to the same standard as the AS3 (new engine, drive train and brakes), lengthened to fit an additional road wheel station and fitted with a new Tenix Defence designed one-man turret with a heavy machine gun.

Tango24B said:

I drove a M113 in 1986 at Gagetown that was fitted with a 25mm gun.  We also had one with another gun, I think it was a 30mm Raden as it used a clip.  Drove it 2 days to the ranges and back.  I was also a #2 on the 120mm Mortar and raced around in a M113 modified to tow the Brandt 120mm.  I also was crew on the first TUA and the first M150 Cdn TOW with a Thermal SIght.  I had great fun seconded to LFTEU way back when Patricia's were men and Alberta beef on the Wainwright range was scared!!!!

There were two variants built as engineering and test platforms. I can't remember how many of each type were built but one had the same turret that the Coyote/LAV III family have. The second had a modified FOX armoured car turret. It looked very much like the 30 or so FV 432's that the British Berlin Brigade had. One mounted the 25mm Chain gun and the other had the 30mm Rarden Cannon.

If memory serves there should be one floating around Borden at the Worthington Tank park Museum.  It was there in 91 or 92. They may have been returned to FMC or DEW Engineering.

Tango24B said:

Yes, if my memory serves me right, in the late 70's/early 80's Canada did trials of a M-113 Fire Support Vehicle variant that mounted either a Delco turret with 25mm gun or a 76 mm Scorpion turret. The powers-that-be decided that it wasn't viable and it was canceled. I'm pretty sure I saw pictures of the variant.

Again, based on vague recollections/conversations with a collegue around that time period.

Old and Tired said:
If memory serves there should be one floating around Borden at the Worthington Tank park Museum.  It was there in 91 or 92. They may have been returned to FMC or DEW Engineering.
Not in borden any more.

Thanks very much Fellas....I am glad that you could confirm its existance for me.

I'll post on the Armour page as well to see if any other details can be dug up.

It is interesting that this concept was trialed and cancelled. I suspect with so much reliance on the AVGP fleet and the move toward wheeled vehicles at that time that a tracked fire support vehicle wouldn't have been an option. I bet it with upgrades it would still have been of use in Afghanistan on a TLAV hull a couple of decades after it was first trialed.

I found this image on the internet...could this be one of the trial vehicles?

01300000016609119424795130588_s.jpg

And not to be left out are the Danes !
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/Lau_HC/M113A2_1stor.jpg

I think we need to stop talking about this before someone counting money sees the possible savings adds this as a competitor for the CCV project.  ;D

I would have taken a 25mm turret on the M113 over the RWS we had any day.

GnyHwy said:
I think we need to stop talking about this before someone counting money sees the possible savings adds this as a competitor for the CCV project.  ;D
Ssshhh... now you've planted the seed, we're screwed.

That is one of the Trials prototypes.  Picture the same hull with a CRT(W) Fox turret as the other.

Back