• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

looking for opinions about Heavy Equipment Operating in the C.Engineers

justintime519

Inactive
Reaction score
According to my local CFRC to become a Combat Engineer all you must have is your high school, other skills that are looked upon as being valuable in this trade were also Truck driving license, Boat operators certificate, heavy equipment operators certificate and the list goes on.  The skill I have but am not certified in is Heavy Equipment operator.  I can operate a variety of equipment, just not legally on a job site.  So here I am, patiently waiting for the trade of C.Engineer to open, while I wait I have decided to upgrade my credentials by going to my local Heavy Equipment Operator school and get proper certification so that I can become certified as well as come time to apply to the forces I can have merit in relation to having such certification.  I know that in the forces, specifically Combat engineers, they operate a variety of machines in the field, such as Backhoes, Excavators, Bulldozers etc.
To get to the point of my question, I'm wondering what the various opinions might be regarding what type of machine I should get specific training for? What would be the most valuable to the Canadian Forces? I would love to hear what you think rather then being told that its up to me bla, bla, bla.  I'm doing various research around this question and to find out what the common types of equipment being used are, I'm looking for individual opinions here from those who would know best, cheers.   
                                                                      :cheers:             

justintime519 said:
According to my local CFRC to become a Combat Engineer all you must have is your high school, other skills that are looked upon as being valuable in this trade were also Truck driving license, Boat operators certificate, heavy equipment operators certificate and the list goes on.  The skill I have but am not certified in is Heavy Equipment operator.  I can operate a variety of equipment, just not legally on a job site.  So here I am, patiently waiting for the trade of C.Engineer to open, while I wait I have decided to upgrade my credentials by going to my local Heavy Equipment Operator school and get proper certification so that I can become certified as well as come time to apply to the forces I can have merit in relation to having such certification.  I know that in the forces, specifically Combat engineers, they operate a variety of machines in the field, such as Backhoes, Excavators, Bulldozers etc.
To get to the point of my question, I'm wondering what the various opinions might be regarding what type of machine I should get specific training for? What would be the most valuable to the Canadian Forces? I would love to hear what you think rather then being told that its up to me bla, bla, bla.  I'm doing various research around this question and to find out what the common types of equipment being used are, I'm looking for individual opinions here from those who would know best, cheers.   
                                                                      :cheers:           

Your enthusiasm is encouraging, but if you are 100% committed to joining the CF as a Combat Engineer, i'd reconsider spending large sums of money formalizing your Heavy Eqpt quals. The fact is (someone chime in if things have changed lately), sadly, most civilian quals are not directly transferrable to the CF, especially when it comes to vehicles and equipment. However, your experience will make you much more likely to be selected for the Heavy Equipment Course. In a nutshell, if your concern is having a Heavy Equipment "Ticket" prior to enrollment, don't sweat it, as you will mostl likely find yourself sitting in the same lessons down the road if you are selected to become an Equipment Operator :)

Ever though of the MSE Op trade? We also do Heavy Equipment too. Loads of fun. And we play with a few more toys "road wise" compare to the Combat Engineers.

Best Luck on whatever you choose,
As long as your in the CF,
Regards,
TN2IC

My idea on getting the the training for Heavy Equipment Operator is for various reasons, not just to hopefully become eligible to be an Equipment operator in the CF.  As of now I'm unemployed and am trying to upgrade my skills, in a perfect world the day after I was laid off from my last job would have been my first day starting in the CF, that was back in June so I have a bit of a wait until I do become able to start in the forces and even when April comes and I do submit my application I'm sure it will be a bit of a wait until I start my BMQC so I will have to find employment until then.  So I must arm myself with credentials, both to work in the civi world and to add merit to my application.  I'm curious though, as a combat engineer, what are the most common types of Heavy Equipment that are used? I'm assuming Backhoe, Bulldozer, Excavator?  Also mentioned was that one has to be "picked" to be a heavy equipment operator as a combt. engnr.  how does that work? what else, besides civilian qualifications would influence one being picked?    :cdn:

MSE Op- Mobile Support Equipment Operator,  I've been told by the CFRC that trade is basically truck driver in the forces, comparing Combat Engineers to MSE Op's who does more with Equipment such as Backhoes, Dozers and Excavators?          :cdn:

Well, that depends ....

If you are MSE Op posted to a Base with a large training area (Gagetown, Wainwright, etc), you will do a fair bit of HE work: snow removal in the winter and road construction in the summer. Not exactly exciting stuff really. If you are in a Svc Bn, not much HE work there at all.

In the Engineers, at a Regiment at least, you will have an opportunity to go in many different directions, HE is just one of them.  Excavators, graders, dozers and dump trucks are the most commonly used veh types, along with engineer specific vehicles that do not exist in the civilian world.

No matter which route you go, you will still need to do a full operators course for each veh. MES Op's and Engineers do the same HE course, often do the same types of work (now the stick swinging will begin on who is better at what. Don't believe the hype).

Wook

Wookilar said:
Excavators, graders, dozers and dump trucks are the most commonly used veh types, along with engineer specific vehicles that do not exist in the civilian world.

Thanks Wook, that's what I'm looking for, I'm anticipating that I'm going to be waiting a while, starting today until April, that's at least 6+ months, plus from the time of application to when I get a chance at a job offer (if that even happens, never know eh?) that's another wait, so it looks like I got nothing but time in terms of getting where I want to be in the forces, so to fill the wait I figure I might as well build my skill set and start getting good at what I want to do in the Army, which is equipment operator in the Engineers.  Also I'm sure that there probably is competition  for any role in the forces, if I can get ahead of the next guy trying for the same job, I'm in.  My plan is to get my heavy equipment operators license, get some civilian training on some equipment, then pick up a civi job using my new found certification, work at operating a machine, get good at it so that like I said before, when the time comes that I'm hopefully accepted into the forces I actually have the skills to be what I applied for. 
Actually I've heard that one has to be accepted into the trade as a Combat Engineer first then one has to prove themselves worthy to take the direction of heavy equipment operator,
true?

Like most specialty courses, it's a combination of expressing your wishes to the right people, merit, and sometimes just being in the right place at the right time.  It used to be that you first got dump truck qualified, and depending on how you did on the course, you would be employed in the dump section.  If you proved not to be a thud, you might get nominated for dozer/loader/excavator course.  Further down the road is crane and grader course.

justintime519 said:
Actually I've heard that one has to be accepted into the trade as a Combat Engineer first then one has to prove themselves worthy to take the direction of heavy equipment operator,
true?

Most definitely true. You can expect to be employed as a Cbt Engr for a few years before even being considered to attend the Heavy Equipment Operator Course. And even then, you may never be offered it - it all depends on how you perform in the trade, the potential you display to excel in specialized areas of the trade, the requirement for operators in the Regt you eventually get posted to, as well as a host of other stuff. Basically, just because you are accepted into our family, even if you have a civy Hvy Equip ticket, does not guarantee your being offered the opportunity to attend the course. Don't take that as me saying you won't be able to, take it as me saying don't expect to be automatically offered the opportunity  :2c:

Hi All,  As a heavy op in the Engineers now, i will tell you to save your money.  I just taught on a Basic HY Crse this summer.  The Heavy course that the civie's run is not the same as you would get in the army.  Most of the course that the civie's teach are two weeks long and basically teach you the very basic's.  I.E  they dont teach you how to do a V-Ditch and Cambre.  The Course that the army teaches is 5 months long and you will learn Dozer, loader, backhoe and Excavator.  Once you come back to the unit and get more time on that kit, than you might be selected for Grader and/or Crane.  Keep in mind that we teach alot that is geared toward the army, however you still are taught how to build road and dig basements.  Have fun with it all.

Chimo

good advise iohwyswn & Capt Happy

I will save my money, (well at least some of it) ,still being a civilian wanting very much to join the CF as an C.Engineer I have decided to just work on PT training and building a good personel portfolio by being a good standing citizen in my community, maybe doing some volunteer work and staying out of trouble so that when my time comes to fill out that application at my local CFRC I hopefully luck out and get some kind of offer... just to elaborate on my original subject, "opinions about Heavy Equipment..."  in stead of spending my money on all sorts of training concerning Heavy Equipment that might not even land me a job in the civi world I decided to just get my AZ license and get some experience driving a rig for a while, at least until the CF start hiring again, apparently having a civilian AZ license gives you the same merit as Heavy Equipment cert. when it comes to applying for C.Engineer, (according to my local CFRC)... any thoughts?

Back