• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LEOPARD TANK QUESTION

If my memory seves me well, it should say MB 838 CaM 500 for the engine and ZF101 ? tranny

The MB should be Maybach-Mercedes-Benz and ZF is Zahnradfabrik.

Am I close?

Tom

Kat Stevens said:
"As for specs....the engine is rated at 825BHP...not 830. Check the manuals."

From the Leopard C1 Operators Manual, AVLB:

830 HP @ 2200 RPM.

Key word is AVLB    ;)

I had to memorise the damn specs in '93....and I seem to remember the Leo C 1 sitting in at 35.5 metric tons with full combat load.

Oh what fond memories....

Regards

Weights:

Empty weight 40400kg
Maximum combat weight 42400
Permissible total weight according to DIN 43000

Engine:

Type: MB 838 CaM-500 four stroke , multi fuel engine with precombustion chamber and mechanical superchargers.

All from the PDF off Documentum, used to teach the new drivers.

The ONLY difference between a MBT pack, and AEV, AVLB, or ARV pack, is the PTO plate bolted to the flywheel in order to engage the splined shaft on the sliding coupling of the hydraulic pump drive.  I know, because I had to memorize the specs in '90 with B sqn VIII CH on my D&M course.  And I drove/operated AEV and AVLB for 10 continuous years.  If you really want to measure pecker length over Leo stick time, bring it.  Coz it ain't got a gun on it, don't mean it ain't a leopard.  ;D

I was, alas, on the same D&M course (top student!!!!!) as Franko, and I don't remember it EVER being taught as 825 HP. The reason I remember it being 830HP is because I remember that each cylinder (830/10=83 HP.... I know that is simplistic and likely wrong, but hey!! whatever it helps you remember things on a course.....) was bigger than the total HP of my VW Jetta (75HP).

Regardless of this tiny example of picking fly-sh!t out of pepper (what's 5HP amongst friends?!??!), it was possible to go 100km/h (or faster, in theory) in the tanks with the German shift tower. Shawn McCrae (whom I bumped into the other day here in Gagtown.....he's a Veh Tech MCpl now) was driving one from ATP to WTP and coming down the big ass hill towards Sgt Ralph bridge area (don't remember if bridge was actually there at the time) he slipped it into neutral (no governing of engine that way) and let gravity take over. We were going so fast that: a) I thought that we were going to go back in time, b) we were going to die, and c) I was hoping that the track wouldn't break, because I didn't want to die next to Rod Crapper (Carper).

Ah, good times in Gagetown.

Speaking of tank war stories, and MWO Dave Corney (who is soon to retire.... he was mugged out yesterday prior to his retirement from the Reg Force (he is going to the PEIR after retirement): he and I were in a CUCV when we were in the QM (he was SQMS, I was his lackey). We were driving towards WTP from Telephone Corner direction when we got near Murphy Pit. A Meathead flagged us over and said "There's a big tank coming this way!!! Move off the road!!!!!!" We thought: "Psshaw!!! A tank!! Big freaking deal!!!!" Well wouldn't you know that there was a lowbed with a T72 on the back of it barrelling down the road. The driver was going so fast that he was doing the whole exagerated steering wheel left-right-left that you see when people are mimicking driving in the movies. Anyway, he cut the corner so tight to us that the ass end of the trailer came right at us, and the track of the T72, because it was overhanging the lowbed, clipped the cargo compartment on the truck. I, being the epitome of calm and collected, was curled up into Corney's lap, making my peace with God/Allah/Buddha or whomever would listen to my girl-like screams.

I'm glad I have a jammy desk job now........

Al

I'm surprised after that story Al, that the MP didn't do the customary issuance of a Speeding Ticket to that Trucker for speeding in the Training Area.

Well....the poo dust and the acrid odour of the shyte pond must be getting to me.

Re-read my previous posts....    ::)

Oh well...we all make mistakes.

Regards

Franko, if I remember correctly, you were a toon on that course, and hence, your memory should not be trusted.  :p Al was top student cause he was the only student who didn't actually try to kill the instructors going over those knife edges.
Saying that I couldn't tell you what the HP of the power pack was from memory either...

As for this...
Regardless of this tiny example of picking fly-sh!t out of pepper (what's 5HP amongst friends?!??!), it was possible to go 100km/h (or faster, in theory) in the tanks with the German shift tower. Shawn McCrae (whom I bumped into the other day here in Gagtown.....he's a Veh Tech MCpl now) was driving one from ATP to WTP and coming down the big *** hill towards Sgt Ralph bridge area (don't remember if bridge was actually there at the time) he slipped it into neutral (no governing of engine that way) and let gravity take over. We were going so fast that: a) I thought that we were going to go back in time, b) we were going to die, and c) I was hoping that the track wouldn't break, because I didn't want to die next to Rod Crapper (Carper).
I witnessed this. I believe it was in 92- 93, After RV but before the bridge. He almost ran right into the back end of the tank in front of him coming up the next little hill.
my 31B, with the new pack and suspension (remember the smaller idler wheel, souped up shocks) could easily do 60 km cross country.

I can't seem to get the image of Al curled up in Corney's lap outta my head... MUAHAHAHA

i work with a man who was with the german army in Shilo before working where i am now. he said that the leopard 2's were capable of passing people on the highway.

id love to see that. little honda getting blown by by a big green german tank :)

A little off the topic of Leopard 1s, but the Leopard 2 can also out accelerate a volvo (not saying much, but it is still cool).  Just don't try that on a road as you would a put pretty hole or pull quite a few feet of asphalt up.  :tank: >:D
If I had millions of dollars to blow I wouldn't buy a nice car and a house, I would buy a Leopard 2.

who needs Miles per gallon when you can get Gallons to the mile ;)

Ok I know this is a stupid question, but does it make a tank go faster if it just happen to be, for some reason, shooting in the opposite direction? Like it is moving <--- that way and it was shooting ---> that way... Or would it just jolt it and make no real differance??

it would just jolt it, as it does when you fire as you are moving forward.

The tanks weighs, what?  50 tons?  And it contains a 105mm cannon.
the 105mm towed artillery does not roll, or jump back at all when fire does it?
If not, I fail to see how a gun of the same calibre will increase the rate of movement of a block of metal that ways so much.

I only know what I have studied, I do not have any true experience, if you wish shoot this comment down, do by all means.
It will be a learning experience.

The only thing you have to take into consideration is if you are firing on the move driving forward and your NBCD overpressure system is on.   If you have not flipped the SA cam on the gun and the breech opens and the cartridge case is ejected on run-out, the - assuming you are going 30km/h forward - 30 km/h column of air pushing down the gun tube may overwhelm the fume extractor (bore evacuator) and allow outside contaminated air (as well as propellent gases) into the turret.

No big deal if you remember that before you unmask.

;D

Tom

the 105mm towed artillery does not roll, or jump back at all when fire does it?

Of course it does. This energy is absorbed however, in 2 ways - Through the recoil system (not sure about the new Guns, but the C1 had a "Hydro-pneumatic, constant-dependent, employing a floating piston". In addidtion, one of the purposes of the trails/spades is to help tranfer energy to the ground. Almost every Gunner has had to dig/winch/pull Guns out, that had moved several feet backwards (due to recoil) and buried themselves up to the wheels....

Back