• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Knee Braces

cgyflames01 said:
No CF member will then be able to ask why you wear the brace.

Uhm, wrong...I can. If there is an issue within your chain of command, then they have the right to ask if a treatment is medically warranted and to know what your restrictions are.

The question would come to me by your WO or Sgt Maj, along the lines of "Pte Bloggns always wears a knee brace when he runs. I am concerned about him injuring his knee. What are his restrictions?"

...And the Medical Employment Limitations (MEL) would state something like "Running and Breathing at own pace, at the discretion and convenience of the soldier." ;D

St. Mike:

It would be nice if I could point my finger at a single MO, but it seems just about anyone can sign a chit and give MEL these days.  There are some crazy restrictions but those are best left unsaid for our mutual benefit.

I just wanted to know if it is ok to wear knee braces during the BMQ training. I wear knee braces for support and without them I tend to get knee pain when running. Will this be acceptable during BMQ?

Thanks

I changed the title to make it a bit more specific.

Please define "knee braces".

The Search Function is either still not working, or you have come up with a truly unique question...

My google fu shows one topic discussing knee braces. I did not see BMQ specifically mentioned.

Are you talking about a knee brace (http://www.betterbraces.com/Thumbnail.aspx?image=djextreme.jpg)

Or a knee sleeve? (http://www.roundcube.co.uk/images/products/large/1231859067_Open%20Patella%20Knee%20Sleeve.jpg)

The former was the first thing that sprang to my mind, and I thought: "Only if it's hydraulically boosted to give "the strength of ten

Ordinary men

It's the mighty..."

Most of you are too young to get that, methinks.

Anyway, I merged the topics.

And as a side benefit, everything's green now.

Loachman said:
The former was the first thing that sprang to my mind, and I thought: "Only if it's hydraulically boosted to give "the strength of ten

Ordinary men

It's the mighty..."

Hercules!!  and his little buddy Newton!

You ARE old, Loachman.

Roy Harding said:
Hercules!!  and his little buddy Newton!

You ARE old, Loachman.

:( You mean you have to be old to remember that show? I guess that explains the grey hairs coming in.

Dont forget toot...the freak couldnt even speak.

do doo dooo do
Whats that toot?

I have kids...and my driver was born in the 1990's...when the hell did all this happen?

I just wear knee sleeves that I bought at a Shoppers drug mart. Nothing mechanical just more like a tensioner offering some support. The knee is the most critical and complicated joint of the body outside of the spine so I like to ensure it is protected. If I could get through the BMQ with it why would that be a problem? I just don't want to cause a commotion because I wear the braces. When I run without em my knees become sore from the impact on pavement but that might be eliminated with better shoes.

Seabass said:
When I run without em my knees become sore from the impact on pavement but that might be eliminated with better shoes.

Another thing that you might try looking into is altering the way you run. I'd suggest investigating Pose Running. The gist of it is that you try your best to land on your mid-foot, rather than your heel, which gives your calves a chance to absorb most of the shock of landing, rather than it hitting the knees.

gcclarke said:
Another thing that you might try looking into is altering the way you run. I'd suggest investigating Pose Running. The gist of it is that you try your best to land on your mid-foot, rather than your heel, which gives your calves a chance to absorb most of the shock of landing, rather than it hitting the knees.

Good point.  I know that various sport shoe stores (The Running Room, The Footlocker, amongst others) used to offer an analysis of your gait - either free or for a low fee.  I went once and it helped considerably - the way I had been running had been hurting my back for years.  Once I mastered the way they showed me, my back didn't hurt as much when running.

It doesn't help the original poster much, but do the CFPSA PT folks offer this kind of assistance?

I'd definately strive to eliminate the knee braces/supports.  Make sure your stride is good and you are wear the right runners.  I spare no expense when it comes to my shoes.  I buy them even if they are ugly!  The right fit, type, support and cushion makes all the difference.  Also for may knee issues, if you work and strengthen surrounding muscles (quads, hams, calves, hips), you're better off.
Don't allow the knee braces/supports to be a security blanket.

I have recently torn my ACL in my left knee, and it has been recommended that I use a custom made knee brace. The brace would be for physical activity and to support my weight and prevent further injury. I was in the process of filling out the enrolment application, and would like to know if I will not be able to apply and or use a custom made brace for BMQ. any response will be helpful.

You'll need to do your enrollment medical before you'll get a definite answer. The Med O can allow you to wear the brace, or you may be required to wait until your ACL has healed more before joining the Forces. Have a look around this forum: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,72.0.html and you will find out everything you've wanted to know about enrollment medicals and more.

Keep in mind there is a lot of high impact running for PT, so your ACL may not be able to take the strain. Let the pro's guide you in the right direction.

Back