• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Knee Braces

B

brown bear

xo31 or others who can help. I have a medical question and would appreciate a response.

I tore ligaments in a knee about 10 years ago (the anterior cruciate ligament was completely torn). My doctor did not recommended an operation at the time as he felt that in his experience, the ligament could tear again. He recommended a knee brace for when I ski or do similar type of activities.

Would a torn ligament as described disqualify me from enrolling. My MOC would not be a combat or field type of occupation requiring strenuos physical activity but more like a Public Affairs type of position.

Thanks in advance,

Bear

Brown Bear: well it all depends; is the ligament still torn? Would you require surgey in the future? How often and for what activities do you require a knee brace? What type of knee brace? The questions go on and on. The best and only way to discover whether or not you qualify for the Forces is to apply and go through the recruitment applicant process.
In reference to what MOC you would apply for, whether it be infantry, bosun, medic,clerk, etc; it does not matter. Every military applicant must be able to meet common enrolment medical standards. You could be an infanteer at a battalion for your 20 years or you could be a medic posted at the same unit; both must meet the same PT standards for the battalion. (Such as was the case for myself; I joined as an infanteer; remustered to medic, and was posted back to an infantry battalion - we all belonged to the same unit and had to meet the same pt standards).
Hope this helps

xo31: thanks for the reply. Yes the ligament is still torn. I recall the othopedic surgeon mentioning that when a ligament is completely torn it does not heal by itself and will therefore always remain torn unless I undergo reconstructive surgey. Surgery would have been recommend if I was in my early 20‘s and a professional athelete who‘s livlihood depended on it.

Knee brace would be for any activity such as skiing where the knee pivots.

I don‘t know the name of the type of knee brace but it is the typical knee brace you will see people wearing on a ski hill. It is actually quite common.

I would think that this type of question occurs often as this is a common sports injury. Especially for those who ski and play football.

I appreciate your response.

Bear

This might sound weird, but my main concern about joining is jumping. You see I had knee surgery years ago and although it is fine now, it does get sore sometimes (usually after I've run for three to four days straight). I know I can handle the running involved but I'm concerned about basic training (and any further training) and jumping down from heights. What is the tallest distance I'd have to jump? Am I kidding myself in thinking I can handle being in the army with a weak knee? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Don't know if you've already done so but search the forums for "knee", you'll get a lot of hits. 

When you go in for your medical, you'll discuss your knee surgery and they'll assess the current condition of your knee.  The military is rough on the body, so getting through the medical will be the first big step you'll have to take. 

As for distances you need to jump, hard to say.  Sometimes instructors can think of interesting forms of PT to pound the body!

The heights that you might jump would vary by occupation.   Infantry or clerk, mechanic or artilleryman, each occupation has its own requirements.   As for basic soldiering and Basic Training, most obstacle courses have a 10-12 foot wall.   It is not the jumping that matters it is the landing technique that truly matters.

In some cases it will be the falling that will hurt even more, when required to do section attacks and it's your turn to carry the radio on top of your 50+ lb rucksack, each dash, down crawl will challenge your knee, as well as most of the rest of the joints in your body.

The physical training done by soldiers is to prepare them for the arduous nature of the battlefield.   Being fit to fight at the end of a 13+ km forced march requires strength, endurance and perseverance.

"Am I kidding myself in thinking I can handle being in the army with a weak knee? Any advice would be really appreciated."

- We have all kinds of PAT and PAL Platoons full of busted kids who lied about their previous med history to get in.  What trade are you going?  Because once the knee goes on you, you just don't walk out the door with a bunch of money - not that simple.

More details - please.

Tom

I've passed my medical. I'm planning on joining the local reserve unit which is an infantry unit. I'm new to this stuff, so I'm not sure what trade I'll go for. The Sergent at the unit said that I would probably become a driver. I really want to join and I'm thinking that the reserves is the best place to start to get an idea if the army is something I would want to do full time. Anyways, I guess I don't know what my body can handle till I try.

I have a trick knee, flat feet, and a herniated disk in my lower spine. Last month I jumped from 1250 feet.
If you worry about what you can't do, you'll never know what you can do. 

Thanks Paracowboy! You're right. I guess I just don't want to look like an idiot or let down the team. But then, that's the wrong attitude too. I'll do the best I can.

TCBF said:
"We have all kinds of PAT and PAL Platoons full of busted kids who lied about their previous med history to get in.  
A wee bit of a generalization Tom!  And it's that kind attitude that has piddled me off on more than one occasion.  I'm sure you're not privy to everyone's private medical records to back that up!

tree hugger said:
A wee bit of a generalization Tom!   And it's that kind attitude that has piddled me off on more than one occasion.   I'm sure you're not privy to everyone's private medical records to back that up!

I'd bet TCBF is right, that's been my experience too.

"A wee bit of a generalization Tom!  And it's that kind attitude that has piddled me off on more than one occasion.  I'm sure you're not privy to everyone's private medical records to back that up!"

- What i am privy to is my experience putting 510 Recruits through CFRS Cornwallis, and 300 Recruits/Offr Cadets through CFLRS St. Jean.  What experience do YOU bring to this table?

;D

Tom

TCBF said:
"A wee bit of a generalization Tom!   And it's that kind attitude that has piddled me off on more than one occasion.   I'm sure you're not privy to everyone's private medical records to back that up!"

- What i am privy to is my experience putting 510 Recruits through CFRS Cornwallis, and 300 Recruits/Offr Cadets through CFLRS St. Jean.    What experience do YOU bring to this table?

;D

Tom

Come on Tom he does have MARS II after all.

If the system had a bit of backbone (like in the olden days) those young folks would have been bounced out for Irregular Enrolment.   After a really good scolding for lying on enrolment.   Instead they may spend up to 3 years in PAT/Holding pl waiting for divine intervention to heal them.   I have seen young folks complete a 3 yr BE in Holding pl.  

Count me for 530+ recruits in Cornwallis and 7 years straight as Crse Offr, OC and Trg Offr at various CF establishments.

TCBF may be generalizing but there is merit to his suppositions.

TCBF said:
- What i am privy to is my experience putting 510 Recruits through CFRS Cornwallis, and 300 Recruits/Offr Cadets through CFLRS St. Jean.    What experience do YOU bring to this table?

;D

Tom

Fine and dandy Tom.  Soon as there is a trade with spec pay for guys of your infinite wisdom, who know all about lying recruits, private medical interview/records injuries and the stats involved I'm sure you'll be a shoe-in!

I find so many people have that attitude or think all the injured are lazy soldiers who couldn't cut it.  My experience on this subject comes from being the brunt of an assumption like that.  My situation sucks and maybe if people didn't make snap judgements like these, I'd be further ahead.

kincanucks said:
Come on Tom he does have MARS II after all.
Kincanucks - If you weren't so helpful to all those coming to the boards, I'd be leading the wedgie parade on you. ;)

tree hugger:

Did you ever think that you may be the exception that proves the rule??

Did it ever occur to you that if there WEREN'T so many "lying recruits" then you never would have been "the brunt of an assumption like that", because those assumptions wouldn't BE made in the first place?

It's not all about you - step outside your own circumstances (hard to do, I know) and look at the bigger picture.

I freely admit I'm overly sensitive on the issue.  I've been working  my butt off to get off the bench and back into the game for the past 2 years.  I'm starting to think DMCARM is plotting against me.

So to summarize:  I'm piddled, overly sensitive and paranoid.

Fair 'nuff.

Keep at it - you'll get there.

Llater in your career, when you're posted to DMCARM as a Staff Officer, remember this experience (if the part of your brain which retains these memories isn't removed as part of the compulsory lobotomy all personnel are required to undergo when posted to NDHQ).  ;)

Back