• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Killer Chick" USAF pilot lands A10 without hydraulics!!!!

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Now that is my kind of Warthog pilot!!!!  :D

109862.jpg

"Killer Chick", aka KC, aka Kim Campbell, who brought this A-10 back with a whole bunch of holes from AAA in the tail section? Landed it without hydraulics. Which means no speed brake, no wheel brakes, and no nose wheel steering.

http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/109862.html

Its for days like this that Fairchild-Republic aviation built triple-redundency into the A-10

I would have like an article with those pics ...

See... It's this kinda stuff that makes me love the A-10.  FF or not, it's a bad-a$$ platform.   

We just have to get past the love/hate relationship.  ;D

It's a good thing that the pilot was alright.

What a babe ;)

As was noted earlier....it was designed to do exactly what it did.

Got her home safe and sound.

Kim Campbell and no jokes? Must be late.        ;D

Regards

Recce By Death said:
Kim Campbell and no jokes? Must be late.         ;D

Maybe if she was a helicopter pilot.  The irony would be stunning.
Where and when was that pic taken?  Who has that kind of firepower?

Maybe if she was a helicopter pilot.  The irony would be stunning.
Where and when was that pic taken?  Who has that kind of firepower?

Iraqi insurgents have that kind of firepower.  She got shot at in Iraq.

stegner said:
Iraqi insurgents have that kind of firepower.  She got shot at in Iraq.

Former Republican Guards that ran to the hills perhaps?

Could have been anything from a MANPAD, to a lucky hit from a RPG, to a run in with a ZU-23, to well disciplined troops firing small arms in a disciplined AD plan.

I suspect 14.5mm HMG, perhaps in a dual mount? Pretty good shooting for a guy on the ground using a ring sight, not to mention gutsy taking on a A10. Glad the plane and pilot survived.

edited for 1mm goof

George Wallace said:
Could have been anything from a MANPAD, to a lucky hit from a RPG, to a run in with a ZU-23, to well disciplined troops firing small arms in a disciplined AD plan.

::)

I'll just say I highly doubt that option!

SupersonicMax said:

Although i doubt small arms caused that damage, Insurgents in both Iraq and Afghanistan have proven capable of mounting organized and well disciplined operations so that part is not hard to beleive.

SupersonicMax said:

Why? Because you're aware of the Republican Guard orbat or training? You are aware of the training regime carried out by insurgents?

I've said it before, and I will say it again. The insurgents are not stupid people, they are well organized and well trained. Looking down on them will ultimately be the individual whose opinion's demise.

MedTech said:
Why? Because you're aware of the Republican Guard orbat or training? You are aware of the training regime carried out by insurgents?

I've said it before, and I will say it again. The insurgents are not stupid people, they are well organized and well trained. Looking down on them will ultimately be the individual whose opinion's demise.

If you look at the picture, it's very concentrated fire, considering that thing was probably doing 300+ kts at low level.  I don't think that 50 people could aim for the exact same spot on the airplane in those conditions.  Plus, as CDN Aviator said, it's a lot of damage for small arms.

Max

During OIF the AD school carried out a AD ambush of the Apaches which although didn't shoot any helo's down caused significant damage to number of them. It is likely that some of the ex-military guys could arrange the ambush or the Airdefense of a valuable asset.

George Wallace said:

But aren't MANPADS shoulder-launched surface-to-air missiles? if so would they produce that type of dmg?

Colin P said:
During OIF the AD school carried out a AD ambush of the Apaches which although didn't shoot any helo's down caused significant damage to number of them. It is likely that some of the ex-military guys could arrange the ambush or the Airdefense of a valuable asset.

We can both appreciate that an Apache and a Hog have very different speeds!

Back