• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Not sure about everywhere else but every unit in my CBG has been tactically grouped. COs and RSMs halved.

Still don’t have ammo and still don’t have equipment despite some people thinking that was the solution…
Under the new plans for the ARes under F2025/2030, units under a certain strength will get taken over by their parents brigades.

All reserve Regiments less then 70% TES in 5 years reduced to coy strength and amalgamated. Done

If only that's where all the savings were located.

A better way to save $ would be for the Reg F to adopt the ARes model ;)

Also a lot of ‘admin’ positions built around additional headquarters that command basically nothing.

Or three fully equipped smaller services?

I don’t see why the Army has 4 poorly equipped Reg Force Bde’s and 10 basically non equipped Res Bde’s.

Maybe 3 Army Bde’s - 1 100% Regular, 1 70% Regular and 30% PRes, and 1 30% Regular and 70% PRes?

As well the RCAF should be able to have PRes Aviation, Transport and Fighter squadrons.

Unsure what can be done with the Navy in terms of Reg/Res
Agreed. You can come up with a great deal of possible combinations. The kicker is whatever the CDS comes up with, it must satisfy the tasks assigned to the military, meet the agreed stipulations to existing military treaties and even more difficult, to satisfy a gov't that doesn't understand national security and national defence and what CAF can and cannot do.

Which to me means the Requirement Document was flawed in at least two areas:
1) disqualifying the J-Herc from submission
2) Allowing the 295 in.
J Herc wasn't disqualified, LockMart chose not to bid it.

J Herc wasn't disqualified, LockMart chose not to bid it.
Based on the parameters of the solicitation the Herc doesn’t appear to be compliant.

It appears to have been written for a dual engine airframe, and the size/weight where above the requirement as well.

So maybe disqualified was a poor word on my part, non compliant would have been better. Generally most companies won’t submit non compliant bids to go through the effort to just get thrown out.

The C-27 Spartan appears to have been the ‘role model’ for the requirement, which is much akin to a baby JHerc.

Based on the parameters of the solicitation the Herc doesn’t appear to be compliant.

It appears to have been written for a dual engine airframe, and the size/weight where above the requirement as well.

So maybe disqualified was a poor word on my part, non compliant would have been better. Generally most companies won’t submit non compliant bids to go through the effort to just get thrown out.

The C-27 Spartan appears to have been the ‘role model’ for the requirement, which is much akin to a baby JHerc.
so how long before we finally give up on the 295 and go shopping again or do we continue to make do with decades old H models? I have noted before that the C390 meets all the requirements and is now a viable a/c so unlike Bombardier and the ASW proposal it would be worthy of consideration. There must be a task somewhere that the 295 can perform or maybe we should just sell them to a country with the geography that is compatible.

so how long before we finally give up on the 295 and go shopping again or do we continue to make do with decades old H models? I have noted before that the C390 meets all the requirements and is now a viable a/c so unlike Bombardier and the ASW proposal it would be worthy of consideration. There must be a task somewhere that the 295 can perform or maybe we should just sell them to a country with the geography that is compatible.
Maybe park a line of them behind a CC-150 without chocks? 🤔

Donate them to Ukraine?

The C390 seems a little large for the FWSAR role to me, as it seems to be basically a turbo fan version of a Herc, even stall speeds seem to be similar (5MPH higher for the 390 but the difference of 120 vice 115 isn’t really much when dispatching from an AC, or searching).

Other than the cruising (and max) speed benefits of the C390, why add another fleet when you could get more J-Hercs?

Again I’m not a pilot, but if not JHercs the C27J Spartan seems to be a better fit, as it’s got a lot of common features of the Herc, and that appears to be its main selling point, as the JHerc’s little brother (albeit not made by LocMart.

Coles notes version: everything ;)

Written by an outsider to the program who is simply repeating what lobbyists from the losing airframe have been saying for years.

None of the "safety" issues that he mentioned are valid. The airplane is flying daily, it has dispatched SARTechs, it has flown in light/moderate icing. It's avionics are the best in the entire RCAF - it has flown to the geographic north pole (something the J Herc was not able to do for decades).

It's superior in every way to the CC-115 and CC-130H that it will replace. The J-SAR option is essentially a pickup truck, it has zero sensor fusion - it is a relatively modern airframe conducting SAR ops from the 1980s.

Written by an outsider to the program who is simply repeating what lobbyists from the losing airframe have been saying for years.

None of the "safety" issues that he mentioned are valid. The airplane is flying daily, it has dispatched SARTechs, it has flown in light/moderate icing. It's avionics are the best in the entire RCAF - it has flown to the geographic north pole (something the J Herc was not able to do for decades).

It's superior in every way to the CC-115 and CC-130H that it will replace. The J-SAR option is essentially a pickup truck, it has zero sensor fusion - it is a relatively modern airframe conducting SAR ops from the 1980s.
Great!

When is IOC, again?

Interesting report but I noted a lot of the increase is based on perception of the people in regard to touching and a good bit is while everyone is drinking. If you are all drinking in a crowd and people are pushing through was that touch sexual or just because you are in a crowd and they have to push through? Not dismissing the report but do think a grain of salt is needed with it. A case that happened years ago - man walking on sidewalk with arms swinging back and forth passes a woman going the opposite way. Contact is made, complaint is made of sexual assault. Accusation was that he touched her butt. Question was did his hand accidently hit her on the back swing? How many of these cases were along the same lines?

Interesting report but I noted a lot of the increase is based on perception of the people in regard to touching and a good bit is while everyone is drinking. If you are all drinking in a crowd and people are pushing through was that touch sexual or just because you are in a crowd and they have to push through? Not dismissing the report but do think a grain of salt is needed with it. A case that happened years ago - man walking on sidewalk with arms swinging back and forth passes a woman going the opposite way. Contact is made, complaint is made of sexual assault. Accusation was that he touched her butt. Question was did his hand accidently hit her on the back swing? How many of these cases were along the same lines?

Breakdown by level 1 is interesting; the problem space at first glance appears to be profoundly skewed towards the senior service.

I can't help but think this story was push by the MO to deflect from the reports of the poor state of the RCN and the lack of ammunition for the army?

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland told reporters on Tuesday that she “absolutely” agrees “we need to do more.”

“I do want all Canadian women in uniform to know we recognize the challenge, we recognize the pain and the fear, and we are totally committed to supporting them,” she said.

I guess the males who where the victims are shit out of luck...

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland told reporters on Tuesday that she “absolutely” agrees “we need to do more.”

“I do want all Canadian women in uniform to know we recognize the challenge, we recognize the pain and the fear, and we are totally committed to supporting them,” she said.

I guess the males who where the victims are shit out of luck...

Well, the Prime Minister is a self-avowed feminist so there is that ;)

justin trudeau world GIF

Back