• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

James Travers "Fisked" in Canadian Blue Lemons

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Travers - Too Many Assumptions & Too Much Bias
<http://crux-of-the-matter.com/?p=30>

In today's Toronto Star, James Travers has a column
<http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/211318> titled: "Restoring civilian control." The subtitle is: "It is not in our interest to allow the military to become synonymous with Canada." Those are impressive assumptions to say the least. Let us look at some of the statements in the column to analyze whether there is any blatant conservative and/or military bias.

*      "Canada's new prisoner deal with Afghanistan makes commitments the military avoided in 2005 when Gen. Rick Hillier signed a now discredited accord ....Fearing that monitoring detainees would be a liability...."

The words "discredited" and "fearing that monitoring would be a liability" are highly charged words and are completely unnecessary. Now, remember this was an agreement signed under the former PM, Paul Martin's watch. It is my understanding that the agreement was negotiated by the Minister at the time (Bill Graham) and upper level diplomats - that Gen. Hillier simply signed what had already been decided. He did not sign it with the notion that monitoring detainees would be a liability. Remember, if anyone decided that, it was the politicians at the time - who were Liberal - yet Travers blames Hillier.

*      "All have implications for a difficult mission that has taken 55 Canadian lives and continues to polarize this country."

The only reason this country is polarized is because the media keep saying that it is polarizing the country. I don't think so. If the media would give a balanced evaluation of the mission and what the troops are doing, perhaps people would be in a position to make a fair judgment about Canada's role. Journalists like Travers are making the news, not reporting it.

*      "They raise questions about the military's appetite for safeguarding prisoners, political control over generals and Stephen Harper's willingness to impose holistic, all-of-government, discipline on a reconstruction effort now dominated by the military."

Now, just what is that supposed to mean? On what basis is the PM imposing holistic all-of-government discipline that former PM Paul Martin and Defence Minister Bill Graham didn't impose? This is just more conservative bashing. It is the military who is committed to doing reconstruction, which is difficult to do while simultaneously attempting to pacify the insurgency.

*      "Sources directly involved in deliberations that shaped the 2005 agreement say the top brass considered prisoner monitoring a burden and legally unnecessary."

Which sources said that? Which top brass? And, as with a previous statement, why is Travers blaming the anonymous top brass and not the Liberals who were the government who set the policy for the Afghan mission? Obviously this is more anti-conservative bias.

*      "Still, last week's new, vastly improved agreement borrowing heavily from British and Dutch experience, is the product of a revealing different process. Instead of military-to-military, it's between governments - and this time Hillier is an interested spectator, not the star player. That suggests Conservatives caught in the spotlight are applying more oversight than Liberals who gave Hillier enormous freedom back when almost no one was watching. An encouraging step forward, that still leaves uncertainty about the safety of the prisoners as well as lingering questions about the balance of a mission that is supposed to be about more than fighting."

There are amazing presuppositions, and almost racist disregard, in this statement that assumes the Afghans can't manage their own prisoners. NATO is in that country at the invitation of the Afghan government, and Canada is just one country in that overall mission. The truth of the matter is that our troops are not there to teach human rights but to expel the Taliban and to help in the rebuilding of the whole country. Once that is done, hopefully improved human rights would happen. However, if you read the entire section carefully, Travers is also suggesting that these latest changes were only made because the Conservatives were caught out. Either way its biased against the Canadian Conservative government, the Afghan government and the military.

*      "Conservatives are now paying a high political price for that weak agreement struck while Liberals were in power as well as for their own inability to get the prisoner story straight. That leaves Harper's government with two challenges: It must make good on prisoner guarantees and claw back control of the mission from the military."

There you have it. The whole purpose of this article was to blame the Conservatives for whatever the MSM said about it all during this media and opposition-made "detainees" crisis. What Travers seems to be saying is that our military is running the Afghan mission - which is ridiculous. The government of the day sets the mission's goals and decides what can or cannot be done and the military carries it out. It was under the Liberals and Defense Minister Bill Graham that the policy in Afghanistan changed (moving the Canadian troops into a direct combat role) and when the first prisoner agreement was signed. This whole column is about bashing the military, from the title and subtitle to the final sentence. It is also bashing Conservatives because they "supposedly" didn't get the story straight. I would suggest that Travers isn't getting the story straight either. For example, he says: "As central as security is to the mission there, it's not in this country's interest to allow the military to become synonymous with Canada." Actually, in my opinion, the military should be synonymous with the "best" that is Canada - because it is for those ideals and principles that they serve.

Travers has an axe to grind. 

If you read any of his stuff, you can tell the guy hates Hillier....Travers prefers his military men to be spineless sicophants unquestioningly reporting to the Liberal Party of Canada.  Any breach of that model and he gets pissy and does everything possible to upset the applecart.

Matthew.  ::)

More fisking of Mr. Travesty:

Ideology and ignorance, a toxic mix
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/04/ideology-and-ignorance-toxic-mix.html

Afstan: It's all the CDS' fault
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/03/afstan-its-all-cds-fault.html

Mark
Ottawa

Today's Cruxing:

Fisking Travers Was About His Message
http://crux-of-the-matter.com/?p=31

Mark
Ottawa

Good comment.

Travers is soaked in the political largesse and bias that has largely 'ruled' the Canadian universe the past several decades and that is decidedly against the current government.

You're absolutely right about the military being the 'best' of our identity.  Always has been.  Always will be.
But a sailor, soldier or airman (generic) serves for a cause greater than  themselves, i.e., Queen & Country. 
What sods like Travers believe, and it appears from some kind of hypnosis, is that 'Canada' equals 'Liberal' and this, of course, has been the mantra that helped to deprive our forces in practically every aspect of their role and existence because historically it has an anti-military inclination...in spite of some fine exceptions.

Some of this confusion (apart from Travers obvious misinformation), I think, is because of the 1974 amalgamation of the forces with DND, thus 'civilisanising' and 'politicising' the forces.  Rick Hillier is paying the price for that; where he properly should be permitted to speak, and understood to only speak, for the armed forces as an instrument of the government. 

I don't think that Travers likes a Canadian General acting like a General instead of his preference for a civil servant who is intimidated by politicians.

Honi soit qui Mal y pense.

I say we invite Traver's to the next Toronto army.ca pub night. >:D

He'd need 2 things in order to do that Danjanou....

1.....He'd need to step out from behind his desk and poison pen....The problem being that his soft underbelly would be exposed and he might actually have to debate instead of spewing his rhetoric forth to an audience with little fear of justifying his comments.

2.....He'd need a spine to show up. See point 1. Spine also required to step out from behind desk/pen.

General Hillier scares people like this guy. He thinks for himself and does what he thinks is best for his soldiers and the military. Of course people are nervous. This guy is competent and his troops love him to boot.

HollywoodHitman said:
He'd need 2 things in order to do that Danjanou....

1.....He'd need to step out from behind his desk and poison pen....The problem being that his soft underbelly would be exposed and he might actually have to debate instead of spewing his rhetoric forth to an audience with little fear of justifying his comments.

2.....He'd need a spine to show up. See point 1. Spine also required to step out from behind desk/pen.

General Hillier scares people like this guy. He thinks for himself and does what he thinks is best for his soldiers and the military. Of course people are nervous. This guy is competent and his troops love him to boot.

Mr.Travers is an award winning journalist. His columns are thoughtful and informed. While he has made small errors in commentating on our Afghanistan mission he is much better informed on this multifaceted topic than most Canadian journalists.  He regularly engages in debate on current events and his opinion of Canadian news items are sought by international news organizations.
  The last sentence is a given but it is also true that the military is subservient to the elected government of the day.

I'm just going to break this down into pieces:

Mr.Travers is an award-winning journalist.

That's not saying much.  Unfortunately in the realm of journalism saying inflammatory things is more important than being accurate.  Bottom Line:  If you wouldn't trust a journalist to teach your kids objectively, then they shouldn't be journalists.  Mr. Travers falls into that category....

His columns are thoughtful and informed.

I beg to differ. Mr. Travers approaches all things using a deductive versus inductive reasoning model.  I believe 'X', and then I shall list all the possible ways I've filtered and interpretted today's events to justify my pre-existing position.  Thanks anyway, by I'll take an inductive reasoner every time.

While he has made small errors in commentating on our Afghanistan mission he is much better informed on this multifaceted topic than most Canadian journalists.

Your definition of 'small' is obviously different than mine.  Additionally, informing himself of ancilliary knowledge and then arguing something stupid, misguided and arrogant hardly qualifies him as wise or insightful.  Instead, I would argue he's very cunning at misrepresentation.  See CAIR or Eric Margolis.  Another analogous situation would be a journalist who was capable of talking of the military competencies of 1936 Nazi Germany, and used those trapping to present an anti-war case which behind the facade was truly based in the combination of personal belief in isolationism and that "civilized men use diplomacy, while only neanderthals need to resort to war".

He regularly engages in debate on current events and his opinion of Canadian news items are sought by international news organizations.

See Eric Margolis, Sheila Copps, Stephen Staples, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, etc.  Specifically because these individuals say things that are designed to draw attention to themselves (which is good for the sales side of the media business) does not in any way validate their message or outlook.  All it proves is that they're attention whores with a Machiavellian belief that it is justified to make a dishonest spectacle at others cost for their own benefit (read: attention and money).

Matthew.  :salute:

I've observed Mr. Traverse for many years, and he is nothing more than a mouth piece for the Liberal propaganda machine. 

Chantal Hebert is a much more informed, fair and thoughtful commentator on national affairs.  And no, I don't think that she can be accused of being a Tory mouth piece.

Jim Travesty, or gosh gee whiz:  Hitler, Stalin, Churchill  and Roosevelt could control their militaries (the Japanese did have a problem).  What is wrong with our Liberals and Conservatives?

Mark
Ottawa

RangerRay said:
I've observed Mr. Traverse for many years, and he is nothing more than a mouth piece for the Liberal propaganda machine. 

Chantal Hebert is a much more informed, fair and thoughtful commentator on national affairs.  And no, I don't think that she can be accused of being a Tory mouth piece.

+1 on Chantal.  She's one of my absolute favourites....I watch her at every opportunity.

Matthew.  :salute:

Hey guys I'm serious. This esteemed gentleman of the fifth estate purports to speak on issues regarding the Canadian military and our involvement in Afghanistan. What better way for him to obtain some insight and information than to attend a social gathering with serving
(including some who have been to the sandbox) and retired soldiers and those who support us.

My own limited journalistic endeavours were limited to travel and entertainment, but I understood that tom review a movie I had to actually go see it and to write about a vacation destination it was better to get on a plane and go there, even if sitting at my computer and using Google was faster and easier.

Are you saying put out an invite to all local journalists to attend a "drink and gab" session?
Hmmm...

Just one point, where to we send Tess so that he can't make it back in time? ;)

Back