• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jagmeet Singh, probably the biggest political loser?

quite a list isn't it? A lot of good people have been crucified to save one person's ego.
From what I see of him he's not half as smart as HE thinks HE is. Smartest person in the Cabinet - except for all the others he fired or shuffled around.

Reminds me of King Joffery in GoT....

game of thrones humor GIF

This will essentially prevent Trudeau from taking the honourable way out by stepping down (not that he was likely to do that).

The hosts condensed the 1 1/2 hour presser where Singh repeated the same answer. At the end, Brian Lilly and David Akin nailed Singh.

Some good points, Federal NDP don't want an election to interfere with the BC and SK NDP Provincial elections. Limited resources to share.

Not in the video, do you think Trudeau will Prorogue Parliament to run from a Confidence Motion?

Reporters SLAUGHTER Jagmeet at his OWN PRESS CONFERENCE!

Jen Gerson, writing in The Line, says ...

-----------

The NDP understands that it can't support the Liberals now, right?​

I'm starting to consider the possibility that Jagmeet Singh is bad at politics.​

I found myself pondering one question after Wednesday's bombshell announcement that NDP leader Jagmeet Singh was pulling his party out of the Confidence and Supply Agreement that has kept the current government afloat since 2022.

That is: Jagmeet Singh understands that this means he cannot continue to keep the current government afloat, right?

Right?

Because his campaign-style video released on Twitter/X seemed pretty unequivocal.

He said that the NDP had "Ripped up" the supply and confidence agreement. As a swell of generic movie soundtrack music begins to play over grainy stock video, Singh declares: "Justin Trudeau has proven again and again that he will always cave to corporate greed. The Liberals have let people down. They don't deserve another chance."

All of which might give the unwitting viewer the distinct impression that Mr. Singh believes that a battle — like an electoral battle — is imminent. And that the Liberals don't deserve another chance to, say, govern the country.

Words like "ripping up" the CASA also might give Canadians the real and palpable sense that the NDP will not continue to support the government in, say, a confidence vote, which would precipitate an election call.

These would be reasonable interpretations, based on the words that came out of Jagmeet Singh's actual mouth. Because words have meaning. We live in a society, man. And the notion that collections of mouth noises can, and do, convey shared meaning among masses of people who speak the same language is, in fact, a fairly fundamental assumption of human civilization.

And yet, in the media announcement accompanying this dizzying news, Singh noted: "the NDP is ready for an election, and voting non-confidence will be on the table with each and every confidence measure." In comments to the media during a press conference on Thursday, Singh stuck to that message: we’ll consider the votes as they come, and won’t commit to anything. Not to propping Trudeau up, and not to bringing him down.

Well, sure. Okay. But. To say that voting non-confidence is "on the table" for each measure suggests that the converse can also be true: that not voting non-confidence must also be "on the table" in each successive measure.

And then we got wind of an email circulated to NDP staff that read: "We will approach every vote on its own merit."

M’kay, wait.

Hold up.

Choosing to cast your alms on each measure on its own merit — including on confidence motions — like, ladies and gentlemen of the NDP, I regret to inform you that that is effectively the status quo. That's literally the understanding by which the current Parliament continues to abide.

Singh could always sign a supply agreement that commits to support government motions, even on a case-by-case basis, but there's nothing that binds any party to such an agreement beyond personal honour. And as we saw on Wednesday, CASA can, and always could be, ignored or disregarded by either party at any time.

The only thing the CASA is, or ever was, good for was to ensure the Liberals a stable government by securing an agreement from the NDP to vote in tandem with the Liberals on confidence motions. So if the NDP is "ripping up" a gentlemens’ agreement and yet still saying it will support confidence motions as it sees fit, well, nothing has materially changed.

Except for the fact that I'm starting to consider the possibility that Jagmeet Singh is bad at politics.

I mean, think about this.

We at The Line have long pointed out that CASA was a bad deal for the NDP. It earned the party only a few piecemeal spending concessions like two-treatment Pharmacare and a half-baked dental program. It's the Liberals who will, and have, taken full credit for both.

Meanwhile, Singh has lost all credibility as a government critic. What blows he can level at the Liberals are fatally undermined by the fact that he's supported them for years. If the Liberals are complacent in enabling corporate greed, then Singh is demonstrably an enabler of a government that is "too weak, too selfish and too beholden to corporate interest to fight for people"?

I realize that nobody in Liberal-land is going to take this advice seriously, but I'm going to offer it anyway. On its current trajectory, Canada is heading toward a two-party system. Either the Liberals are going to eat the NDP, or the NDP is going to eat the Liberals. Until Wednesday, I put my money on the latter. Now, I'm not so sure.

If the Liberals maintain any existential instinct at all, they'd call Singh's bluff. Drop the writ on a party that's demonstrably unprepared to fight the battle it's proclaimed. Eat the left, and survive to fight on another day. The meal is right there for the taking.

Singh’s big announcement about "ripping up" CASA — meep meep — gains him absolutely nothing. What additional leverage can he expect to acquire in a post-CASA parliament that he didn't already possess?

Perhaps Wednesday's announcement was merely a gambit to soothe internal problems, or distance himself from the Liberals. Okay, fine. This might be a viable strategy if it buys Singh a few months to trash Trudeau and raise funds off the effort while frantically trying to wash off the stinky stain of hypocrisy.

But what's going to happen when the Liberals face their next confidence motion, presumably as soon as the Conservatives can arrange one? What happens at the next one, and the next one after that?

What credibility can Singh possibly hope to maintain if he votes for the Liberals, again? How in the world is the NDP seriously going to claim to have ripped up CASA while effectively acting as if it is in a CASA? The NDP cannot credibly distance itself from the sitting government while spending the next year propping up said government again and again and again in successive confidence motions. Especially after such a brazen display of pulling out of the deal.

No. They’re going to have to pull the trigger, and soon. Obviously. Clearly.

Singh sees this.

Right?

----------

Right?

Jen Gerson, writing in The Line, says ...

I realize that nobody in Liberal-land is going to take this advice seriously, but I'm going to offer it anyway. On its current trajectory, Canada is heading toward a two-party system. Either the Liberals are going to eat the NDP, or the NDP is going to eat the Liberals. Until Wednesday, I put my money on the latter. Now, I'm not so sure.
Neither the NDP nor Liberals are going to make it out of the next election without being decimated, but neither will they be obliterated. I think the author is discounting the core of each party that will stand fast no matter the party's performance. They may be reduced to an insignificant rump, but that also happened to the Conservatives once.

It might actually be the best time for them to move. They are already behind the others, being dragged down by close association/ties to an unpopular government. A four year term to rebuild and separate themselves from the LPC might just be what they need, if any of them are thinking beyond this upcoming

BC, Sask and NB are due for provincial elections in October. Unlike other parties, the NDP is pretty well one unit, between federal and provincial. While not sharing the same war chest, they do share the same election volunteers, riding offices, resources, etc. The provinces would not appreciate Singh taking all that for a federal election and leaving them nothing for their provincial elections. Singh will have to wait until the provincial elections are settled and the volunteers have had a break before he brings down the government and puts it all back in motion. The next provincial election is NS in July 2025. So maybe after the Christmas parliamentary furlough?

Every question answered starting with "We've ended/ torn up/ ripped up/ finished/ etc the agreement with the liberals. Then launches into a condemnation of liberal or conservative corporate greed.

If the corporate greed angle is all he has to run on, he's in big trouble.

Neither the NDP nor Liberals are going to make it out of the next election without being decimated, but neither will they be obliterated. I think the author is discounting the core of each party that will stand fast no matter the party's performance. They may be reduced to an insignificant rump, but that also happened to the Conservatives once.
I disagree. Decimation is losing 10%. They’re fixing to get smoked a lot worse than that.

If the corporate greed angle is all he has to run on, he's in big trouble.
Speaking of corporate greed people sure gets up in arms when (pick whatever company) releases their earnings for the quarter. "OH THOSE GREEDY BASTARDS - TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS ."
People don't realized that government can't run a business and those that are talented enough are doing it quite well without interference from "do gooders"
Rampant unchecked capitalism is terrible (deadly in fact) BUT government run business is far far worse. (Soviet Union, Cuba, N Korea).

Speaking of corporate greed people sure gets up in arms when (pick whatever company) releases their earnings for the quarter. "OH THOSE GREEDY BASTARDS - TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS ."
People don't realized that government can't run a business and those that are talented enough are doing it quite well without interference from "do gooders"
Rampant unchecked capitalism is terrible (deadly in fact) BUT government run business is far far worse. (Soviet Union, Cuba, N Korea).
Yup. Most of us depend on that corporate greed due to how CPP and potentially pension funds are invested. Corporate greed and resultant growth generates jobs, so long as public policy is such that it incentivizes reinvestment over cash hoarding. While it can absolutely have serious excesses, and a reasonable regulatory framework is needed to curb the worst of them, we want companies that employ Canadians to make money,

Back