• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry.....what Do You like About it? And what is your weapon of choice?

• Thread starter newfoundlander
  • Start date
I haven't heard anything about the 50's being phased out in theater. We just signed for some 50's for our pl, to take over.

Heh... things take time in the CF..... some things take a long time, a very long time.  Some no time at all.
Regardless of what some may thing, the great majority of soldiers today have a lot of respect for the .50Cal That beautiful BIG HMG

Glad to see some of the younger soldiers like the .50 HMG. You know that those of you who served in Afghanistan NEED to tell your Chain of Command that its not obsolete, no matter what the geniuses at NDHQ think. Besides, it's one heck of weapon that every infanteer should know how to use.
The point about the oil can on the 50....that is so true. I've done that myself. Same with the C6.
I don't know if you were using the Quick Change Barrel,were you?
We used the old barrels, and did complete headspace and timing for every barrel change, as per the pam. This is not ideal in a combat situation, however if your MGs are sited in pairs (principle) you have a few options if you are not using the QCB:
1. Mark the barrels where the head space is correct ie a distinct mark. The armorers may have a bit of a fit, but its the crews lives at stake, not the wpns tech;
2. The gun controller has to time the fire so weapons don't need to change barrels at the same time;
3. Local protection from come riflemen is a MUST.

:cdn:

The .50 cal ummm bring back memories,  great weapon and you got to love the sound of it and the nice show when firing tracers and armoured piercing round.  Served 10 years of my 27 year career with the vandoos and enjoyed every minute of it.

Remember when the go gauge goes and the NO GO gauge do :crybaby:n't go...but if the go goes and the no go goes...... :crybaby: :cdn:

Learnt the 50 the old fashioned way.... headspace and all... Wasn't so bad!

I did my MG course 10 yrs ago we had the quick change barrels then.I hope I see and use the 50 in Afghanistan.I like shooting it on the tripod and vehicle mounted not a fan on the RWS.

Question: What is the QCB like? As good as advertised?

Now all we have to do is get our Pioneers and Mortar Pls back.....where they rightfully belong!!

Oldsolduer..
Quick change barels work OK.
Certainly a lot easier than mucking around with your timing guage or a disintegrating link to do same.....

Pioneers?... - the Pioneers didn't come to the Engineers when the trade was wraped up.  You'll have to grow your own resource out of what you've got.

as former R031 i learned to enjoy  the C1A1  ( i think the number was 3L5 358, that  number is still in my head) i enjoyed shooting it, hated carrying for PT. C7 was okay  nice to shoot and better for PT
fired the C5 did not care for it. C6  was fun to shoot , 50 cal was great fun. never fired the c9 live,  or C2
but if i had to pick one to carry into battle I would say  the C7, just because it is lighter tocarry, more rounds down range faster and easy  to get parts for.

i am sure there are better weapons out there but that is the one of choice.

Gotta go with C7 A2 just because im a lefty and the A2 is ampidextrious :threat:

Michael O`Leary said:
The word is ambidextrous, and spell check works for "corprals" too.

Hey maybe he was referring to some sort of aquatic web fingered thingy? 8)

Well to sum up this question  I can only think of a good line form an otherwise bad movie Cuba (1979) .

Maj. Robert Dapes (Sean Connery) a British mercenary and COIN expert is in Havana in 1958 hired to fight Castro. He’s being interviewed by General Bello (Martin Balsam) and Bello asks him what weapon he prefers.

Bello:“Any kind, any type. Whatever you want say and we’ll get it for you.”

Dapes: “Brains.”

brad16 said:
Gotta go with C7 A2 just because im a lefty and the A2 is ampidextrious :threat:

Brad, since the FIRST C7 came out of Diemaco in the mid 80's, with the US designed M16A2 upper, with case deflector for south paws. Its nothing new. Without the case deflector, you would be getting hot little suprises each time you squeezed the trigger.

The other lefty add ons are superfluous.

WRT the evolution of the M16 FOW, in my opinion the A2 is a step back in many ways.

6 months TI and you got your jump wings??

Wesley  Down Under said:
6 months TI and you got your jump wings??

Cadets most likely. I like some aspects of the C7A2 (collapsible butt stock) but others are junk. The ambidextrous magazine release is nothing but problems for right handed people. Every time you sling your rifle behind you to do a task (search someone, administer first aid, carry something etc) the magazine release is struck and you turf your mag. The triad rail system is total JUNK, and the C79 still has all of the issues it has always had. Finally why did we retain the 20in barrel length?

All in all I like the C8A2

Back