• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry.....what Do You like About it? And what is your weapon of choice?

• Thread starter newfoundlander
  • Start date
The SR-25 Mk11 Mod0 package is a much better system than the AR10 - even inthe newer Armalite AR10T etc renditions.

Putting a Masterkey (shotgun) on an AR is foolish they are much better as a standalone. I used the KAC Masterkey on an M4A1 and can say it does neither job well, as it slows the M4 for CQB and is awkward to use a breaching tool.

Question:

The scope that is usually put on the C7 is it a night vision sight? or is it just a regular sight?

and which is better:

C7A1 or m16 a2? because they look almost the same

It‘s a wobbly fragile 3.4x optical scope with a tritium light sight post - not night vision though it can help resolving images in the dark.

In terms of quality, the C7A1 is probably a better rifle - having full-automatic capability means that it can help lay down an immense amount of fire if needed... but it‘s rare that one would have it off of semi-auto (the "R" setting on the selector switch for "repetition", the bilingual term) anyhow.

It‘s oft-claimed that Diemaco made a variety of improvements to the basic M-16/AR-15 design, but I‘ve never myself seen any sort of detailed list of things they changed to make it any better a weapon.

Significantly, the C7 "family" is used by more NATO nations than any other rifle. Now that‘s a useless piece of trivia.

so is the C7 better without the scope? because its wobbly? (ouch my mouth hurts, just went to the dentist)

Properly zeroed and torqued to **** , the sight isn‘t a bad thing for the C7, though in battle I‘d just as soon pop the iron sights onto it and work with them. I‘m a small arms trainer simulator operator for my unit, and if extensive experimentation I‘ve found that troops who learn to use iron sights properly tend to shoot better at 100m and 200m ranges, though the optics then to help beyond that.

That said, we don‘t have the proper sights for the SATS system, there are special ones that have a shorter focal length to make them work properly with the 18m length of the range.

I think the sights have a practical application but instinctive shooting is the skill that really counts, and practice at that is the most important way to enhance skill-at-arms.

Of course, this is all my opinion and not based on any real fact other than my own observation.

Shotgun.
Because if I am using that then we are in close.
Quite a rush. What is around the corner?
Also, MP-5 or Sig 9mm for the same purpose.
Good fun.

Im a cadet so my expirence is OBVIOUSLY limited. I always wanted to get my hands on a C-9. I know it‘s only a LMG and everyone seems to be talking about GPMGs, but it looks interesting. I have fired the C7 and I can tell you, after shooting a tiny little .22 for 5 years, it felt really nice. But thats just me.

In my experience, I‘d have to go w/ the C7. When I went in, I had previous bias towards the C2, but I got over that quickly enough. I found the C7 to be a good companion. I shot marksman and I adjusted to the Elcan, although I‘d have preferred the option for iron or an Aimpoint, situation depending. Only gripe, I never figured out how to control full auto. No matter what I tried, that barrel just jumps up. On the hip is about it, but that wasn‘t exactly accurate. Thing is, full auto isn‘t meant for accuracy at range, it‘s CQB, so who‘s counting. I‘m just being anal.

I‘m interested in a few others though, the AK‘s seem to still be the kings of the field in terms of abuse and neglect. Anyone can pick one up and use it, which explains the popularity of these things around the world. I‘ve heard good things of the Steyr‘s, always interested in Bullpup designs. I‘d like to play with an Enfield SA89 one day, at the range, doubt I‘d want to rely on it. H&K make‘s excellent products, like to try some of those rifles also. I‘m also curious about the Galil‘s, like to try those. Basically, I have a shopping list of arms I‘d like to experiment with. But I‘ll keep it realistic. (I have a few Ferraris‘ I‘d like to take out this weekend, but my ‘89 Saab will have to do)

I like the C7, I‘m following the replacement with interest. I‘m all for a 16" carbine as has been suggested. I wasn‘t armoured, so I didn‘t get a chance to try a C8, but I liked them. Maybe something along the lines of the US M4 is a good way to go. We‘ll be using M16 variants for years, I doubt we‘ll be getting OICW‘s in the near future (doubt I‘d want it anyway).

I‘ve shot the Steyr AUG, and it‘s a nice rifle, very light, little recoil, very compact and ergonomic design, and resonably accurate. Only gripe is that the controls (mag release, safety, etc.) aren‘t well placed, but it may just have been that I‘m used to using the C7 design where everything is now muscle memory to use.
C8s/M4s are very fun to shoot, much easier to bring it around to a new target than a C7, and much less "in-the-way" when working in tight spaces or monkeying around (climbing into windowsills, on/off the MLacopters, etc).
One rifle I wish the Forces had was a M14. I‘ve shot the civvie variant, and loved it. With a decent scope on it, I think it would be a great asset as a Designated Marksman rifle, integrated into the platoon HQ like the 101st was using it over in Iraq. And unlike a bolt action DM rifle, the M14 could be useful when the **** hits the fan and the DM has to engage fast approaching multiple targets. Best thing is, since it‘s 7.62, the ammo is already a part of a platoon‘s ammo needs (for the C6). It won‘t happen, but it‘s nice to dream about.

I‘ve only used them at the range but I would take a G-3. The fit and feel are great, the recoil no different than a C1 and a great marksman rifles.

Although I‘m looking forward to getting time in on C-7. I like the G-36 better, but have no expereince with it.

Anyone have experience with the SA-80/L85A2 or the Sterling AR-18 assault rifle?

SA80 is a POS. - Nice range gun but heavy and non-robust.

I have shot the AR-18 but not enough to give any valuable feedback.

The infantry comradeship, after remustering after serving 13 yrs in the infantry the first thing I notice was the lack of having your buddies backing you no matter what.

My favourite weapon would have to be C1 and C2, they were alot more dependable than the C7. I was part of the field eval in Gagetown and did a pairs fire and movement range with a C1 while concurrently a c7 pairs fire and movement was going on next to us. The C7 kept jamming (we had to stop several times) due to the mud and Grime, a tech said it had to do with the enclose breach. C1's breech block carreir was not enclosed and if it ever jammed you could give a swift kick from a mark 3 and get it going again, the weapon that passed all evals was a Galil look alike... very dependable, I dont know why we didnt take it. I challenge anyone to a range practice between c1/2 to c7 we used to start shoot to live at 500 meters c1 and I have fired the c2 (single rounds) at 800 meters and was hitting the target. Oh and maybe we didnt have the M203 but we could deliver grenades via the launch attachment and C33 round (yeah i know not practicle) and man you thought the 84 was loud with ear defenders and ear plugs it still made youe ears bleed.

As for tactics with old weapons when M113's would roll forward we dismounted there was no pepper poding (2 RCR) it was simply line up after the section commander linked up and advance firing from the hip C2's were not allowed to have bypods extended so the enemy could not recognize the the automatic weapons nothing like firing 7.62 from the shoulder...small bursts mind you. We had no problems with winter conditions because we would use graphite and one thing I noticed since weapon replacement was no one on a scheduled basis cleans their weapon...What's with that? Now adays you would be lucky to see your weapon once or twice a month. The worst weapon would have to be C5 GPIG and not a forgiving weapon head space and timing was a B*tch.
next 6o mm mortar (sans Bypod)

Take care pro patria

PS I think that each section or platoon should have retain a 7.62 sharp shooter capability...

Cheers

Stewpid said:
The worst weapon would have to be C5 GPIG and not a forgiving weapon head space and timing was a B*tch.

The only good thing about the C-5 GPMG was that occasionally the timing would cause it to play a tune so we could all "guess that song".

I liked the Infantry when I was OP FOR in Iltis's.( I'll not expand, for self preservation purposes ;D)

[size=10pt]The Best weapon out there is a Pissed off Canadian Soldier.
He'll get the Job Done with what he has, or he'll acquire what he needs to get it done!
[/size]

(The Masculine use of He'll, also most definitely implies the Feminine)

Cheers :salute:

I've been lucky enough to shoot both C7 & F88 Steyr, i suppose its all about muscle memory because i'd pick the Steyr over a C7 any day of the week!
The safety is, in my mind, superior to the C7 in terms of placement and ease of use. The magazine release doesnt stuff up and drop mags out if your left handed, its right behind the mag so its easy to use. The sight is fixed and wont lose its zero straight away, also the 1.5x means you still have environmental awareness. The carbine is almost exactly the same as the normal rifle, just with a much shorter barrel. The Steyr AUG is a brilliant, adaptable rifle that does everything thats asked of it and does it well. I also found its buckets easier to carry compared to a C7.
So there you go, my weapon of choice is a F88c, the best little carbine running around.
(I'm not a grunt though)

It is interesting to see this thread reactivated.  My own preferences are based on what I know, and I would suggest that what you like depends on what you are supposed to do.  I had the opportunity to try a G-36 a few years ago at the invitation of the Bundeswehr and I liked it, but I didn't have the chance to do any hard field testing.  It looks to be a fine infantry rifle and it certainly shoots well.  I liked it better that the M-16/C-7 platform weapons that I have tried.  Their MG 3 (new version of MG42) is most pleasant as well.  For close in work I like the Sterling Mk 4 SMG; I like it better than the MP 5 and the MP5 certainly has more sex appeal.  I have always found the Sterling to be a very reliable weapon in all conditions.  The Mossberg 500 series shotguns are also perfectly fun for their role. 

I like the Bren gun Mk 2 as a LMG, though the days of the mag fed LMG are now well past us.  I also like the FN rifle as a battle rifle but mainly because I am terribly comfortable with it; I do accept that the FN C1 A1 is long and it is much easier to carry the light 5.56mm ammunition, and even more importantly, it is easier to transport more of that ammunition in terms of supply.  For a pistol, I am partial to the Glock 22.  If I had to pick one, it would depend very much on what I was expecting to be doing. 

Cheers,

G36 is have a lot of hard times in units that fire them a lot (.mil side)  it was a cost saving venture with German unification to adopt it.

I find no use for a SMG -- unless it is a MP-5SD as the subsonic 9mm has some decent applications.

For a GP carbine 16" barrel (midlength gas) w/ variable power cbt optic (S&B Short Dot in my case)
Iraq-Range26May039.jpg

for a pistol Glock19 w/ X200 SF light -- or a good .45 1911 w/ X200 light  ;).

Back