• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Officers' regimental postings

little jim said:
Having been posted to Edmonton several times, Gagetown, Petawawa and Shilo......
...and there's RSS (or this week's acronym), various schools (where Cbt Arms are always in demand; like RSS, some good, some bad), LFDTS (and other crimes against humanity)......and

.......NDHQ.

Even a 'bad' battalion is still a battalion.  :nod:

...of course, there's OUTCAN too.  ;D

Journeyman said:
...of course, there's OUTCAN too.  ;D

Totally, wildly, "how the hell did I get here?" out of my lane, but my OUTCAN-spidey-sense pingged.  Always, ALWAYS take the OUTCAN option.  :nod:

Now, back to my Aircrew threads....

On PAT in Gagetown right now. From what I've gathered so far, people with just a moderate command of French are being shoved into the Vandoos. A couple guys are even hiding the fact that they speak French, just to avoid being sent there!

ken.w2402 said:
On PAT in Gagetown right now. From what I've gathered so far, people with just a moderate command of French are being shoved into the Vandoos. A couple guys are even hiding the fact that they speak French, just to avoid being sent there!

Yeah... it really sucks to be posted to Valcartier, with Québec City 20 minutes away...  ;)

If you are a single Infantry Soldier, there are 2 places for you: Edmonton or Valcartier. The other places have the same girls playing musical room in the shacks...

I know several anglos who got posted to Valcartier and found girlfriends (later wives) who helped them develop their skills with the French tongue.

Or there's Oromocto.  Your choice.

dapaterson said:
Or there's Oromocto.  Your choice.

Well, it used to be "Canada's Model Town" !!!

Edited to add: maybe it still is...

54.jpg

:eek:

Jungle said:
Yeah... it really sucks to be posted to Valcartier, with Québec City 20 minutes away...  ;)

If you are a single Infantry Soldier, there are 2 places for you: Edmonton or Valcartier. The other places have the same girls playing musical room in the shacks...

Fredericton really isn't a bad city, and Gagetown isn't a bad posting. My appreciation for my time in 2 RCR has been increased due to the years I spent in 1 and 3 RCR. Pembroke and Petawawa really do have little to offer the average single guy. But don't expect anything to change -- last I checked the two infantry battalions with the highest attrition rates were the Edmonton based ones, not the Petawawa battalions, as I would have expected. Evidence suggests that the Petawawa lifestyle is good for retention. Who knew? Maybe kind of a Shawshank effect, after a few years on the Ottawa River, people just can't go back to the outside.

And I too, have heard evidence that the R 22e R, historically the strongest regiment for recruiting and retention, is starting to have problems with manning and is actively recruiting bilingual-capable anglos.

I don't know what the exact causes of any these issues are. I do remember that when I was serving in my last battalion (1 RCR) -- that the infantry as a whole was massively overborne, but that our rifle companies were quite understrength -- I've heard varying stories as to why the gap existed, the best theory being that the PML was never properly expanded when we went from 7 to 9 infantry battalions back in 1995.

Back