• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

direct entry office

KZAR

Reaction score
Hello, I completed my CFAT last week and am currently awaiting my medical exam. I have a few questions and would appreciate any insights or experiences you can share with me.

1. As a direct entry officer, what rank would one hold upon graduating from BMOQ?
  2. Can you explain the process of rank progression in the military? How long it can take to move up as an officer, and what factors go into it?
  3. How are pay increments determined?
  4. What should potential recruits be aware of regarding mental health challenges before joining the military?
Thank you

1. Depends on the occupation that you're joining.
    Rank upon entry into the CAF can be everything from 2nd Lieutenant (Acting Sub-Lieutenant for the Navy) to to Major (Lieutenant-Commander for the Navy).
    We'd need to know what occupations you're considering to give you a better answer
  2. Progression up to the rank of Captain is based on getting courses and having enough time in rank. As long as you complete required courses (different for each occupation) and have time in rank you will automatically be promoted to Captain. Everything past the rank of Captain requires time in rank, courses and is based on merit.
  3. Pay Increments increase on the year mark of having that rank. For example my last promotion was received on 28 October, so each year on the 28th of October I move up another pay increment until I'm at the max level.
  4. Honestly I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with this question.

1. Depends on the occupation that you're joining.
    Rank upon entry into the CAF can be everything from 2nd Lieutenant (Acting Sub-Lieutenant for the Navy) to to Major (Lieutenant-Commander for the Navy).
    We'd need to know what occupations you're considering to give you a better answer
  2. Progression up to the rank of Captain is based on getting courses and having enough time in rank. As long as you complete required courses (different for each occupation) and have time in rank you will automatically be promoted to Captain. Everything past the rank of Captain requires time in rank, courses and is based on merit.
  3. Pay Increments increase on the year mark of having that rank. For example my last promotion was received on 28 October, so each year on the 28th of October I move up another pay increment until I'm at the max level.
  4. Honestly I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with this question.
Hello, I am currently in Halifax and completed my CFAT test on August 28. I've applied for positions as a Logistics Officer, Artillery Officer, and Air Combat System Officer.

The recruiting center informed me that the medical examination would be scheduled within a month after the CFAT test. However, despite following up twice in the past three months, I haven't received any updates. The response has consistently been to be patient as things are in progress.

I am concerned about potential issues with my application. Although I was not born in Canada, I moved here at the age of 18, and I became a Canadian citizen in 2019. I've only had one international trip to Europe last year since moving to Canada.

While I understand that the security check might take longer due to my non-Canadian birth, I'm uncertain why the medical examination is experiencing delays. After the CFAT, I was informed that the test went well, and I was eligible to proceed to the medical exam.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience or has knowledge about the typical timelines in this process.

Additionally, I have questions about the scenario where an applicant makes it to the competition list but doesn't secure their preferred trade. Are there alternative options or offers in such cases?

Thank you for any insights or information you can provide.

As per the responses on the other post you made of the same exact same query: medical test timeline
If you are offered a trade that was not your first pick, you can close to accept it or refuse it. If you accept it, you could have a long and prosperous career in said trade (or not). If you refuse, you go back to the bottom of the list and ope they offer you your other choice. Ideally by the time you make it to the competition list, you will know what trades you qualified for (as you will have interviewed for those positions) and will know you are being put on the competition list for those trades. DO NOT accept a trade you do not want. It is possible that an OT may be refused in the future.
The medical test could be experiencing delays because the medical recruiter might not be available. Usually there is a max of 2 medical recruiters doing the medicals. Each one of these could take easily 1 hour to complete, depending on the complexity of the history of the applicant. These appointments are typically booked days/weeks ahead, and the medical recruiter has a write up to do for each applicant prior to sending the file to Ottawa. Similar to what your doctor does between each patient, they write down what happened during the encounter. This also takes time.
Lastly we are coming up to silly season for the CAF, with lots of seasonal forced fun taking up mandatory chunk of our schedule. It's possible your appt won't be booked until January. This won't affect anything in the long run.
In the future please only ask your query in one location (it's also best to learn this before joining the CAF).

My two cents:

Every single complication basically adds more time.

• Haven't been living in Canada continuously for five consecutive years? Add another 3-6 months.
  • Your spouse isn't a citizen? Add another 3-6 months.
  • You own property overseas? Add another 3-6 months.
  • Got into some trouble when you were young? Add another 3-6 months.
  • Still driving on your G2? Add another 3-6 months.
  • Visited china/iran/russia/etc. in the last 10 years? Add another 3-6 months.
  • Ran your own business? Add another 3-6 months.
  • Still have another passport? Add another 3-6 months.
  • Weren't born in Canada? Add another 3-6 months.
  • Not a citizen? Add another 3-6 months.
  • Went to school outside of Canada? Add another 3-6 months.

Some of this stuff can be done in parallel, some is done at the recruiting centre, some is done by the clicks of a few buttons, some may never be done, some can be done expedited and in parallel but whatever company CAF has contracted to do their background checks charges extra money for that. The CAF has a set of processes and procedures, and one (or more organizations) have SLAs (Service Level Agreements) to provide responses should particular checks / verifications be required. There is no incentive for a contracted entity (government or otherwise) to do things any faster than those stated SLAs.

This has nothing to do with the CAF. Due to years of funding cuts to specific areas, much of the process has been outsourced, which means that the function to conduct these background checks really can't be re-learned in-house anymore, especially at scale. So let's say the CAF COC says we need to ramp up background checks, then the contracted companies will say: "That'll cost ya...". Any change requests cost a shitload of money.

My guess is unless you have a relative high up the COC you will never get an expedited background check/security clearance. Whatever country you have lived also will take their sweet time to send the letter of good conduct / certificate of clearance / police records check / whatever. Ironically you could probably do all the foreign security clearances faster yourself, but the CAF won't take them.

Again, just my thoughts - I have no clear reality on what actually happens. I am just using my experience from the private sector to make an educated guess.

My two cents:

My guess is unless you have a relative high up the COC you will never get an expedited background check/security clearance.
Your relatives have nothing to do with whether your background check and security clearance get done faster. In fact if you have a relative that is high up in the CoC that could slow things down since you could be vulnerable for security purposes.

The CAF is a job, just a very different job. The process that’s a whole. Deal with it.

Your relatives have nothing to do with whether your background check and security clearance get done faster. In fact if you have a relative that is high up in the CoC that could slow things down since you could be vulnerable for security purposes.

The CAF is a job, just a very different job. The process that’s a whole. Deal with it.
Thanks for your sage advice.

I am not complaining at all and "deal with it" is something I am doing, I could care less how long it takes - and am in a very rewarding job, it's just a process - I assure you I understand that.

Working in private sector Big 4 Consulting; specifically at optimizing public sector processes, I'm well aware at how ridiculously slow they are and how lucrative the contracts are to optimize those processes.

The ultimate understanding is that the private sector process for getting security clearance is exponentially faster than the CAF process for getting security clearance.

Reminds me of a quote from one of my favourite movies: "I like consulting. No, I love it. Love it. And I'll say this for it: "Private business is efficient." There, I've said it. F*cking cliché. And the CIA is like, what, a 30-billion-dollar-a-year business, so anybody who wants to sell anything, a pencil, a computer, they gotta interface through a security clearance. Don't give me s*it. I got two kids in college and we're doing our kitchen."

(Syriana)

Still driving on your G2? Add another 3-6 months.
sarahsmom already handled my first eyebrow raise, so my second one is this one... not sure what having a G1, G2 or G has to do with a background check? although all provinces have a graduated license system, it's not necessarily G1/G2, in BC I think it's Class 7 / class 5, same with Alberta, but the middle level is different in each province... all that to say your license shouldn't have a bearing on your background check.

some occupations may require you to have a license which could slow you down (MP I think is required, Med Tech used to be - but was removed as a requirement although the CFRC's still ask for a license).

sarahsmom already handled my first eyebrow raise, so my second one is this one... not sure what having a G1, G2 or G has to do with a background check? although all provinces have a graduated license system, it's not necessarily G1/G2, in BC I think it's Class 7 / class 5, same with Alberta, but the middle level is different in each province... all that to say your license shouldn't have a bearing on your background check.

some occupations may require you to have a license which could slow you down (MP I think is required, Med Tech used to be - but was removed as a requirement although the CFRC's still ask for a license).
Is cool. As mentioned I have no idea and theoretically neither should anyone else. I’m not too concerned with how much time this takes since during the time it has already taken I’ve found a job which pays me a Colonel’s salary.

At most I might sign up for the reserves if my job allows me.

Back