• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In Flanders Field

Ammo

Inactive
Reaction score
Came across this poster. Time to remember.

Beautiful.

Thank you and lets not forget any of those who have gone before us.

Except for that "from Montreal" thing...... :mad:

Credit given where credit is due, you're right Lieutenant-Colonel David McCrae "Born in Guelph, Ontario, on November 30, 1872". Check out http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=history/firstwar/mccrae

Ammo said:
Credit given where credit is due, you're right Lieutenant-Colonel David John McCrae "Born in Guelph, Ontario, on November 30, 1872". Check out http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=history/firstwar/mccrae

His homestead is just around the corner from my family homestead and a must see in Guelph.

The afternoon tea socials are almost always sold out and the 'John McCrae House Blend' is one of the nicest teas you will ever drink.

I'm a volunteer tour guide at the University of Guelph - and part of our tour guide training states that the infamous "cannon" on campus, "Might have been used in the War of 1812".  Being an ardent history student and someone who has read the book "The College on the Hill" - I don't need to rely on our crappy training, and know that "the cannon" was originally used by the local artillery and officer training units before the First World War.  This includes the time when LCol McCrae was the head instructor, and would have drilled his young pupils on the gun.  My tours always get that story rather than the less interesting "might have been used in 1812".

As for McCrae House itself, I'm going to make the pilgrimage this year (hopefully this week if I can find the time), as its something I've been meaning to do for a long while.

They shall grow not old.  :salute:

Lieutenant-Colonel McCrae is not buried in Flanders Fields as is suggested by the poster. He is buried in Wimereux, in the Pas de Calais region of France.  He died there after succumbing to pneumonia and meningitis. 

Flanders, as we all likely know, is in Belgium. McCrae served there from 1915 to 1916.  Early in his servicein Flanders, he wrote the poem while sitting near a close comrade's freshly dug grave (Lt Alexis Helmer of the Royal Canadian Artillery).  Lt Helmer's grave was later lost, and his name is commemorated on the Menin Gate memorial.

BB

Back