• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is an estranged father considered immediate family member?

ReviewSheet

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm just going through the online application and I came across the question regarding my foreign background. I'm a citizen who came to Canada when I was 9 but have never left Canada since (over a decade) and I've indicated as such on my application. However, the question raised was whether I had any 'immediate family members' outside Canada. I have an estranged father who was never involved with my life and rarely saw even before I came to Canada, I am not sure whether I should list him as an immediate family member considering I have no relation with him except by blood. The thing I am worried about is being asked to provide information regarding him because I genuinely have no information. Any input would be nice, thanks in advance!

Technically yes your father is considered an immediate family member, even estranged as you are. You can let a recruiter know when you go in for your CFAT about you and your father being estranged and you not having any contact with him since you came to Canada.
Immediate family: parents, siblings, children. Extended family: grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins.

Hi there, I'm just going through the online application and I came across the question regarding my foreign background. I'm a citizen who came to Canada when I was 9 but have never left Canada since (over a decade) and I've indicated as such on my application. However, the question raised was whether I had any 'immediate family members' outside Canada. I have an estranged father who was never involved with my life and rarely saw even before I came to Canada, I am not sure whether I should list him as an immediate family member considering I have no relation with him except by blood. The thing I am worried about is being asked to provide information regarding him because I genuinely have no information. Any input would be nice, thanks in advance!
Yes, your father is considered "immediate family" regardless of if you have contact with them. If you do not know where they are, state so when completing your security clearance application.

Not properly disclosing information can lead to being denied a security clearance.

Hey mate! I was in a similar situation, not in contact with my father and he lives outside Canada. I put him on my Pre Security Clearance but I had a conversation with my mother that she's my legal guardian. When I had my interview, I did let the Captain who did my interview that I was estranged and there was no contact along with my mother being my legal guardian, and I'm not sure if changes were made or anything was done about it. I'd say honestly get in touch with a recruiter and ask them to see what they would say but like how Winds said your father is considered immediate family regardless of contact.

Thank you :)

Hey mate! I was in a similar situation, not in contact with my father and he lives outside Canada. I put him on my Pre Security Clearance but I had a conversation with my mother that she's my legal guardian. When I had my interview, I did let the Captain who did my interview that I was estranged and there was no contact along with my mother being my legal guardian, and I'm not sure if changes were made or anything was done about it. I'd say honestly get in touch with a recruiter and ask them to see what they would say but like how Winds said your father is considered immediate family regardless of contact.

Thank you :)
Thanks for the reply, I'll reach out to my recruiter. Have they told you whether you'll be subjected to that lengthy screening process?

Thanks for the reply, I'll reach out to my recruiter. Have they told you whether you'll be subjected to that lengthy screening process?
I'm done with the Pre sec as I sent the paperwork in Sept 2023 and I got the results back in January 2024, when I was told that it was completed, I was booked for my interview and medical for Feb 1st 2024, and I got my medical cleared on the 7th so now I believe I'm on the Reliability Screening which can take from a month to 24 months according to my File Manager and that they have no control over how quickly it returns so just waiting for that to be completed before I get the enrollment instructions, there's a possibility that I will be going for full-time summer training or might start in the fall depending on how things go.

I'm done with the Pre sec as I sent the paperwork in Sept 2023 and I got the results back in January 2024, when I was told that it was completed, I was booked for my interview and medical for Feb 1st 2024, and I got my medical cleared on the 7th so now I believe I'm on the Reliability Screening which can take from a month to 24 months according to my File Manager and that they have no control over how quickly it returns so just waiting for that to be completed before I get the enrollment instructions, there's a possibility that I will be going for full-time summer training or might start in the fall depending on how things go.
Wow that's quite long even for the pre sec. Also reading your previous posts it seems we have an oddly similar situation even down to geographical location haha. I am personally applying as a reservist infanteer with (hopefully) the 48th Highlanders. Also, from my own research, it seems the longest part of your process (pre sec) is probably completed as they should have reached out to the foreign countries regarding your foreign implications. Fingers crossed you don't have to wait longer. I'd love to keep in touch as I am interested in your timeline as well.

Wow that's quite long even for the pre sec. Also reading your previous posts it seems we have an oddly similar situation even down to geographical location haha. I am personally applying as a reservist infanteer with (hopefully) the 48th Highlanders. Also, from my own research, it seems the longest part of your process (pre sec) is probably completed as they should have reached out to the foreign countries regarding your foreign implications. Fingers crossed you don't have to wait longer. I'd love to keep in touch as I am interested in your timeline as well.
I was going into the 48th Highlander but I switched to Toronto Scots even tho its slightly further for me, I really hope your application is much smoother than mine, but honestly we may end up meeting since you'll also be doing your BMQ at Fort York or Moss Park hoping your application takes less time! Feel free to DM and ask questions honestly :)

Back