• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Tollis said:
Has anyone else noticed the HUGE flags we get to wear on the ICU.  They are about the same size as the American flags on their ACU's

Yea,  I noticed that in the powerpoint on the uniform,  the large 2x4inch flag on the right arm. 

Not a big fan of velcro everything on that uniform(no more buttons for pockets,  all velcro, etc).  Plus the massive velcro patches on the sleeve pockets,  IMO we should just keep it simple like on the USMC Marpat uniforms and have a 2x2inch square on the pocket flap for a IR square.  Not sure how I feel about the zippers on sleeve and chest pockets,  I liked the velcro closure on the sleeve pockets(ie AR combats/Afghanistan pocket mod). 

Does anyone know if the buttons going down the front of the combat shirt were removed and replaced with a zipper or velcro?  Seems like the new combats are anti buttons.  I am hoping those buttons will at least remain.

Skeletor

Does anyone know if the buttons going down the front of the combat shirt were removed and replaced with a zipper or velcro?  Seems like the new combats are anti buttons.  I am hoping those buttons will at least remain.

Email me, I have the PDF doc with all the détails.

Do the 'new' combat shirts that some people are getting issued with pockets on the sleeves have velcro on the pockets?

FusMR said:
Skeletor

Email me, I have the PDF doc with all the détails.

I have the pdf as well(unless there is a more recent one released?) maybe I'm missing it,  but I don't recall seeing any mention of if the front buttons are still on or if it has been replaced by something else.

Last I heard, yep, buttons on front.  I also heard that the collar was to low on the neck.  It give the impression to be pull forward.  But to take with a big grain of salt...

We have a winner - this from the DND Info-machine:
The Honourable Bernard Valcourt, Associate Minister of National Defence and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency) (La Francophonie) and the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, today announced that the Government of Canada awarded a contract valued at $8.5 million to Peerless Garments, of Winnipeg, Manitoba, for the procurement of enhanced combat uniforms for the Canadian Forces (CF).

(....)

The contract was awarded following a competitive procurement process and requires the supplier to use Canadian-made textiles and to manufacture the uniforms in Canada. The contract is expected to create 15 jobs in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

(....)

The CF are fitted with the highly sophisticated Canadian Disruptive Pattern uniform which is scientifically designed and specifically adapted to the field environment. This uniform continues to serve CF members well in the conduct of their missions at home and abroad.

Substantial improvements to the current uniform have been proposed and analyzed by the CF. These improvements, in response to feedback from CF members who are wearing this uniform in the field, will enhance comfort and protection, while improving the fit of combat uniforms for maximum operational effectiveness.

Under this contract, Peerless Garments will produce approximately 45 000 trousers and jackets in the Canadian Disruptive Pattern Temperate Woodland pattern. The contract also includes three options for additional quantities of trousers and jackets in either the Canadian Disruptive Pattern Temperate Woodland or Canadian Disruptive Pattern Arid patterns, which could potentially bring the contract value up to $34 million.

Improvements have been made to 17 specific areas of the uniform. These improvements include the addition of a Mandarin-style collar, flat chest pockets, arms and pen pockets on the sleeves and legs, Velcro attachments on the sleeve and ankle cuffs, integrated kneepads, as well as the removal of drawstrings on the trousers. The enhanced combat uniform will be distributed to combat units first, and will, over time, be distributed to the entire CF.

45,000 complete uniforms? They're missing a zero.

Thankfully the contract is at least approved, and guys wearing CADPAT lingerie can have it replaced.

Excellent news! Here's hoping the R2HR units get them issued soon... another set of combats, (replaced very recently) fell victim to Maple Lion 2012... running out of combats in good repair and stores is running out of viable sizes to replace with.

MPMick said:
Excellent news! Here's hoping the R2HR units get them issued soon... another set of combats, (replaced very recently) fell victim to Maple Lion 2012... running out of combats in good repair and stores is running out of viable sizes to replace with.

Yep...my field set is gettinng to a pretty sad state, even for a field set and the second set isn't too far behind it. I've seen lots of the new/interim shirts around, but no one ever seems to have new pants.

If you really need new pant sizes, apparently if you gain a huge amount of weight (not muscle) and have a ridicolous large size, they have those enormous sizes in stock. Sorry, best suggestion I could come up with.

ArmyRick said:
If you really need new pant sizes, apparently if you gain a huge amount of weight (not muscle) and have a ridicolous large size, they have those enormous sizes in stock. Sorry, best suggestion I could come up with.

Yes I suppose that IS a Course of Action. Not an ideal one but......

PuckChaser said:
45,000 complete uniforms? They're missing a zero.
Probably not.  As the initial plan was stated, this is an O&M purchase to put replacement & initial issue uniforms on supply shelves.  If your current issued combat uniform is still in good condition, you will continue to wear it and it will not be exchanged.  Exceptions will/may be made for pers deploying on operations in a temperate uniform. 

Bump with the latest from the Info-machine:
After 18 months of testing and operational user feedback, production has begun on the Enhanced Combat Uniform for Canadian soldiers.

This product improvement to the combat uniforms includes more than 20 changes which will allow for greater comfort, enhanced protection and greater integration with personal protective equipment, allowing soldiers to more effectively train and perform their duties while deployed.

Some of the major changes are:
•a flexible Mandarin-style collar;
•integrated soft kneepads;
•flat pockets and zippers to avoid pressure points;
•an action-back for increased range of motion; and
•a flexible waist for improved fit.

“The uniforms are better integrated with the rest of the combat equipment while increasing comfort and providing greater wearing options adaptable to the environment a soldier is deployed in,” says Major Stéphane Dufour of the Director of Land Requirements’ Soldier Systems Requirements section. For example, the integrated soft knee pads provide protection in and outside a vehicle. The flat chest pocket style also removes any pressure points while wearing ballistic protection and fragmentation vests ....

"Getting it in batches will allow us to make new improvements based on feedback we get."

Here's some feedback - should have contracted with Crye Precision....

signalsguy said:
"Getting it in batches will allow us to make new improvements based on feedback we get."

Here's some feedback - should have contracted with Crye Precision....

And have 24-36 month lead times with Crye, only to have the uniforms fall apart once they start being used in the field?
http://kitup.military.com/2011/08/marsoc-crye-uniforms-not-holding-up.html
http://kitup.military.com/2011/09/aussies-facing-same-pant-problems.html

Back