• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IAP/BOTC and Running

FSGT Lampkin

Inactive
Reaction score
So before anyone poops down my throat (i may have just made that phrase up.....i dont think anyone says "poop down my throat" lol) i did do a search on this but was just getting BMQ results and as a newb on these forms wasn't sure how the "running" stuff differs.

While im sure the more i run from now till summer the better, im just wondering how much running i can be expecting to be doing per day/week and the distance they build you up to before that 13km forced march at IAP for RMC cadets.

Thanks a bunch i advance

Running: Count on 5km 2-3 times a week. Depending on your staff you will run more often and/or do sprints or calisthenics instead. Also from what I've heard the Jan-April course doesn't run as much because of weather instead you go inside and do sports or run the indoor track.

13km - Unless you are grossly out of shape or have a very small stature (5'5 and smaller) it will be no problem. All the wandering around Farnham more than prepares you for this.

I just finished BOTP. We ran 5-8 km 4-5 times a week. This was in the bitter months of January, February and March. Some other plattoons never ran. It depends on your DS.

Good luck.

I would have thought the PT would be a bit more standardized throughout the BMQ - IAP/BOTC courses. I have a hard time believeing that some platoons never ran - not that I'm doubting the truth of what you say, it just seems a very haphazard approach to training. When I enlisted in 88 running was a daily thing, on TQ3 same, when we hit battalion, running or ruckmarching every other day. If some platoons never ran they must have at least done circut training??

Physical Training is not assessed on BOTP, so it is at the course staff's discretion on the frequency and intensity.
My course ran 4-5 mornings a week.  Other courses at the same time ran, marched, played sports.  It's just a reason to practice the routine, because at that point you should already be at an acceptable physical level.

Well for my platoon there was a big difference between BOTP and IAP. IAP was 2-3 times a week max. BOTP was 4-5 but that only keeps up for 3 weeks then you go to farnham and following that it's grad week. They are not assessing you physically, but getting up at 450 and running makes the death by powerpoint days really, really long.

It definitely depends on your staff though. One platoon was notorious for coming outside and doing 1 lap or simply running back into the mega because their staff was "sick". However, when you get a good rivalry going morning PT can actually be fun.

I'm beginning to fear the "death by powerpoint" much more than the physical aspect. The running will get easier all the time and will make you feel better. Having a powerpoint presentation at 4 in the afternoon on ethics or regimental history after no sleep - thats just cruel. 

Uberman said:
I'm beginning to fear the "death by powerpoint" much more than the physical aspect. The running will get easier all the time and will make you feel better. Having a powerpoint presentation at 4 in the afternoon on ethics or regimental history after no sleep - thats just cruel.  

Ahhhh, I remember the days of "death by OHP" fondly.  During my BOTC we came off a three day exercise with none or very little sleep and had to take a catchup class in military writing at 1600 hrs on a Friday in an airless and cramped classroom.  All I could think about was the electric stink from the very old overhead projector and if it caught on fire maybe I would final get to sleep.  The good old days.

Mental picture - Wainwright - middle of August - 3pm on an otherwise innocuous Tuesday - just did the practise run for the Commandant's Run, (I think 10k in full webbing etc.) sitting in a room on the second floor listening to our Platoon Commander explain to us the significance of Lord Hamilton Gault and how Lady Patricia came to be our commader in chief. I think I still have the black notebooks we were issued to take notes on in my old m67 grenade box. Didn't have powerpoint back then, but then again they threw chalk at you if you fell asleep - then told you to stand up.

Towards the end of my course, the Wal-Mart and several other pharmacies sold out of "Wake-Ups" caffeine tabs.

Coincidence?

Also the seated pee dance will keep you fairly awake.

Pee dance, - that sounds like it could have some very embarressing consequences if it fails.

Back