• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to wash a Beret?

jk806

Inactive
Reaction score
My Beret got Soaked in the rain the other day and now I can't Get that wet dog smell out. Just wondering how to get it clean with out distroying it. Any tips will help.

Thanks

If you're really adventureous, you could "wash" it in Zero or Woolite.  By washing I mean,  fill the kitchen sink with a little bit of the liquid, make some bubbles and swish your beret in it a bit. Don't be really rough with it or wring it out.  Remove and rinse in cold water, lay out on towel to dry or to soak up most of the moisture. Then drape over the edge of the table to get that nice hang to the side of the beret for the rest of the drying time. (That last bit is a tip from a fashion plate Sgt I know.)  Or option 3 take it to the drycleaners.

Get a wash Basin.  Pour some naptha in it and then dunk your beret in it.  It will take out all the dirt.  Hang it up to dry in a windy place, and it should dry in no time at all. 

Warning:  DO NOT SMOKE at any time during this process and keep away from any open flame. 

This technique can be used in the field to "Dry Clean" any of your clothing, Sleeping bag liner, etc.  It is an old trick........just remember the WARNING!

George Wallace said:

Warning:  DO NOT SMOKE at any time during this process and keep away from any open flame. 

Oh, come on, George - what's life without a little adventure??

BTW:  George is absolutely correct.  Mineral Spirits (paint thinner), or gasoline work JUST as well - the same warning applies.  (Don't use diesel or lacquer thinner - the one dyes the material, the other bleaches it).

Alternatively, you could buy a new beret.

I've found that using a small amount of laundry detergent  (Tide liguid or powder) and the kitchen sink or laundry tub works very well.  Wash, rince and rince again using liguid fabric softener (to get rid of the warm wet puppy smell) , then a warm rince.  Do not wring it out (this will stretch it) but squeeze dry it then form it to your head while damp.  (do not put too much pressure in your hands when you're forming as this will remove alot of loose fabric and fade the colour) Place on a table edge or keep on your head until mostly dry.  Takes about 10-15 minutes and no fire trucks will need to be called if you screw up!  :-[
I usually replace my beret after four or so years.  My old green one lasted 10 years this way.  My new blue one hasn't been around long enough.  ;D

I've also tried the small amount of detergent not too much though or itll be all soapy and then you're head will itch. Make sure to hang it somehwere with a breeze!! Then I rhink you're good to go. :cheers:

Interesting stuff here.  I've just filled a sink, dunk, swish, rinse, strain, repeat until the water comes out clear.  Reform it for an hour or so, then leave it to dry per norm.

George Wallace said:

George, God asked me to tell you to stop interfering with Darwin.

Callsign Kenny said:
Interesting stuff here.  I've just filled a sink, dunk, swish, rinse, strain, repeat until the water comes out clear.  Reform it for an hour or so, then leave it to dry per norm.

George, God asked me to tell you to stop interfering with Darwin.

Since when were you the RSM?  ;D

rmacqueen said:
He didn't say he was RSM only that the RSM told him  ;D

I see we will have to dig out the rules.......

[Edit:  On consultation of the Personal Attributes Required for Promotion List, I realize my mistake.  Indeed he did state that he was told by the RSM and that would put him in the position of 'Son of God'..........although knowing his personal history he has been disowned and is not an OCdt.]

[Edit:  For consultation of the Personal Attributes Required for Promotion List, please refer to said Topic in the Radio Chatter forums.]

Throw it in the sink, soak it, wash with shampoo (I used baby shampoo), rinse, wring out, dry it overnight shaped as you would wear it on a volleyball or something similar to the size of your melon.

So washing it in boiling water to get the grease out, then chucking it in the dryer in high for an hour is out?  >:D

Duey said:
So washing it in boiling water to get the grease out, then chucking it in the dryer in high for an hour is out?  >:D

No wonder my sons would all ticked off after I did the laundry !!!  :o

Duey said:

That would certainly make it clean.

+1 for shampoo.  lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.  After all it is just head sweat and hair grease  :-X

An addendum to the above mentioned warning:

DO NOT dry any clothing washed with naptha (or any other petroleum product) in the dryer! I have seen the firey results in transient quarters in Edmonton. Kinda funny once the fire was out.

Caesar said:
An addendum to the above mentioned warning:

DO NOT dry any clothing washed with naptha (or any other petroleum product) in the dryer! I have seen the firey results in transient quarters in Edmonton. Kinda funny once the fire was out.

It wasn't as funny in Gagetown.  One hospitalized for Christmas, three others hospitalized for a couple of days.  Blew out the windows in the Washer/Dryer room.  Blew one soldier into the far wall of the Blanco Room.  Flames went through the drains and came up in the Shower Room. 

Do not take your Toboggan Group of naptha soaked tentage and try to dry it in the dryer on the last day of EX before Christmas Lve.

George Wallace said:
It wasn't as funny in Gagetown.  One hospitalized for Christmas, three others hospitalized for a couple of days.  Blew out the windows in the Washer/Dryer room.  Blew one soldier into the far wall of the Blanco Room.  Flames went through the drains and came up in the Shower Room. 

Do not take your Toboggan Group of naptha soaked tentage and try to dry it in the dryer on the last day of EX before Christmas Lve.

Yowzers! This guy on our floor just dried a cbt shirt, blew the door of the dryer open and a little fire in the dryer.

A whole arctic tent? That's a lot of fuel.

Dryers and naptha, DO NOT MIX!

We wash rinse and repeat with baby shampoo.  A few times i put his old one thru the washer in the pocket of his pants by accident, but it was no worse for wear, mind you i did get a scolding.  The baby shampoo is very gentle ( obviously) and is easy to rinse, gets the smell and oil and dirt out. 

Back